Buy mint '07 or pony up for 200 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For 20-25K you get a "pretty good SUV".....lol.

Try for 10-15K you get something that will still outlast all other SUV's ten years from now.

Or buy a 60K Escalade and sell it to a Mexican for 5K ten years from now. Up to you :meh:

Just drove a near-new 2015 200 on a test drive. I'm an impulse-car-buy nut with a history of irrational car buying experiences and yet I had absolutely no problem walking away from the 200. I can tell you right now that if it felt "better" than the 100 I would buy it in a second. But it didn't. I felt like it had absolutely zero 100 series DNA or feel. Visibility was worse with what seemed like a shorter windshield, taller door sills, and an enormous bulging hood. You could already see corrosion forming on areas of the frame and fasteners underneath after this car only having 1 winter in the north. I feel like the 100 has way better visibility, better driving characteristics, and better ride. Oh, and the title is in the filing cabinet. Saved myself a 1000.00/mo car payment and I can at least forget about the 200 for a while now.

Just drove a near-new 2015 200 on a test drive. I'm an impulse-car-buy nut with a history of irrational car buying experiences and yet I had absolutely no problem walking away from the 200. I can tell you right now that if it felt "better" than the 100 I would buy it in a second. But it didn't. I felt like it had absolutely zero 100 series DNA or feel. Visibility was worse with what seemed like a shorter windshield, taller door sills, and an enormous bulging hood. You could already see corrosion forming on areas of the frame and fasteners underneath after this car only having 1 winter in the north. I feel like the 100 has way better visibility, better driving characteristics, and better ride. Oh, and the title is in the filing cabinet. Saved myself a 1000.00/mo car payment and I can at least forget about the 200 for a while now.
Completely agree. The only advantage of a 200 is the engine. But seeing how everything else is made/put together doesn't appeal to me in the least. It's a fat bulbous SUV.

I don't understand why they made it feel like a seqouia, it's like they're steering buyers away from land cruisers.

My friends mom had a 99 since new, he bought it from her two years ago when she bought a 200. She asks for it back every time she sees it now. Newer isn't always better.

Here's my $.02. A few years ago I had a mint '06 LX470 that I planned to build and keep forever. Regretfully, I traded in for brand new 2013 TLC. The 200 was an awesome truck and my wife loved it when she got to drive it (which helped justify the price of my new truck). Mods on the 200 are nowhere near as easy as on the 100 from what I noticed. I kept the 200 for 2 years and traded it for a Tundra which is way more functional for my daily life. Since then I bought the wife an LX570 and just bought myself another 2006 LX470 (super low mileage also) to build for our family expedition trips. I've owned 3 100's and loved each one of them. I think the 100 still feels manageable on the road & trails where the 200 has a bulkier feel to it. That being said, I can't guarantee the wife's LX570 won't be hitting the trails down the road.

Hi guys — I find myself in a similar situation as the OP. I’m looking for a reliable “beater” weekend camping/fishing/towing LC that I can leave outside ungaraged and dirty up.

So, there is a 2008 with 160,000 1-owner miles vs. a 2007 (non-AHC!) with 135,000 2-owner miles. Assuming both have been maintained identically, which would be the better choice in your opinion? The 2008 is $2500 more expensive than the 2007, and I’m only towing a small 2500 lb. camper.

Thanks in advance — this forum is very informative!

Towing.... Duramax or a similar American truck.

100s can easily tow your average car o na trailer, etc. For actual big towing I'd not get anything but a diesel.[/QUOTE

Sorry —I guess what I’m asking is it worth $2500 to get the 200 series LC with newer design/ engine even though it has slightly higher miles than the 100 series from a reliability and durability standpoint. Both are very capable of towing my little camper. Thanks again for the input.

I would buy which ever one has the least rust and in the best condition.

It's hard to go wrong with either one.

As was covered, they drive very differently, interior room is different, etc.

Which one do you like more?

Reliability would be the least of my worries in deciding as that's not an issue with either one.

I can imagine this is a hard decision. I had the exact same a year before. Delete the hundy and replace with a 200. You know what: I jumped on a 11 month old 200. Left it alone after a couple of months. This truck is for me just too much ... everything. It's heavy even unloaded, with all the gear I wanted to fit it was already over the max weight allowed for it in my country. The V8 diesel was a wonderful powerplant, but hell ... this thing had so much tech on it - not even close to the low tech 1HD-FTE where I know every wire and bolt on it. It is the better all around "I stay in civilisation" truck, but if you plan to go remote I would not like to take the risk of not "knowing" the truck. I travelled through russia, kazakhstan and uzbekistan - there a lot of both of these trucks and they have a hard life over there. They are both reliable, but the hundy speaks to me with every sound and noise it makes. The 200 made me feel ... left alone ...

Just to clarify: My 100 has 500.000 on the odo - the 200 had 11.000. The 100 is a machine, the 200 a computer.

He is towing a 2500# trailer. Load that thing up with gear and water and take into account the load of the truck and he'll be at 3000-3500lb.

The 200 with the 5.7 is a better choice to tow that weight.

If where he tows it pretty flat, he doesn't plan on overloading the trailer, and he doesn't build the 100 too heavily, then the scales don't tip as favorably towards the 200.

Price and reliability and history seem otherwise equal, so I would decide based on which you like better and how much it will be used for towing.

FYI, I've towed our 2,700# trailer with our '99 heavily built, '06 moderately built and new '08 (and my Tundra) and the 5.7 tows FAR better than the 100s. Relatively hilly here but no long sustained climbs.

He is towing a 2500# trailer. Load that thing up with gear and water and take into account the load of the truck and he'll be at 3000-3500lb.

The 200 with the 5.7 is a better choice to tow that weight.

If where he tows it pretty flat, he doesn't plan on overloading the trailer, and he doesn't build the 100 too heavily, then the scales don't tip as favorably towards the 200.

Price and reliability and history seem otherwise equal, so I would decide based on which you like better and how much it will be used for towing.

FYI, I've towed our 2,700# trailer with our '99 heavily built, '06 moderately built and new '08 (and my Tundra) and the 5.7 tows FAR better than the 100s. Relatively hilly here but no long sustained climbs.
Yup, if he's going to be constantly towing than the 5.7 is definitely the way to go if he is set on getting a Land Cruiser and nothing else.

Yup, if he's going to be constantly towing than the 5.7 is definitely the way to go if he is set on getting a Land Cruiser and nothing else.

Yes, dead set on a LC. And not an LX either because I’d prefer plain Jane Toyota marque:). The camper is one of those little Airstream Basecamps, which a Wrangler Unlimited could tow, but I’m mainly looking for a reliable rig to get me to fishing and camping spots in Michigan and back to Iowa, lol. Would probably tow the camper only 20-25% of the time. Thanks guys!

Yes, dead set on a LC. And not an LX either because I’d prefer plain Jane Toyota marque:). The camper is one of those little Airstream Basecamps, which a Wrangler Unlimited could tow, but I’m mainly looking for a reliable rig to get me to fishing and camping spots in Michigan and back to Iowa, lol. Would probably tow the camper only 20-25% of the time. Thanks guys!
If you are not going to tow that much, even a minivan can tow that little trailer around without issues.

If you are not going to tow that much, even a minivan can tow that little trailer around without issues.

Exactly. So just trying to decide if the 2008 is $2500 better than the 2007.

2008 is definitely bigger, uglier, and more computer-controlled. Newer engineered designs are usually better, I’m just not sure in this case for a weekend beater. The 2008 might just be a lot more expensive to own long term with tech maintenance and repairs. Just would like the most low maintenance, stock rig.

Exactly. So just trying to decide if the 2008 is $2500 better than the 2007.

2008 is definitely bigger, uglier, and more computer-controlled. Newer engineered designs are usually better, I’m just not sure in this case for a weekend beater. The 2008 might just be a lot more expensive to own long term with tech maintenance and repairs. Just would like the most low maintenance, stock rig.
I believe the 200 series is actually SMALLER inside based on my experience and talking with a few owners that have an LX570 who previously owned an LX470.

Wondering if OP @sPaulp will chime in again. He went with the 100 at the time, but his avatar now shows a 200?

How much towing have you done with your 100? How is it built and how is it loaded? You seem to be making light (pun intended) of the towing capabilities.

The basecamp weighs 2600# DRY. Add personal belongings, water, camping gear, etc. and it'll easily be 3000-3500lb. My 99 is heavily built and I've towed our 2,700-3,000 trailer around quite a bit. The 99 heavily built and loaded, is regeared on 33s and it STRUGGLES on hills in central PA. We bought an '06, intentially did a more moderate build (watching added weight), currently with 35s and NOT regeared, with 5 spd and VVT and it tows it much better. That said, it is still a FAR FAR step below the comfort and power afforded when towing with the 5.7 in the 200 or my Tundra.

We would need to know @IAtrout build plan for the vehicles, but my experience suggests that this weight range of towing would make a CONSIDERABLE FACTOR in deciding b/w 100 and 200. YMMV and all that jazz.

How much towing have you done with your 100? How is it built and how is it loaded? You seem to be making light (pun intended) of the towing capabilities.

The basecamp weighs 2600# DRY. Add personal belongings, water, camping gear, etc. and it'll easily be 3000-3500lb. My 99 is heavily built and I've towed our 2,700-3,000 trailer around quite a bit. The 99 heavily built and loaded, is regeared on 33s and it STRUGGLES on hills in central PA. We bought an '06, intentially did a more moderate build (watching added weight), currently with 35s and NOT regeared, with 5 spd and VVT and it tows it much better. That said, it is still a FAR FAR step below the comfort and power afforded when towing with the 5.7 in the 200 or my Tundra.

We would need to know @IAtrout build plan for the vehicles, but my experience suggests that this weight range of towing would make a CONSIDERABLE FACTOR in deciding b/w 100 and 200. YMMV and all that jazz.

I have not towed with the LX yet, but have towed plenty with other trucks that are even below a 100 series (older 4Runners, GX470) and we can pull an open car trailer with a 3,400lb vehicle pretty easily. IL is flat so I don't know how well it would do on hills but he is going between IA and MI... which are basically all flat also especially Iowa. UP Michigan is not as flat but it's not Colorado.

I have driven across Colorado in my fully loaded LS430 (completely full of luggage and adult passengers) and the elevations definitely had an effect on the driving and braking but he is not going to CO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom