$2000 hanging on my rear bumper..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2 Rock Warriors and 2 new tires = $2000 give or take a few clams ....right. Ugg that kinda hurts
having $2k just in spare tires. Most of the time I'll just carry one spare. But when I do something wild like Alaska to the tip of Chile or go down to Guatemala to see the new archeology they recently discovered. I'm sure I'll be glad I have two spares hanging on my Trail Tailor bumper.

(BTW I'm going to be all over that recent find in Guatemala pretty soon.)

It didn't bother me paying for lockers or 4.88's but spares I may never use is kinda hard to choke down. It's a good reason to stay with the same tire in the future...... But that is hard to do cuz it is fun to try others.
It would help if manufacturers would actually produce tires that were the diameter they quote.
I'm about to pull the trigger on some Toyo open country MT's in 295/70R17 flavor. They are 33.5" and 11.9 wide. Big enough footprint for me.
I'm gonna hold off a while since my trip out to see Jason @ Trail Tailor is 6000 miles out and back. I'll just run on my street tires although I'm dying to see some big paws on my rig now!!
May get lucky and find some used tires for spares somewhere.

Wait for a set of used Rock Warriors.

I bought two decent ones for $280 a while back.

LA area Craigslist has a set of 4 for $1200.

I have 7 rock warriors (finally). I was just grumbling to myself on the cost of carrying two spare tires like I'm doing. Just another cost to choke down........

Last edited:
yep.....chain for sure....a nuclear one !!

I use a motorcycle lock chain on my RW/35 spare. It's really easy to lock it to the swing-out hardware.

2 Rock Warriors and 2 new tires = $2000 give or take a few clams ....right. Ugg that kinda hurts
having $2k just in spare tires. Most of the time I'll just carry one spare. But when I do something wild like Alaska to the tip of Chile or go down to Guatemala to see the new archeology they recently discovered. I'm sure I'll be glad I have two spares hanging on my Trail Tailor bumper.

(BTW I'm going to be all over that recent find in Guatemala pretty soon.)

It didn't bother me paying for lockers or 4.88's but spares I may never use is kinda hard to choke down. It's a good reason to stay with the same tire in the future...... But that is hard to do cuz it is fun to try others.
It would help if manufacturers would actually produce tires that were the diameter they quote.
I'm about to pull the trigger on some Toyo open country MT's in 295/70R17 flavor. They are 33.5" and 11.9 wide. Big enough footprint for me.
I'm gonna hold off a while since my trip out to see Jason @ Trail Tailor is 6000 miles out and back. I'll just run on my street tires although I'm dying to see some big paws on my rig now!!
May get lucky and find some used tires for spares somewhere.

Tangent: What awesome job or hobby do you do/have? Should start a thread about your adventures.

Since you have two full-size spares, you might as well use them when you rotate your tires.

Hi marketShark...heyyyy you remember. Yeah in fact I have to go to The Haig in the next week or two. I bought a 2012 Nissan Patrol that is "built" as we say, has 60,000 miles, front PTO winch and rear 12,000 lb elec winch, 35's. The main thing I was looking for was a totally mechanical diesel. This one has that which is super. In fact it is the last year the Patrol had it. So you can drive without a battery or cross deep rivers.
Actually I have to give credit to my girlfriend for finding it. She lives there and found it through friends. She has been a cruiserhead since she was a kid and would go with her father to races in Ukraine and Russia. So it may not be a Tojo but they are essentially an 80 and built like a steel bridge girder. I have forgotten the size of the turbo diesel it has. The Haig is the political seat for the Netherlands but it seems to be more than that. Attracts a lot of rich people for all those reasons some people are attracted to that crap...power, money, business. But I like the Netherlands myself for my own reasons. They have some of the strongest personal privacy laws in the world.....and their legal system seems to work pretty well. So all in all it is kinda a cool place. I suspect it was a wealthy friend of a friend that had this Patrol. The price we got it at was about half it's BB value. So somebody was doing my girlfriend a favor or as some wealthy people do just let something go cheap when a buyer comes along that is part of their so called group. I find out more when I get there. I've got to go check out various things and then we'll start taking it on shorter trips and see how it goes.
We are debating our route. If you look at a map of Russia you will see Lake Bakal about halfway across. It's the largest lake in the world I believe....but anyway a popular spot and south of there are some really rugged mountains the 4wd crowd like to explore. Then you could head on east or if you get the paperwork in place cut down through Mongolia.
What I'd like to do is go about 1/3 way across Russia and then cut down through Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and weave your way to India then head south. Some people go to Thailand or even over to Vietnam. But those Russian are some traveling fools....kinda like the Aussies.
We won't make it that far this summer. Lots of planning and visas to get. Also have to find a couple more vehicles to join us. That is about the easiest part. But I'm hoping to do a couple of trips into Russia this summer maybe to lake Bakal or there are also some rugged mountainous regions scattered around. You can cross Russia in a car same as the US. But if you want to find some off road places to explore then there are places you can really get away from it all if you want . :)
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom