fj60 carb leakage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Such a newb but tryin'. ;)

Today Im fixing the oil galley plug and noticed the carb has what looks like a leak. Im not sure.
New to carbs and fj60's so the slight, very slight fuel smell i was noticing was written off to "its carbed"
The OEM carb was rebuilt prior to getting the cruiser out of its decade plus hibernation.
What do you guys acces from these pictures?
Oh and theres been about 80 miles put on the cruiser since we fired it up.

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

Normal operation. Fuel is introduced into the airflow above the throttle shafts. Some of the fuel splatters on the shaft. When engine is running, vacuum keeps the fuel inside the carb. When the engine is shut off, the fuel will weep out to the end of the shaft.

BTW, the air cleaner seal ring snaps into the neck of the air cleaner. It should not be laying on top of the carb. A new one is still available from Mr.T.

Thanks so much

Normal operation. Fuel is introduced into the airflow above the throttle shafts. Some of the fuel splatters on the shaft. When engine is running, vacuum keeps the fuel inside the carb. When the engine is shut off, the fuel will weep out to the end of the shaft.

BTW, the air cleaner seal ring snaps into the neck of the air cleaner. It should not be laying on top of the carb. A new one is still available from Mr.T.
Thanks

Other than the footprint of fuel the carb looks super clean and nice.
You could try tightening those four nuts.. they can loosen up esp if you semi recently installed it after rebuild.

It could be a float set high fuel level issue , how is your sight glass level at idle ?

or

judging from the fresh re-build & staining-treak on the main body just under NICE maroon Accel Pump Boot , A Loose or several air horn Phillips heads / air horn gasket leakage

double / TRIPLE check ALL your fasteners entire carb , Money says U find at least one loose / loose enough to cause leak u have

@FJ40Jim could also be correct if the carb has / was excessive wear on shafts age time etc prior to rebuild .....

images11111.jpeg

Such a newb but tryin'. ;)

Today Im fixing the oil galley plug and noticed the carb has what looks like a leak. Im not sure.
New to carbs and fj60's so the slight, very slight fuel smell i was noticing was written off to "its carbed"
The OEM carb was rebuilt prior to getting the cruiser out of its decade plus hibernation.
What do you guys acces from these pictures?
Oh and theres been about 80 miles put on the cruiser since we fired it up.

View attachment 1635448

View attachment 1635449

View attachment 1635450

View attachment 1635451

This " Might " Be A Active Leak Source of Fuel leaking ?

IMG_2163_LI.jpg

This morning I checked the four hex nuts on the base and they all needed a snug up.
The philips screws up top were mostly tight besides the front one on the passenger side did take a little turn and the rear one on the passenger side also took a little tightening.

The one thing that was boggling my mind last night while @RAGINGMATT and I were messaging each other, was the float window showing a titled level.
The drive way is titled slightly in the direction of the driver seat, but the window is showing the fuel leaning towards the passenger side???????
Before I went to bed last night the window was showning about half of what the picture is showing while still tilted. Today the window is empty.

Anyway, I tightened everything up and when I back this afternoon Ill start the cruiser up and see what the level reads

That’s really strange. How’s a photo from fan toward windshield look? Valve cover have an odd tilt?

Everything looks square to me.
Let me know if you notice anything.

74BF290B-5DA8-4EC4-9A2B-56FE990AF7ED.jpeg

15A3D520-C2B1-4368-A567-3E5DCBFEC1AF.jpeg

hey jason ,

if no loose fasteners then .................

Ok so there's another possible reason u have a standing shut off fuel leak i have dealt with , U dont have or are missing some or
all / have a defective fuel line vapor recovery canister system .

when Your trucks gas tank warms & fuel only a few degrees the pressure in tank builds up enough to push fuel past your spring needle and seat & air horn gasket as a path of least resistance , either filling up your float bowl and it spilling over or creating a external leak

Your gas cap if OEM toyota is only Vented one way IN , there is a one way check valve that is supposed to be in your fuel line system

I have dealt with this on several older 40 & 43 series 2F trucks in my shop particularly from Columbia where its simply 1 fuel line from the tank to the carb , and fuel pressure will vent through the 2 bowl vents to atmosphere

when i went to remove the gas cap a HUGE rush of air would escape from the tank , this was with a NEW OEM gas cap

I added a check valve and charcoal canister / expansion tank the issue was no more .....

if u park your truck in a garage that's heated or it gets warm during day outside where kept afternoon sun can cause this
set of symptoms , open your gas cap and test this possible cause if fuel rich vapor rushes out

Hence causing a possible fuel leak at the carb like U have

But what’s w/ the tilt in his carb window? The second photo seems to have a tilt on the passenger side but could be how you took the picture.
If the truck runs well and you only slightly smell fuel maybe let it go? I do believe the explanation Jim gave you sounds spot on.
And Matt is right, if you get a big whoosh when you open the gas cap could be your charcoal canister is about spent up any filter life it has. You can gut and replace (I did mine) or buy aftermarket.
I do love the black valve cover...

This is the level it was at atstart up, while it was running, and when I shut it off.

4F5B1445-D61F-4FB3-8E21-9E6CB684AB6A.jpeg

Here’s some picts of the passenger side of the carb after taking it for a drive.

578C5F1F-A030-4A52-AD81-88B91222E2C4.jpeg

0245D494-7F67-45F1-8166-B7EC5E616468.jpeg

36738C9B-BF11-4A1B-87E2-0C06226462AF.jpeg

Uploading from the phone. It’s a challenge to upload the right picts.

Fuel level looks fine now. I really can’t say much on the fuel footprint your seeing. I lean to what Jim said.

The one thing that was boggling my mind last night while @RAGINGMATT and I were messaging each other, was the float window showing a tilted level.
The drive way is titled slightly in the direction of the driver seat, but the window is showing the fuel leaning towards the passenger side???????
Before I went to bed last night the window was showning about half of what the picture is showing while still tilted. Today the window is empty.
Anyway, I tightened everything up and when I back this afternoon Ill start the cruiser up and see what the level reads

The line in this picture is the seam around the molded plastic float. The fuel level has evaporated down below the glass and the float is drooping.

So your good then? It’s simply the edge of the float which is tilted, not the fuel level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom