Body repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I have an issue with the warping on the body under the front part of the door on both sides. There doesn't appear to have any frame damage. Has anyone seen this before and can it be repaired?

I attached some pics. Sorry they aren't better. I'd love to get some input with someone who's seen this as I want to fix up the cruiser, but want to make sure this is repairable first.

Thanks!
IMG_4305.jpg
IMG_4306.jpg
IMG_4307.jpg
IMG_4308.jpg

Looks like rust bulging the metal out.
If you pressed the point of an ice pick against the bulge it will most likely go through.
With just the pictures it is hard to make any other guesses.
You haven't run into anything have you?

How does all your door gaps look, and the hard top fit with the windshield frame?

Looks like it has taken a hit up front.

And there is some rust under there.

Thanks everyone so far. Yes a slight bit of rust, the metal is otherwise pretty firm. My guess was that the previous owner hit something, but I don’t see any frame issues. Obviously the previous owner tried to reduce the rust with their caulking temp fix.

Sure looks like if you want to fix it right you’ll need to weld in new rocker panels. I know rockymtnflyfisher has done lots of body work. Might check out his build. Also @waiting for time has done some inspiring metal work and he has documented his work on mud.

Here’s a source for rockers. They have insides and outsides.Inner Rocker (1965-78) - Real Steel Cruiser Parts

Do you have a welder yet?

Thanks everyone so far. Yes a slight bit of rust, the metal is otherwise pretty firm. My guess was that the previous owner hit something, but I don’t see any frame issues. Obviously the previous owner tried to reduce the rust with their caulking temp fix.

Those darn PO's. So that is calking. Looked like grinder heat or a good weld bead with the slag not chipped off. I thought it looked weird. There seems there should be some other damage to wack the front hard enough to bend the metal there.
Show some more pictures of the front and the lines between the doors ,hood etc.
Purely speculating but see if the body to frame mounts are there, Could it be the front is sagging?

Sure looks like if you want to fix it right you’ll need to weld in new rocker panels. I know rockymtnflyfisher has done lots of body work. Might check out his build. Also @waiting for time has done some inspiring metal work and he has documented his work on mud.

Here’s a source for rockers. They have insides and outsides.Inner Rocker (1965-78) - Real Steel Cruiser Parts

Th

I don’t have a welder or good body person yet. I just took it to a guy who does custom auto work, but he’s a little high end for what I want for my 40.

Ok thanks again all. I just took it to a custom body guy. He noticed that the hinges on the passenger side (the worst side) have been bent out to allow the door to seal better. He also noted the hood was a little off center and both doors have been adjusted to sit differently due to some type of damage. Also some welding done on other parts of the door to try to “repair”. Someone must have had a hard landing at some point.

I don’t need a show ready rig, but was hoping to get rid of some rust and re-paint. Now I have to decide if I want to put the money into this one or buy something a little more ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom