Builds chap79's Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5205489C-AA9C-487C-9B9D-738D464BCFAF.png

Got the windows tinted today for the :princess:. I will admit that I could feel the heat difference immediately through the windows.

D9888DB9-62BC-4881-82E0-D7261753B884.jpeg
1C251DBF-D12C-42E7-894A-A12321575DA3.jpeg
9CF2447F-45FD-40BD-8434-3694F853CE08.jpeg

Now you gotta carry the fire pit and a gas tank too. Same thing, but not as enjoyable without the smoke and the sound. Might as well get a LED fire pit.
Just not the real deal.

I gotta agree with Dragos on this one. I have a little propane fire pit and it is cool for the beach (no wood allowed) and for the times that the parks are closed to campfires. They consider it a stove. The problem with them is the amount of propane they go through is alot. On a cold night with the pit 3/4 going you could go through 2 5gallon jugs. Plus it just does not put out the same type of heat as a full fire of hot coals does.

If you really want something that works great like propane but uses wood, see these:

Bonfire

I know, I know, it's expensive but it truly works amazing. We run ours on the back deck and I have had guests ask me if it is propane powered. The way it pulls air it burns wood very cleanly, no smoke, all heat and very little ash is left.

Reactions: KTP
I won’t argue that I prefer a wood fire. It’s difficult to give up a huge piece of camping culture. Even after everyone goes to bed I can easily stay up for another hour staring into the coals thinking about the allure felt by early man.

But the amount of cheap ass firewood you have to buy that they sell at gas stations in order to burn late into the night cost just as much as refilling a 20lb tank. Also given the ridiculousness of our state, the lack of water, the dead state of our trees, the fact we’re banning drinking straws.... how long until they ban wood matches? They’re obviously the cause of our killer forest fires :rolleyes:.

Doing some light cleaning this morning. I rebuilt the knuckles last week so I didn’t have that much grease that needed to be cleaned off. I sprayed everything with simple green, let us soak for about 10 minutes and rinsed off with the hose. Then hit everything with a wire brush, wiped clean with acetone, then painted.
90A4E68A-BAEB-4ACB-9606-09421FB9B2B4.jpeg
833FD36B-387B-49B6-8686-C908712810B9.jpeg
E0264EAF-4E37-42EF-A5B4-CB073498841C.jpeg

I also ordered some front diff armor as I smacked mine pretty good on my last trip.

Reactions: KTP
I won’t argue that I prefer a wood fire. It’s difficult to give up a huge piece of camping culture. Even after everyone goes to bed I can easily stay up for another hour staring into the coals thinking about the allure felt by early man.

But the amount of cheap ass firewood you have to buy that they sell at gas stations in order to burn late into the night cost just as much as refilling a 20lb tank. Also given the ridiculousness of our state, the lack of water, the dead state of our trees, the fact we’re banning drinking straws.... how long until they ban wood matches? They’re obviously the cause of our killer forest fires :rolleyes:.

I still got a bunch of firewood in my backyard. I know, not everybody is in my position regarding firewood. Whatever fits your needs best I guess.
The cheapest firewood I found around here is $4 at Grocery Outlet, cheaper than Walmart or other places.
I'm old enough not to like making a lot of changes in my lifestyle, so I'll stick to my "old" ways of doing things.

What's up with the ban on having a fire on the beach? What could possibly be wrong with that? Setting the sand on fire?
I totally get it in the woods, cross contamination with firewood from outside of the area and setting the entire state on fire.
Sometimes I do it in my backyard, although I am fully aware it's not entirely ok. Flying amber, drought, etc. I keep the fire small in size and anything flying away will be cold and out about 10 feet away.

You can multipurpose the propane tank (fire pit and cooking), but I still like and enjoy some real fire from time to time, especially since here in CA we don't really have cold weather during winter and when my fireplace has fire in it I have to open the window to cool down a bit. 3-4 fires per winter at my house, not nearly enough in my opinion.

I still got a bunch of firewood in my backyard. I know, not everybody is in my position regarding firewood. Whatever fits your needs best I guess.
The cheapest firewood I found around here is $4 at Grocery Outlet, cheaper than Walmart or other places.
I'm old enough not to like making a lot of changes in my lifestyle, so I'll stick to my "old" ways of doing things.

What's up with the ban on having a fire on the beach? What could possibly be wrong with that? Setting the sand on fire?
I totally get it in the woods, cross contamination with firewood from outside of the area and setting the entire state on fire.
Sometimes I do it in my backyard, although I am fully aware it's not entirely ok. Flying amber, drought, etc. I keep the fire small in size and anything flying away will be cold and out about 10 feet away.

You can multipurpose the propane tank (fire pit and cooking), but I still like and enjoy some real fire from time to time, especially since here in CA we don't really have cold weather during winter and when my fireplace has fire in it I have to open the window to cool down a bit. 3-4 fires per winter at my house, not nearly enough in my opinion.

You guys are buying/bringing wood to campsites? I carry a felling axe and chop/gather near or on the way. I have huge campfires and have never had trouble getting enough. Even at TNS, I found a ton of wood for a huge beach fire in Pismo.

I hope you only use dead trees for your fire. And you are right in having a fire using local trees not firewood brought into the camp area. But in the middle of the desert or a beach, I don't see a problem with having non native firewood since there are no trees growing in the sand anyway.

I hope you only use dead trees for your fire. And you are right in having a fire using local trees not firewood brought into the camp area. But in the middle of the desert or a beach, I don't see a problem with having non native firewood since there are no trees growing in the sand anyway.

Of course man...green tress don't burn. You'd be surprised how many cleanly bucked logs are just laying near the freeway exits from road crew clean up. Lots of eucalyptus branches near coastal areas.

Doing some light cleaning this morning. I rebuilt the knuckles last week so I didn’t have that much grease that needed to be cleaned off. I sprayed everything with simple green, let us soak for about 10 minutes and rinsed off with the hose. Then hit everything with a wire brush, wiped clean with acetone, then painted.
View attachment 1636165 View attachment 1636164 View attachment 1636163

your jackstands on gravel makes me nervous! be careful I once had a major accident this way......

fires at the beach are a problem here because people get burned, dumb tourists cover their coals in sand instead of extinguishing with sea water.......

I'm seriously shocked.
How could someone get burned from coals being covered by sand? I would imagine the coals would go out in a couple of minutes after being buried in the sand and certainly not last overnight or a few days.
It's not the only idiotic rule I've seen or heard about so I should not really be surprised.

I'm seriously shocked.
How could someone get burned from coals being covered by sand? I would imagine the coals would go out in a couple of minutes after being buried in the sand and certainly not last overnight or a few days.
It's not the only idiotic rule I've seen or heard about so I should not really be surprised.

It's common at Pismo actually. Large bonfire of coals gets lightly covered in the morning and the campers take off. New group shows up and parks right on top. You're supposed to leave your coals exposed at the beach...extinguished obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom