What year was the 2nd descriptive data plate added (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched through the forums and have seen conflicting data on when the 2nd descriptive data plate was 1st used. By "2nd descriptive data plate" I mean the one that lists the color and trim codes. The 1st data plate would be the one that is easily located on the drivers side pillar. Some posts state first year for the 2nd data plate was 1975 and some say 1976. The agreement in the posts is that it is located on the inside of the passenger side fender.

Can some owners of 1975 FJ40s chime in and post whether or not your FJ40 has the second data plate. If so, can you please post a picture of where it is on the fender. I am going to be looking at a 1975 FJ40 and I want to be able to locate that plate, if it is there.

Thank you in advance.

Second plaque was added to the driver's A pillar 3/69 in the US market. Under the hood plaque moved from the firewall to the fender mid sixties. Moved back to the firewall with the 78 model. That was the first time rivets were used under the hood. Used screws before that.

Last edited:
Note that the data plate, at least through 1973, didn't have much data on it other than the frame number and basic engine data (6 cyl, bore, stroke, displacement).

For an example of plate location and detail, see below:
img_0403-jpg.1378167

id-plate-jpg.1378166

I have searched through the forums and have seen conflicting data on when the 2nd descriptive data plate was 1st used. By "2nd descriptive data plate" I mean the one that lists the color and trim codes. The 1st data plate would be the one that is easily located on the drivers side pillar. Some posts state first year for the 2nd data plate was 1975 and some say 1976. The agreement in the posts is that it is located on the inside of the passenger side fender.

Can some owners of 1975 FJ40s chime in and post whether or not your FJ40 has the second data plate. If so, can you please post a picture of where it is on the fender. I am going to be looking at a 1975 FJ40 and I want to be able to locate that plate, if it is there.

Thank you in advance.

In my whole DATA plate topic research Its Been and seams the " 2nd descriptive data plate" I mean the one that lists the color and trim codes. "

was simply introduced same time with the 2F engine Update in " Approx " 1 / 1975

@Living in the Past is 100% Correct on his facts about the second door jamb A pillar being added when it was / did

also , A FJ55 has the 2nd Pro-date Plate Riveted on the drivers door itself on a 12/ 1979 in my shop right now

- does anyone know another Model Land Cruiser that has a door affixed data plate other then fj55 ?

the first time / year rivets were used detail spec. above is a good one too .....:popcorn:

Last edited:
So the engine bay plate when the descriptive DATA was added in 1/75 Toyota calls a Name Plate

the drivers door one jamb or door itself fj55 they call a "Certification Regulation Plate " on the 75 / 2F -Later trucks it seams

maybe on early ones too because they have GVW info and tire / rim size spec's too ......

DSCN5774.JPG
DSCN5775.JPG
DSCN5776.JPG
DSCN5777.JPG
DSCN5778.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom