Builds Goat. A 1967 survivor FJ-45 LWB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the mean time I peeked at the marker lights of which neither was working.

Drivers side only needed a bulb. Awesome.

Passenger side was a different story. Total roach fest

F367DC57-8859-40F4-8EBB-A76CF4D330A8.jpeg

I cleaned it up and ended up robbing an old Pig taillight for the spring and posts. These were gone.

C7DB8630-3EFB-4A2C-931C-D46106B512CE.jpeg

All back in. I need a chrome ring if anyone has a spare I can buy

783C26FF-A93E-434A-A8CC-5810118354A4.jpeg

2697CBA2-4E22-4F04-B95F-977C68390222.jpeg

Small victories.

9B04C51E-B70D-492E-B8B5-0830DA19F88B.jpeg

I saw one of these at 49Tire the other day and it’s bad ass. You can use as a test light or click a toggle and send power. Really nice. Amazon $65

I chased grounds and wiring for 2 solid hours and could not find why the headlights were heating up the fuse.

I could hold my IR gauge on the fuse and it would reach 130* in seconds.

@tornadoalleycruiser suggested I add breakers to the system to take the load off the old system.

I loaded up the 60 and grabbed the requisite parts to do the modification listed here from a link @under_psi sent me

It was a pretty straightforward deal. The only thing I did different was put the relays between the dimmer switch and the factory harness.

I checked all the connections and wanted to try it this way before I ran new lines all over this pretty stock engine bay

I also had to run power to both the relays versus bumping the high beam one off the low beam one in the video

What a mess

D15B324D-FFBC-4CD2-BBA6-415A41B4A321.jpeg

But I got it nice and tidy

60190948-4E56-4B2A-8117-1F7F092EA575.jpeg

So now the lights work and the fuse sits at 65 degrees.

I started at 6 am and finished at 6 pm only taking about an hour to go to the parts house.

Wiring sucks.

73CE1C0F-D05E-488D-AF69-9C941F4AA689.jpeg

Thanks to all those that chipped in and brainstormed this one with me

I have a marker light ring for you. I'll be home in a few days and I'll get it to you. Shoot me a pm with your info.

Regards
Mark

Good job! I didnt get to a computer in time to explain all the wiring diagnostics. Later you can trace where the ground fault is but it appears to be somewhere from the foot switch to the headlights. If you redo wiring from coolerman you can then tap into the high low on the junction on the pass fender hiding the new wires. Somewhere the wire is possibly corroded or the insulation is grounding out. Food for thought and a day late and dollar short but the relay assemblies are about $20 on amazon prime. Not quite as satisfying as a diy thing. My horn relay was toast and wired in a new relay the same way. Research and redo. Ground switch power relay vs hot powered was the only difference

I have the pn for the marker lights in the garage if u need. But white lenses are only avail from kurt or sor. They come with orange. I has to modify one to clear my 60 power steering box. You can also convert them to turn and park by adding a different base with 2 wires.

Good job! I didnt get to a computer in time to explain all the wiring diagnostics. Later you can trace where the ground fault is but it appears to be somewhere from the foot switch to the headlights. If you redo wiring from coolerman you can then tap into the high low on the junction on the pass fender hiding the new wires. Somewhere the wire is possibly corroded or the insulation is grounding out. Food for thought and a day late and dollar short but the relay assemblies are about $20 on amazon prime. Not quite as satisfying as a diy thing. My horn relay was toast and wired in a new relay the same way. Research and redo. Ground switch power relay vs hot powered was the only difference

I don’t pretend to know what you are saying here but I’m sure there is a bad wire under the dash somewhere. The rest I traced and touched and tested the circuit.

Thanks again for chiming in.

You fixed the problem that is all that matters. In english. Run 2 new color coded wires from dimmer switch to the pass side fender junction box and hide those relays in the bib. I know how important it is to you to keep it stock looking. The two wires from the dimmer terminate at the pass junction and then goto the headlight harness that is neatly hidden below the bib

nope. if it ain't still broke..

I have the pn for the marker lights in the garage if u need. But white lenses are only avail from kurt or sor. They come with orange. I has to modify one to clear my 60 power steering box. You can also convert them to turn and park by adding a different base with 2 wires.

We offer them prebuilt with the clear lenses too :D

IMG_3835.JPG

Rumor has it those red/reds are waiting in the snow back home too :D

I spent way more time fixing the one bad one with I see, the wrong lense color, to toss it at This point but great to know.

Just send me a total on the tail lenses I’ll send a PayPal. Thank you!!

I have been going back and forth on what I want to do about the brakes and I have decided to make these drums work. There is just too much of my beautiful original truck that will have to change to make front discs work.

I ordered some new drums. I figured one reason I can’t get the fronts to catch before the rear brakes lock is my drums must be worn.

They came in today and they were just a hair thicker and of course once on the truck they would not fit.

Ugh.

I buttoned up the passenger side and looked at the driver side and one of the cylinders was leaking a little. I changed it. Tightened it all up and went for a ride.

Still locking the rears up.

Dammit.

But I got a cool pic at the farm Down the road.

9C2CE0CC-EA34-4228-984D-2F5A2CA882A8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom