2L-T idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Every 5-6 time I’ll get the nice puff of white on start up. And every now and then some black soot too. Doesn’t matter if it’s cold or warm. (Outside temp and even engine temp). And then after around 10-20 min of driving the rpms will start climbing on its own at a stop light. I will notice it while driving sometimes as well. From what I can tell, I’m not burning any oil outside the norm for these motors and my coolant reservoir is at the same level. I drew a line to make sure on that one. Where should I start looking. I’m dumbfounded.

Forgot to add. But after about 10 min the idle and smoke issue will fix itself

Forgot to add. But after about 10 min the idle and smoke issue will fix itself

Would help a lot if you told us what year and model vehicle this motor is in. There are a number of different variations of the engine, and different things that can cause the issues you are having.

Every 5-6 time I’ll get the nice puff of white on start up

Do you mean every 5th or 6th compression stroke of every 5th or 6th time you start the engine?
How many klms has it done? Have the injectors ever been done?
A lack of info makes it difficult to understand your problem.

Sry everybody. It’s an 87 LJ70. It’s every 5th or 6th time I fire it up. New plugs have been installed. Has around 300 kms on it.

Has new injectors too. I’m pretty sure it’s a 2L-TI not a II. Definitely not a LTE

Its hard to say why it makes smoke spasmodically. A quick puff of white smoke is normal for diesels. The longer it goes means the compression is not high enough.
How do the rpms go back to normal? What do they climb to? I'm guessing its probably in the injection pump.

Normal idle is around 750-800. Will go up to around 1250-1300. Then back down to normal. Almost acting like I’m playing with the manual choke

And when it idles up. It almost feels like there is a miss

Normal idle is around 750-800. Will go up to around 1250-1300. Then back down to normal. Almost acting like I’m playing with the manual choke

Does your vehicle have air conditioning? Is it on? A/C idle up will cause this.

Sounds like something to do with the governor, weak spring maybe. Maybe the spill valve.
Is the fuel filter new?

Last edited:
Yes. Had new filter, had the pump rebuilt with new o-rings and such. Also, there isn’t a drop of oil under it if I leaver her parked for a long time. Not sure if that helps at all

I agree with roscoFJ73; I think your injection pump has some issues with the governer. How long ago was it rebuilt? Can you contact the place that rebuilt it and ask them?

Depends on the extent of the "rebuild". There are some expensive bits inside that may have been overlooked.
The best way is to give it to someone who has experience with this type of pump and get them to bench test it.
What country was the rebuild done in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom