So upgraded birfs..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I know many people have questioned longevity with upgraded birfs with the softer heat treating in a Fulltime 4wd truck. I had heard Bobby Long say they are good for 60,000 miles. I didn't think anything of it since at the time I was maybe driving my truck 5-8000 miles a year. Fast Forward to 4 years later, 2 trips across the country north to south and two trips across the country east to west a lot of daily driving and somewhere around 50,000ish miles. I have sprung a leak that I would guess is due to the seal wearing into the softer metal of the shaft.

Just an FYI for those of us using our trucks to sight see malls more than wheel you could save a little money on the RCV 300m superset. lol.

Good real world info. I’m still averaging 25k+ a year on the old gal :confused: so I like to know my options.

Interesting. Would like to see pics when you pull it apart. When I was replacing my birfs earlier this year I had some people try and sell me on the RCVs saying I’ll never drive my 80 enough to wear the softer metal out. I ended up going with Terrain Tamers recommended by @beno instead of OEM birfs.

Well I know many people have questioned longevity with upgraded birfs with the softer heat treating in a Fulltime 4wd truck. I had heard Bobby Long say they are good for 60,000 miles. I didn't think anything of it since at the time I was maybe driving my truck 5-8000 miles a year. Fast Forward to 4 years later, 2 trips across the country north to south and two trips across the country east to west a lot of daily driving and somewhere around 50,000ish miles. I have sprung a leak that I would guess is due to the seal wearing into the softer metal of the shaft.

Just an FYI for those of us using our trucks to sight see malls more than wheel you could save a little money on the RCV 300m superset. lol.
Have @NLXTACY send you an offset axle seal driver so you can knock that seal in an extra .25" or so and run on a fresh part of the axle...good for another 50k miles.

Yep for sure, but I am not too concerned with it at this point. A little drip never hurt anyone. Lol. I will probably put another 5-10K miles on it before I tear it down. Hopefully by then I will be out west again and doing it my own garage. Haha.

Have @NLXTACY send you an offset axle seal driver so you can knock that seal in an extra .25" or so and run on a fresh part of the axle...good for another 50k miles.

So are all the aftermarket birf’s/axles are like this? Softer axles allow more twist before they break and therefore stonger but the seal will eat through it faster?

Maybe i didn’t understand, could you explain it to me better?

I need birfs/axles soon and was looking at trail gear. I have tired/worn axle from the seal, pretty gooved, but don’t actually need the higher strength axles i dont think, 35’s, 4.88 and an old motor. Dont rock crawl or mud bog, just trail with some rocky stuff.

Yes that is correct the different alxes and alloys are hardened differently. Some for more wear and longer life (OEM) some for strength where they will be more elastic and not break (RCV)

There are several variations in between and any of the shops could help you select one that will fit your need. I would stay far away from Trail Gear.

So are all the aftermarket birf’s/axles are like this? Softer axles allow more twist before they break and therefore stonger but the seal will eat through it faster?

Maybe i didn’t understand, could you explain it to me better?

I need birfs/axles soon and was looking at trail gear. I have tired/worn axle from the seal, pretty gooved, but don’t actually need the higher strength axles i dont think, 35’s, 4.88 and an old motor. Dont rock crawl or mud bog, just trail with some rocky stuff.

No offense but you should do some triaging and disassembly before just assuming your seals are bad because they wore out your axle shaft... its possible of course but seals wear out too and afaik the axle shaft is just a run of the mill 4340

I have the trail gear gun drilled ones and I got them because they were cheap. haven't really been in 4low with them much but I swear my driver's side clicks in high range

Thats a bummer about the trail gear. From a pricepoint they “sound” great. So whats the best price for more stockish builds?

I mean if they break in the next 40,000 miles I'll probably buy another set for their price. They came prepacked with grease and the grease fitting makes servicing them quick. Although I do not know how much grease it takes to fill them. Next time I pull an axle for any reason I'm going to test it. May have to soon since I should replace my felts since mine are keeping the balls bone dry.

So the problem with trail gear is birf click or ???? I have several things from them and never had an issue, but never bought a machined part from them. I can get dealer cost on trail gear, but thats only 150-200 less than other companies, so id rather have a better part instead of something that will need constant attention or annoying quirks.

Any other issues with them?

Nope like I said haven't really wheeled with them and the clicking I hear may not be from the axle. I can't get the click to be duplicated. I sometimes hear it on left full lock turns. My spindle on that side has a groove in it also ethier from seal wear or more likely wheel bearing since mine were severely loose when I bought it

Nope like I said haven't really wheeled with them and the clicking I hear may not be from the axle. I can't get the click to be duplicated. I sometimes hear it on left full lock turns. My spindle on that side has a groove in it also ethier from seal wear or more likely wheel bearing since mine were severely loose when I bought it
Ive seen wheel weights hit stuff too.

No offense but you should do some triaging and disassembly before just assuming your seals are bad because they wore out your axle shaft... its possible of course but seals wear out too and afaik the axle shaft is just a run of the mill 4340
x2, just what I was thinking, a bit premature on the diagnosis. I mean, we all try to guess at problems, but how often are we wrong?

I see they are not designed for awd like an 80 is, but i want to go part time, but thst may be a while. Guess i can just deal with clicking until i get all the info and $ i ned to go part time and gears. I hope that is in a couple months or less.

My wheel weights are barley held on. If I turn and they hit something they will probably fall off, I know my inside weights fall off sometimes when I take a wheel off.

You're assuming I haven't diagnosed the problem.

x2, just what I was thinking, a bit premature on the diagnosis. I mean, we all try to guess at problems, but how often are we wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom