Engine Help!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(96 FJZ) Bought an replacement engine from Powertrain Direct—wholesaler for LKQ.. due to lowering bearing knocking and now they are giving me the run around as far as when it will be done and just bad service overall....looking to cancel the order but the mechanic i have it at now is quoting me 8k for a full rebuild. Looking for any direction/options— I just want my LC back and getting really frustrated as I’m not well rounded in this area.

Find a used engine if you can. Cheaper than a full rebuild. You can freshen it up with a head refresh and all new gaskets and seals. Just did mine. I think I was under $2K for parts. I did it myself so it saves $$$. The factory service manual is great!!!! It can help you through it if you DIY it.

You can still buy a short block from Toyota for just under $4k, rebuild your head for about $600, pick up the other misc. parts and a Toyota gasket kit. That will come in well under $8k but you will have to do the work yourself. I would say that half of your mechanics quote is labor.

I see you are in the rust belt. Is the body on your 80 worthy of spending that kind of money on a heart transplant? Simply finding a good used engine and dropping it in might just be your best bet.

You can still buy a short block from Toyota for just under $4k, rebuild your head for about $600, pick up the other misc. parts and a Toyota gasket kit. That will come in well under $8k but you will have to do the work yourself. I would say that half of your mechanics quote is labor.

I see you are in the rust belt. Is the body on your 80 worthy of spending that kind of money on a heart transplant? Simply finding a good used engine and dropping it in might just be your best bet.
Thanks for the advice— I’m trying to get away from doing the heavy labor so I know there are going to be some costs there—only nice part from LKQ is that it’s a 3 year unlimited mile warranty with free replacement Long block if needed for $3700 which is why I went down that road—and yes SE Indiana is in the rust belt but the bones are in great shape—garage kept most of her life by a doctor. My mechanic can get a used motor from Jasper as well, maybe go that route and have him put on All New gaskets???

Find a used engine if you can. Cheaper than a full rebuild. You can freshen it up with a head refresh and all new gaskets and seals. Just did mine. I think I was under $2K for parts. I did it myself so it saves $$$. The factory service manual is great!!!! It can help you through it if you DIY it.
Any ideas on finding a used engine??

Try Wanted/For sale. Classifieds

Your cheapest alternative is to buy a used engine, complete. Especially if you aren't interested in doing your own work. If you're afraid of someone's parts, buy a separate insurance policy (warranty).

I have a couple good runners currently, both 94s. They will work with 95+ you just need to swap the oil pans.

i also have a 94 engine that runs. it would ALWAYS suggest you pull the head and have it built on a used engine. no reason not to do it while it is out of the truck and get a fresh head gasket and valve seals.

I have an engine with only 20k on a documented rebuild but it’s on the west coast. I was saving it for myself because my runner has 281k miles. I’m not sure I’ll ever need to replace it as it runs like a teenager.

I’m not sure I’ll ever need to replace it as it runs like a teenager.

So it spouts off about late stage capitalism and complains about how Baby Boomers have wrecked everything? Probably a perfectly good motor, but I would probably swap it out, just so I didn't have to listen to that tripe every time I needed to go on a beer run. Just sayin' ;)

So it spouts off about late stage capitalism and complains about how Baby Boomers have wrecked everything? Probably a perfectly good motor, but I would probably swap it out, just so I didn't have to listen to that tripe every time I needed to go on a beer run. Just sayin' ;)

Sounds like it needs a muffler. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom