2018 Rubithon Wagon Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks like I’ll be tying the knot with my gal RIGHT before rubithon, so thanks for joining us on our “honeymoon” haha!
Congratulations!!!! My wife and I will be hitting our 30th wedding anniversary on this run!!

IMG_6985.JPG

don't forget to get something under the belly. this thing took some hits and I was turtled on a rock for a bit and it saved my ass.
Especially now since I had Dom at Valley Hybrids put in the low gears and rebuild the Tcase with Overdrives also last year I really don't want to mess around around.

There are other options out there, but if all your focusing on to get the rig trail ready is lockers, you should really beef up the stock cover.
Getting over the hump mid way up Cadillac Hill never gets easier.

IMG_6942.JPG

and start scouring the toy isles for kids raffle prizes.
100_1569.JPG

long shadow.jpg

View attachment 1633240

don't forget to get something under the belly. this thing took some hits and I was turtled on a rock for a bit and it saved my ass.
Especially now since I had Dom at Valley Hybrids put in the low gears and rebuild the Tcase with Overdrives also last year I really don't want to mess around around.

There are other options out there, but if all your focusing on to get the rig trail ready is lockers, you should really beef up the stock cover.
Getting over the hump mid way up Cadillac Hill never gets easier.

View attachment 1633241
and start scouring the toy isles for kids raffle prizes.
View attachment 1633242

View attachment 1633243

Adding to what pablo said... a rear driveshaft might be something worth thinking about. I'm sure I'm going to hit mine hard enough to mess it up at some point. I have some nice pinstripes that could've easily ruined it.
MVIMG_20180202_153832.jpg

IMG_20180202_153826.jpg

Adding to what pablo said... a rear driveshaft might be something worth thinking about. I'm sure I'm going to hit mine hard enough to mess it up at some point. I have some nice pinstripes that could've easily ruined it.
View attachment 1634347

View attachment 1634348

In Johnny's pic you might notice that his lower control arms look a bit odd. Our family's 80's all have this reinforcement that we worked up - 1/4" top, bottom and side plate reinforcing. Essentially we 'boxed in' the stock control arm tubing. The composite section is 10x stiffer and stronger in bending than the stock item. The side plates are tapered near the top at the frame end, and the top plate is shorter, in order to not interfere with upward rotation of the control arm at the frame-side housing. If anyone wants the drawings to do this themselves, let me know and I'll provide them, as well as some advice on the welding.

You should still try and miss some of the rocks. ;)
I try, but I don't have a nimble little 40. Of course, those photos were taken when I had 33" tires and a lower lift and higher gearing. Funny thing is I currently have 35"s, another inch of lift and lower gearing but I still manage to hit a few rocks.

Finally get to reveal this year's Rubithon event T-shirts. This year we chose to honor and showcase Greg Leal's FJ40. Greg is the only person to have never missed a Rubithon.

Special thanks to Shannon Chard for again knocking our shirt design out of the park!

Just 2 more days to get your registrations in to be included in February’s extra grand prize ticket drawing!

rubithon18_back_CLEAN_blank.jpg

My son John (14) and I will be joining the Wagon run this year. I've run the Rubicon a couple times in my 80 and once in my 40, but it has been eight or nine years since the last trip. Our 80 is set up for overland in Baja, but the 295/75 (~34.5"), 2.5" lift, and armor seem to do okay on the rocks. We will have CO2 and a welder on board and a decent selection of spare parts. Looking forward to a great trip.

Cheers,

Rod

My son John (14) and I will be joining the Wagon run this year. I've run the Rubicon a couple times in my 80 and once in my 40, but it has been eight or nine years since the last trip. Our 80 is set up for overland in Baja, but the 295/75 (~34.5"), 2.5" lift, and armor seem to do okay on the rocks. We will have CO2 and a welder on board and a decent selection of spare parts. Looking forward to a great trip.

Cheers,

Rod

Awesome, thanks for signing up! Sounds like your dialed in but if you need anything let us know. Looking forward to meeting you and your son.

Okay, folks, we knew interest this year for the 30th Annual Rubithon was going to be high, and it is! It's not even the end of February and there are only TWO MORE SPOTS left open for this year's Wagon Run. If you're still on the fence or know someone who is, NOW is the time to act!!

SEP_7036_DxO_R1.jpg

Look at that traffic jam!!!

And, Rod, my son Porter is coming along - he's 15. He drove my FJ60 on the entire trail last year.

We will come in the next day (Thursday Morning breakfast run) after the wagons have stacked all the rocks for us, doh! Just hoping they save a spot for us in wagon town.

We will come in the next day (Thursday Morning breakfast run) after the wagons have stacked all the rocks for us, doh! Just hoping they save a spot for us in wagon town.

Well then you should be all set! You see, I figure the Tuesday GX/FJC/120 guys will have it paved for us - so doubly paved for you :). We'll all squeeze in at Wagon Town, going to be cozy this year for sure, but fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom