Looking for advice: valuing mostly complete fj-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 1964 FJ-40 that I've had sitting around for several years and have not been able to give the project the time it deserves, so I'm thinking about parting with it. I have no idea what sort of value to put on it, I've had a couple offers in the past that seem reasonable, but I'm not sure.

Everything is mostly original, has Ramsey PTO winch, 1F motor never rebuilt(it ran a few years ago and drove okay around in a dirt field). Very minimal rust, straight body, paint is pretty rough. PO had attempted to start a frame off restoration, and got as far as removing the brake and clutch master cylinders, cutting the hydraulic lines and wiring harness. I patched together the wiring harness when I first got it, before I really became electrically competent, so that likely needs to be redone or replaced. I also found a clutch master cylinder and repaired that system, but slave cylinder needs to be rebuilt. Was never able to find an original brake master cylinder, had considered trying to figure out power assist option but never got to it, and I'm sure the brake lines and wheel cylinders need love as well. Original carb throttle linkage is missing, I fabbed together something of my own, but it definitely should be redone/replaced with something original or changed to cable. When I had it running, I ran a fuel line from a gas can. Charging system doesn't work, don't know if that's because something is bad, or I didn't have it hooked up right at the time. It's been well over 5 years since I've spent any time around the rig.

I could see someone going 2 ways with this, would be great candidate for frame off restoration, or repairing the issues it currently has, putting the rest of it back together and have a running driving rig without too much hassle outside of finding/making/adapting parts. Its 3 on the tree, but I also have everything needed to change it to floor shifter.

Any suggestions what ballpark I should be expecting to get for this, as is?

First two photos are shortly after I first got it, 3rd one is where it sits now and last one is right after I put the body and stuff back on it.

Thanks!

fj40b.jpg

fj40a.jpg

fj40c.jpg

76073_536593537240_5393388_n.jpg

I think it is worth about $2k if it is close to complete and the motor will turn.

Flip the bezel. Then we’ll talk.

Flip the bezel. Then we’ll talk.

I'll just take the bezel off and throw it in the back. Next owners preference. Don't want to go off topic, but didn't Toyota send quite a few out from the factory up until 64 or so? If you want to keep it absolutely original...

I'll just take the bezel off and throw it in the back. Next owners preference. Don't want to go off topic, but didn't Toyota send quite a few out from the factory up until 64 or so? If you want to keep it absolutely original...
I think they had a few with broken windshields from the factory as well. So if you want it absolutely original would you just keep smashing new windows? No there is a right way and an Upside down way for a bezel. BTW I think 2,000.00 is a fair price if you want to sell the whole rig. The sad part is its probably worth a lot more if you part it out.

As a buyer somebody would be happy VERY happy to get that at 2k... as a seller you should be more happy at 5k as there is a lot of good about that rig... but... 5 would be max and would be easier to get if you were to fix the hydraulic issues

Closer to 5 more fair for u and closer to 2 more fair for buyer

:meh:

Ebaying it?

If you put the effort into getting to start, drive, and stop with no other effort, probably about 5. As it sits now it's just a project and I'd say 2-3 max.

I bought my ‘64 FST last fall. More rust, and no top. Factory winch instead of aftermarket. Wasn’t running, but didn’t need much on that score and the electrical system was intact. Otherwise very similar. I paid $4k. Based on that, I’d probably say $3k for this one, based on what I see here. Maybe $2500 if the interior is especially rough.

I bought my ‘64 FST last fall. More rust, and no top. Factory winch instead of aftermarket. Wasn’t running, but didn’t need much on that score and the electrical system was intact. Otherwise very similar. I paid $4k. Based on that, I’d probably say $3k for this one, based on what I see here. Maybe $2500 if the interior is especially rough.

Interior is all there, though not necessarily put together. If I remember correctly, all the seats were still in pretty good shape too, no cracks, just old and stiff. This is all sounding about in the range I had been thinking. I won't be parting it out, I'd rather keep it for when I do eventually get time to complete it.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Just because some ppl on this site would only pay 2k for your rig doesn't mean someone else won't pay more... supply and demand changes state to state and even City to City. Remember one thing, it's free to put it on Craigslist for whatever your number is and all you can say is no too low ballers.

These old rigs are truley only worth what someone's willing to pay, so asking a group of owners online what your truck is worth is only going to give you an idea of what enthusiasts would pay based on limited information on condition.

Pick a ”ill let it go" price, and post it for sale on this form or on Craigslist and see what happens....
Just remember to post as many photos as you possibly can (interior, exterior, engine, underside) and be as detailed as you can in your post so people know what to expect

I won't be parting it out, I'd rather keep it for when I do eventually get time to complete it.
While I’d have been at your door shortly if you decided to part it out, I think keeping it for the future or selling it intact is the best answer. It certainly appears to,have some good potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom