Drop Lights...Seriously! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FinallyGotOne!

SILVER Star
Threads
I've had it!! I spend a lot of time in my garage and I work hard to ensure it is functional and effective, and I try to buy the best tools I can afford. Except for the drop light -- I just can't get it right. Every one I buy seems to be an absolute POS!

I have used incandescent caged bulb lights on retractable reels for years and always hated burning myself. And breaking the bulb. Then I went to a florescent/plastic housing light (or three) and dropped and shattered them all. Then I went back to the cage with a compact florescent bulb and it was nice and cool...but it wasn't as bright and those bulbs break too. The one I broke last weekend was rubber coated, so at least clean up was easy. Today I was back to a caged metal light with a rough duty incandescent bulb and almost burnt a hole in my cargo mat.

And out of all of those lights, not one of them ever seemed to want to point in the direction I wanted it to.

I have a nice LED standing light for when things get serious, and I have a 300 watt flood mounted high over my primary workspace as well as a bunch of ceiling lights. But I still want a great light I can quickly pull down from the ceiling when I need it. It has to be nearly indestructible, on a long, retractable cord (at least 25' so I can get out into the trailer in the driveway), and it needs to retract perfectly, every freakin' time, and it needs to shine where I point it without twisting around and lighting the underside of the hood when all I want to do is find the GD bolt I dropped down on the skid plate.

Based on the garages I've been in, I'm gonna guess most of you are already agreeing with me. Who's figured it out? Clue me in!! Which drop light do I buy next?

Was thinking of posting this in SQOD, but after today's near-burn and last week's breakage, I no longer think it's a stupid question and it ain't funny!

I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE! :bang::censor:

I need a :beer:

If you find one you love let us know. Been through a ton myself and haven’t found a perfect option yet either. Currently using an old school cage with an IKEA led bulb. It seems indestructible but not very bright.

Head-Lamp.

Costco, on sale, two for $20.
Three brightness levels up to 405 lumens...
Red & Green light on tap too...
Zooms anywhere between wide and spot...
Always points where your head faces.

Link:
Costco Wholesale

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 2.16.16 PM.png

The LED ones you can buy at Sears and any auto parts stores are sh!t, and break easily, or the LED's lust quit working. I would gladly pay more money for one that would last more than a month.

This isn't entirely are what you are after but I got it a few weeks ago and have used it for all kinds of things. I have clamped it to my hood, hauled it under the house, put it on a stand to work in the backyard at night.
I hate the caged lights, halogen is to hot, and the retractable cord kinds just suck.
They make different wattage and if I decide this one sucks down the road I can toss it next to all the others. It is a compromise.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K...lood+light&dpPl=1&dpID=51BVI6QywKL&ref=plSrch

I haven't used a corded light in many years. I have a nice LED light that works with my Makita LXT batteries, it works great, very bright, lasts for hours. Very durable, I've dropped it many times.

And a decent Petzl headlight. Invaluable.

Thanks for your responses.

Found these, which answer my bulb requirements but doesn't help with the holder/retractable cord, etc.
DropLED Pro (Expensive Bulb Only)
https://troublefreelighting.com/product/the-trouble-free-led-work-light/ (One Year Warranty, Bulb and housing, no reel)

And these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCOAG4G/ref=psdc_5772204011_t2_B005G2SEC8 (Looks good, but no outlet)
https://www.amazon.com/Alert-Stampi...01EMA0OGS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 (Maybe, but one reviewer commented on weak retraction)
CordReel Worklights (I like the LED one at the bottom of the page. Contacted company to find out where to purchase)

Thanks for the all of the responses. After even more searching, I settled on a 12 Watt 1000 Lumen SMD LED 50 Ft Cord Reel Work Light manufactured by Alert Stamping, part number 8050MHS

I installed it today and am very pleased. The reel is heavy duty and can be removed from the wall mount and carried to another location. The 50' cord is 14 gauge, the light is super bright, and the light body should be very survivable. It has both a magnetic mount and a hook, as well as a grounded outlet.

Purchased through Amazon from Kamrock Lights at lights.us.com I ordered it Tuesday and it arrived Thursday.

Couldn't be happier. This thing is exactly what I wanted and I highly recommend it!

12 Watt 1000 Lumen SMD LED 50 Ft Cord Reel Work Light [8050MHS] - $109.95 : Kamrock Lights!, LED Lights, Bulbs, Extension Cords, Reels, & LED Accent Lighting | Kamrock Lights

We use one like that...an led worklight. It's ok but limitations with the plastic hook. Hard to get it in tight places. Especially when working under the vehicle and looking up. Too big to shove up in a hole and hard to find a place to hook it.

To compliment that light I suggest something like these Smart Gear tripod lights. 3 in 1 snap together led flashlight with charge base. These have heads that articulate. They are slim in design so can get up in tight spaces. Direct the light on the bolt. are pretty much bomb proof as evident by them surviving about 2 years in the shop without breaking. They break down into three separate flashlights and each has enough light for working inside the vehicle. We have these but without the red reflective lens on the side.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Gear-R...rd_wg=qoyC9&psc=1&refRID=JF4HE5EW71KEN2W0TGMY

I've had it!! I spend a lot of time in my garage and I work hard to ensure it is functional and effective, and I try to buy the best tools I can afford. Except for the drop light -- I just can't get it right. Every one I buy seems to be an absolute POS!

I have used incandescent caged bulb lights on retractable reels for years and always hated burning myself. And breaking the bulb. Then I went to a florescent/plastic housing light (or three) and dropped and shattered them all. Then I went back to the cage with a compact florescent bulb and it was nice and cool...but it wasn't as bright and those bulbs break too. The one I broke last weekend was rubber coated, so at least clean up was easy. Today I was back to a caged metal light with a rough duty incandescent bulb and almost burnt a hole in my cargo mat.

And out of all of those lights, not one of them ever seemed to want to point in the direction I wanted it to.

I have a nice LED standing light for when things get serious, and I have a 300 watt flood mounted high over my primary workspace as well as a bunch of ceiling lights. But I still want a great light I can quickly pull down from the ceiling when I need it. It has to be nearly indestructible, on a long, retractable cord (at least 25' so I can get out into the trailer in the driveway), and it needs to retract perfectly, every freakin' time, and it needs to shine where I point it without twisting around and lighting the underside of the hood when all I want to do is find the GD bolt I dropped down on the skid plate.

Based on the garages I've been in, I'm gonna guess most of you are already agreeing with me. Who's figured it out? Clue me in!! Which drop light do I buy next?

Was thinking of posting this in SQOD, but after today's near-burn and last week's breakage, I no longer think it's a stupid question and it ain't funny!

I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE! :bang::censor:

I need a :beer:

I have had the exact same scenarios.

Now that I am much older and damn near blind, I have found the headlamp is the right choice for me. A set of 3 AAA batteries will last about 8 hours for me. I prefer the Energizer Brand that has 4 (or more) bulbs (I forget how many lumens...) but I get three light level settings and it places the light exactly where I need it.....Where I'm looking.

My wife thinks I'm a goof ball because I wear it for every project and I don't really care if the neighbors see me wearing it. I just tell their kids to get off my lawn anyway!

I've been using a MYCHANIC Podlight lately when I'm under the vehicle.
upload_2018-2-20_13-53-56.png

I use one of those metal funnel looking lights with the spring loaded clamp.
41Dyfq05KFL._AC_US218_.jpg

Seen some good reviews and recommendations on this guy. Was just on sale for $19.99.
390 Lumen Magnetic Slim Bar Folding LED Worklight
Ended up buying one of these guys and damn is that thing bright. Little awkward due to it having a longish handle and the magnet being at the base but does the job nicely. The ability to pivot the head, which has a light on the very end for those places you need some more pinpoint light. Well worth the $20 with the coupon I found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom