New TRD Pro 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogfishlake

"Go on a living spree"
Supporting Vendor
Threads
My wife and I just brought home our new TRD Pro. I don't know that this will be a real build thread as I don't plan to do a whole lot to it (read: my wife won't let me do a whole lot to it because it's primarily her ride and she likes it as is), but for sure some stuff to be done, so here goes.

First off, I hadn't planned on buying new, or another 4runner for that matter (we had a 2011 limited). I really wanted a used 200 and still do, but this is my wifes ride and she likes the 4runner. Before giving in I tried pushing the GX460 as well but she still wouldn't budge even though our oldest daughter drives a GX470 that we all really like. So off to Craigslist I went in search of a low mileage late 4runner which led me to the fact that they weren't that much less $$ than new. Next up, Toyota.com to compare used to new. Hmmmm, new really isn't a bad way to go right?

We chose the Pro even though we mostly won't NEED it because I believe it will hold value really well, we can and will use it for some adventure trips, my wife doesn't care for me modding her truck much (I already have the 80 to do mods on), and I can't deny it looks damn cool.

I tried the dealer nearest me about ordering one because there are none to be found on a lot anywhere nearby. I got a pretty cocky response as if they were doing me a favor bothering to sell me one soooo, off to Crown Toyota in Holland MI for another go at it. The sales staff was great and they were excited to help get the truck ordered.

The estimate was for a 4 month wait but it turned out to only be 2 months. Got the call on Dec 7th that it was being built that day..... still am amazed it was THAT day.

Picked it up here in Michigan on Jan 30th

At the dealership, no snow
FullSizeR1.jpg

Snow at home (40 miles north)
20180130_192029.jpg

Safe in the garage
20180130_211854.jpg

Day two was 16 hours of wax every painted part top to bottom ; wax on all the plastic lenses; 303 protectant on engine hoses, clamps, bolts, plastic; fluid film underneath; clear coat underneath on zinc bolts, shock bodies, clamps; cooking spray in the door weep holes and other crevices, Scotchgard on the carpet.

Lastly was installing the Slee sliders that have been waiting patiently for over a month.
20180131_094546.jpg
20180131_111018.jpg
20180131_100306.jpg
20180131_100651.jpg
20180131_195628.jpg

I give much credit to @wngrog the idea for the sliders and also the xenon depot light kit that showed up today. Still have to put it on
20180202_134747.jpg

She (the Pro) finally saw the light of day, and my wife really likes it.

20180131_160441.jpg
20180131_160519.jpg

I'm not afraid to get it dirty using it as intended, but ih8rust so it will get washed/waxed plenty. I'm not normally a new car guy so this investment will only make good sense to me in the years ahead, but I think if I buy the best Toyota I can and take MUD-like care of it, the future value will be there, plus the adventure memories.

I'm not afraid to get it dirty using it as intended, but ih8rust so it will get washed/waxed plenty. I'm not normally a new car guy so this investment will only make good sense to me in the years ahead, but I think if I buy the best Toyota I can and take MUD-like care of it, the future value will be there, plus the adventure memories.

Nice ride!

Do you use fluid film by chance? I've heard good things and just applied some to my Tundra. I was curious to hear your opinion since you are way up north in the rust zone and likely know what works and what doesn't work.

By the way, we have a 2017 TRD PRO 4Runner in Cement Gray. :cheers:

Nice ride!

Do you use fluid film by chance? I've heard good things and just applied some to my Tundra. I was curious to hear your opinion since you are way up north in the rust zone and likely know what works and what doesn't work.

By the way, we have a 2017 TRD PRO 4Runner in Cement Gray. :cheers:

Love the grey. I like that there is a special color every year, but we just couldn't quite talk ourelves into the blue this year. I like it, but the black won out.

This is my first truck I have done the fluid film on so not so sure how it works. My other Cruisers were all a bit rough underneath when I bought them so my approach on those was to use the iron phosphate pretreatment wash that I use at my powder coating business for washing/prepping steel. It works very well to halt rust on bare or rusted steel on the bottom of the vehicle but since the truck is new and everything is painted, coated and plated I thought the fluid film was a better approach. Any way to get an oxygen barrier on there is good. I have had good success with cheap non stick cooking spray too, but it needs to be done a lot. At $1.50 a can it's no big deal though.

Magnuson is making a supercharger for those. We had one of the first ones at the dealer a few weeks ago. I think they are still ironing out the details b4 they are for sale to the public. We have had a lot of people buying limited or sr5 4runners and then just install the pro grill and badging.
20171229_153957-1008x756.jpg

Good looking ride. We love our '15 TEP, really wanted a pro but we got such a good deal on this I couldn't pass it up. Though I wish now after 4 winters I had gone as overkill as you with the protectant under the hood and on the underside.

Magnuson is making a supercharger for those. We had one of the first ones at the dealer a few weeks ago. I think they are still ironing out the details b4 they are for sale to the public. We have had a lot of people buying limited or sr5 4runners and then just install the pro grill and badging.
View attachment 1625100

I've been eyeing the Magnusson site. A supercharger would be just what that 4.0 needs. I don't hate the power it has, but more would be great. You really have to get into a special state of mind to spend $5K plus on it though (many :beer::beer:?).

I've got a SC on my 80 and it is great. Not for long though, sold it and am building a turbo manifold for it presently. But that's another story.

Good looking ride. We love our '15 TEP, really wanted a pro but we got such a good deal on this I couldn't pass it up. Though I wish now after 4 winters I had gone as overkill as you with the protectant under the hood and on the underside.

The big question is whether I can keep it up! Hope too. So much of that is driven by the stress of signing over for that kind of $$. If I could spend that much on a good vintage Cruiser in perfect shape (I can't), say a perfect FJ45, FJ55, LHD diesel HZJ73 etc, I would be very comfortable with its future value. The TRD Pro is a bigger risk but not terrible. Plus every daily vehicle has a fixed monthly cost anyway. My rationale at least.

I've been eyeing the Magnusson site. A supercharger would be just what that 4.0 needs. I don't hate the power it has, but more would be great. You really have to get into a special state of mind to spend $5K plus on it though (many :beer::beer:?).

I've got a SC on my 80 and it is great. Not for long though, sold it and am building a turbo manifold for it presently. But that's another story.

Oh no, sold the S/C on the 80....

Oh no, sold the S/C on the 80....
Yes sir! Going on my sister's (formerly my) white 80. My plan for my 80 is Borg Warner EFR, J-pipe manifold, Haltech piggyback, bigger injectors, etc. 15 psi.

Power at crank 500-600 hp!
If I can swing the $$

What a sweet looking rig, hands down I need a 4Runner. I've gone back and forth, over and over, but for what I get and want there really is no other rig that's reliable and offers all it does for the money.

What a sweet looking rig, hands down I need a 4Runner. I've gone back and forth, over and over, but for what I get and want there really is no other rig that's reliable and offers all it does for the money.

Full disclosure, I tried really hard to get my wife on board with a used 200. She was not going for it, as she liked our '11 4runner limited so much. We have driven it very little so far trying to keep it to a minimum on the salty roads but it is really a nice rig for the money.

I need to get better pictures of the Slee sliders but I will say that if you are considering the running boards from Toyota, skip it and spend a few extra hundred bucks for these. They are a true slider unlike a running board, but they are also a step which is a bonus for my wife. They are built very well and were in stock so I had them super quick.

The sliders require that you drill the passenger side frame holes out (3 of them) and install supplied riv nuts. No problem but the bit and tool are kinda pricey.

*edit- the bit and riv nut tool only SEEM pricey because you likely will never need them again. The sliders are totally worth it!

I will be happy to send these to anyone buying a set of sliders for $0 as long as you offer them up to the next mud member for free.

Pm me if you need them

Last edited:
I need to get better pictures of the Slee sliders but I will say that if you are considering the running boards from Toyota, skip it and spend a few extra hundred bucks for these. They are a true slider unlike a running board, but they are also a step which is a bonus for my wife. They are built very well and were in stock so I had them super quick.

The sliders require that you drill the passenger side frame holes out (3 of them) and install supplied riv nuts. No problem but the bit and tool are kinda pricey.

I will be happy to send these to anyone buying a set of sliders for $0 as long as you offer them up to the next mud member for free.

Pm me if you need them

I opted for Slee as well...couldn't be happier..strong as hell, look good, made well. Win, win all the way around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom