fj60 parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm starting to get parts to finish my 71 fj40, body is done, now need to source mechanical parts to finish. I came across a 1987 fj60 on cl and was wondering which parts would fit. how hard would it be to use the front end, rear end, engine and transmission? Also things like power steering , disc brakes,shocks,and driveshafts? thanks appreciate helpful information!!

With a little work and welding skills the axles are an easy swap the engine trans and transfer will fit too with a little work (Crossmember, move torque tube, rethink e brake, etc.) the steering is usable as well with some mods. It just depends on your level of skill, and the time and $ you want to spend.

The 60 axles are about 3" wider than the 40s, they can be swapped in with some fabrication. The 2F engine will drop right in, dunno about tranny & T/C. If you get the axles and engine in, power steering and front discs should be easy to hook up. No doubt the driveshafts will have to modified.

Easy and good to use the axles. Motor too. But the 87 trans has a spacer and is inconveniently long in an FJ40 and the Transfercase has no ebrake.

I put FJ60 axles under my FJ40 years ago and it's a very good swap.

But if you use the rest of it, I'll take the transfercase off your hands for reasonable $ as I could use it in my 62 project.

With a little work and welding skills the axles are an easy swap the engine trans and transfer will fit too with a little work (Crossmember, move torque tube, rethink e brake, etc.) the steering is usable as well with some mods. It just depends on your level of skill, and the time and $ you want to spend.

why does the torque tube, behind the t-case need to be moved ?

why does the torque tube, behind the t-case need to be moved ?

Because the overall length of the transmission and transfer case assembly from the 1987 FJ-60 is significantly longer than the three speed transmission and transfer case assembly.

i thought if U were using the split transfer case from the 60 and Not keeping the parking brake drum , and it was a 4 speed gear box trans , there was enough room to leave the torque tube as is location

it really all comes down to the parking brake drum , i thought

am i wrong ?

You are wrong.

The '87 has an extra long transmission so the whole combo is much too long for an early frame. Thus, the "torque tube" will not allow this without relocating the torque tube to the rear.

Later FJ60 had a spacer added to the transmission to make them the same length as the H55 5 speed transmission so they were direct swappable on the assembly line. No need for different driveshafts at the factory.

An early FJ60 4 speed is the same length as the 4 speed from an FJ40 from the mid 70's.

Shifter comes out of the top of the tranny a few inches different than a FJ40 4speed and they are both different from the placement of the shifter for a 3speed. Requires messing with the tranny cover.

Torque tube may be a problem no matter what on a 71. My April of 73 FJ40 appears to have the torque tube in the proper spot for a 4speed or 3 speed, as my swap went fine. But I wonder if the upcoming change to a 4 speed, and the actual option of a 4 speed in some markets by 73 had already gotten the torque tube moved by then.

FJ60 drivetrain is a good swap though. It runs smoother and quieter than a 1F/3speed/transfer combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom