Name that FJ40 auxiliary gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevos37

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Just took this off a 1972 fj40. Been looking around on mud . I've seen the confer models, but I'm sure who the maker this one is.

Thanks
Kevin

1518921745892-1112354718.jpg
1518921790426-1259659072.jpg

Possibly an earlier Downey ... looks kinda like one... Jim would know

@Downey
Thanks !

Downey did return my inquiry.......in spades.

It is not a Conferr or Downey, its a early tank made for Manafre. It does not have a gauge in it so you don't have any idea how much fuel it has in it. He mentioned it could be used as a storage tank and then transferred over when needed. Lastly he said the tank sticks down far enough to affect the rear departure angle when doing some serious wheeling. Interesting information to know. Don't know what to do with it now ...guess I'll move it over to the want ads.

Kevin

Last edited:
If your intent is to do hardcore rock crawling, the rear departure angle would probably be concerning.

If that is not your intent, you could easily get by with this tank, as an auxiliary transfer tank... Fill it and transfer the fuel to your main tank, as needed.

My aux tank is an old custom made tank, with much the same departure angle... I do a lot of off road, but am not a crawler... I've driven into and out of a lot of drainages, with rather severe angles, and have never hung it up or even dragged it... Of course, I have a heavy gauge skid plate to protect it.

You could also cut a hole to accommodate a fuel sender... But, it looks like the tank would need ports (feed, return, vent, at a minimum) added to it.

Here's mine

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here, you can see the tank hangs just a little lower than the bottom of the shackles.

image.jpeg

Here, you can kinda see the departure angle

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom