4.88's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would you have been happy with 6.35:1 gears? :D

I'm still blown away, especially with the dramatically deeper 1st of the 80F. Chart time :cool:

Edit: and I want a 16+ now

Last edited:
I have a 2014. So it's good to go with 4.88's and actually if anything my mpg would get better at the best or bare minimum stay the same since I could actually use 5th/6th gear on the highway right now mine basically stays in 4th.

That's very interesting with the 2016+ and the 8 speed transmission!! Huge difference and not something I had ever thought of.

This is all very interesting! My gearbox is different than you guys. I have the H150F manual with gears as follows: 1st: 4.529:1 2nd: 2.464:1 3rd: 1.490:1 4th: 1.000:1 5th 0.811:1 Reverse: 4.313:1 with 4.10's in the diff's and a 4low of 2.488. The 4.5 V8 loves it and seems to do well on the fuel side of things too. I traveled about 384 miles of various pavement types (serra de leba in Angola, stop and go in town, 140kph hwy) and still managed about 20.5 mpg! All the talk about re-gearing peaked my interest, but I think I'll stick with throwing lockers in the diff's and calling it good.

This was talked about in another thread, comparing the 6-speed vs 8-speed. It's more useful to talk about overall ratio, as the new 8-speed mixes up the internal transmission ratios and diff ratios to get the gearing they need. The 8-speed is really the best of both worlds. It has a gear spread that is way wide, giving the low end grunt gears of almost a 6-speed with 4.88s, yet overdrive gearing that's taller. I tow a pretty large travel trailer. While the 6-speed works great with my 33's, I'd likely have to re-gear for taller tires. Would love a 16+ cruiser one day, for the additional intermediate gearing choices and better downhill engine braking on the steepest grades.

I know there's different opinions here, but I believe that the 8-speed would practically never need re-gearing. Even up to 35++. Only thing one will want to do is use S7 to limit the transmission from using the tallest 8th gear with big tires.

Comparison of overall gearing inclusive of transmission and rear end: far left is stock 6-speed gearing, modded 6-speed with 4.3, modded 6-speed with 4.88. Far right is stock 8-speed gearing.

LCdiffratios.JPG

As a heads-up, this afternoon I called Just Differentials and they received the 4.88 gears for the Land Cruiser 200, 6 speed models-2008-18 this morning. These kits are now in the system and available for purchase.

As a heads-up, this afternoon I called Just Differentials and they received the 4.88 gears for the Land Cruiser 200, 6 speed models-2008-18 this morning. These kits are now in the system and available for purchase.

Did you mean 2008-15? Or did they also get gears for 16-18 8 speed models?

Pretty sure it’s the same basic gears plus a slightly different pinion spacer or something. The pre-16 carrier doesn’t come with the kit but is mentioned in the item description.

Pretty sure it’s the same basic gears plus a slightly different pinion spacer or something. The pre-16 carrier doesn’t come with the kit but is mentioned in the item description.

I was thinking CO was putting together pre-builds or something... Maybe not.

Markuson, sorry I was typing on my iPad and my fat fingers didn't get the numbers right. Yes I meant 2008-15. Take care...

Interesting. Maybe I need to give them a call and see if mine shipped. I'd really like to get them installed before Baja.
Tony, I called and ordered yesterday afternoon and they shipped them with tracking within a few hours. You may want to call and check on your order.

I'm still blown away, especially with the dramatically deeper 1st of the 80F. Chart time :cool:

Edit: and I want a 16+ now

@cruiseroutfit, YES! - that's exactly one of the reasons I was sold on the new 2017 vs getting an older one (That, and it's new :) ). The gear range with the 8-speed is pretty impressive right out of the box, and with the locking center diff and crawl control, it was looking better and better against getting an older LC and modding it with new gears, lockers etc. I have yet to do anything more than light trail riding, and don't plan to do any hard-core rock-crawling (I don't think), but so far I am liking it. I don't really see needing to put lower gears in the diffs, and I don't think I will need lockers - at least not yet. I am just going to try tires and a slight lift with new coil-overs and such to start with, instead of getting into the drive train (and, I'm still under the factory warranty, too).

The only drawback I have seen so far about the deep first gear in the '17 is that in our fabulous stop-and-go traffic here in Atlanta, I am constantly falling in a hole when it goes into first at around 4-5 mph. I have to be careful not to jam it with too much throttle when that happens because I don't like punishing my transmission. But, it feels sluggish and sort of stumbles as it's in and out of 2nd right at that speed, and it's a bit of a pain to deal with in the traffic. So I try to keep a separation and maintain a rolling 5+ mph to keep it in 2nd. I have tried the ECT 2nd Start function, and that's good on the interstate jams, but it also re-programs the throttle response, and makes keeping up a little more of a challenge.

Interesting. Maybe I need to give them a call and see if mine shipped. I'd really like to get them installed before Baja.

In the event your not adverse to engaging in commerce with us (Cruiser Outfitters), we've had the Nitro Gears in stock and have them in stock this entire time. No reason to wait? You'll not only want to leave time for the install but also a proper break-in which is VERY important on these gears. My 2 cents.

@cruiseroutfit, YES! - that's exactly one of the reasons I was sold on the new 2017 vs getting an older one (That, and it's new :) ). The gear range with the 8-speed is pretty impressive right out of the box, and with the locking center diff and crawl control, it was looking better and better against getting an older LC and modding it with new gears, lockers etc. I have yet to do anything more than light trail riding, and don't plan to do any hard-core rock-crawling (I don't think), but so far I am liking it. I don't really see needing to put lower gears in the diffs, and I don't think I will need lockers - at least not yet. I am just going to try tires and a slight lift with new coil-overs and such to start with, instead of getting into the drive train (and, I'm still under the factory warranty, too).

The only drawback I have seen so far about the deep first gear in the '17 is that in our fabulous stop-and-go traffic here in Atlanta, I am constantly falling in a hole when it goes into first at around 4-5 mph. I have to be careful not to jam it with too much throttle when that happens because I don't like punishing my transmission. But, it feels sluggish and sort of stumbles as it's in and out of 2nd right at that speed, and it's a bit of a pain to deal with in the traffic. So I try to keep a separation and maintain a rolling 5+ mph to keep it in 2nd. I have tried the ECT 2nd Start function, and that's good on the interstate jams, but it also re-programs the throttle response, and makes keeping up a little more of a challenge.

That is interesting to hear. I drove the XO 200 Series through a fair bit of large metro area traffic, though it's heavy and had a trailer in tow so I didnd't event notice the "too low" 1st. I can see how that would be a bit awkward feeling having driven other vehicles with a deep 1st. Where is that 2nd Start button :D

In the event your not adverse to engaging in commerce with us (Cruiser Outfitters), we've had the Nitro Gears in stock and have them in stock this entire time. No reason to wait? You'll not only want to leave time for the install but also a proper break-in which is VERY important on these gears. My 2 cents.

Yeah I had no idea you guys had them in stock otherwise I would have gotten them from you. If I don't get an answer from JD I'll cancel my order

I have a question about break in. I followed the procedure set forth by Nitro with the 500 easy miles and then I did another 60 loaded and easy. Then I changed fluid. But immediately after that I took the truck to Mojave and wheeled it pretty hard. So hard in fact that my CV snapped. I felt it binding halfway thru the first day and it snapped on day two.

Since changing the axle, it runs fine now. I’m super sensitive to noises in the axle now and feel like I hear something off when I’m hitting whoops and my front goes to full droop.

Would it have been wise after changing fluid, to have done some more easy miles to let the oil breakdown a bit before running the truck hard? Do you think the gears could be compromised?

I have a question about break in. I followed the procedure set forth by Nitro with the 500 easy miles and then I did another 60 loaded and easy. Then I changed fluid. But immediately after that I took the truck to Mojave and wheeled it pretty hard. So hard in fact that my CV snapped. I felt it binding halfway thru the first day and it snapped on day two.

Since changing the axle, it runs fine now. I’m super sensitive to noises in the axle now and feel like I hear something off when I’m hitting whoops and my front goes to full droop.

Would it have been wise after changing fluid, to have done some more easy miles to let the oil breakdown a bit before running the truck hard? Do you think the gears could be compromised?

Are you lifted? Do you have aftermarket UCAs? Aside from @TexAZ, who runs Tundra arms and CVs, I don't know if anyone who has posted on this forum that they've broken a CV wheeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom