1 year with the LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It has been nearly a year since I bought my 2004 LX470 and I wanted to cover my restorative experience:

I drove up to Brisbane from Sydney for the truck and now live in the Vic high country. She had 85k miles and looked perfect with full Lexus books, now sits on 90k. It has been a very unexpectedly expensive year and I could not have done it without Mud.

The following has been done, both necessary and preventative;

1. Diff Fluids (Was pretty clean)
2. Transfer case fluid (dirty)
3. Transmission fluid
4. Power steering fluid (dirty)
5. Brake fluid
6. Coolant flush
7. New serpentine belt and pulleys
8. Front sway bar bushes and end links
8. Valve cover gaskets, both sides
9. Pads, discs & costly caliper rebuild

10. A/C air mixer servo motors (This was the most costly job and required an entire dash removal to change at a cost of $2k at Lexus as had to be done at the dealership) - If you are in an LX and the hot air is coming out when requesting cold or vice versa and you hear a grinding noise from behind the dash, walk away. Evaporator was also done at this time as well as re-gas.

11. Heater hose Tee's
12. AHC shocks removed and the lines capped off. 2.5" medium duty Tough Dog suspension installed with uprated Torsion bars and diff drop. Also costly and I was told to take a hike by x3 ARB outfitters. Opposite Lock boys took care of it no problem. My AHC shocks began to leak quite badly. I found the truck did not like the climate change from the QLD heat to the Mountain cold.

13. General Grabber AT2's installed.
14. Prop shaft greased
15. CV boots being done in a few weeks.

I was not expecting all this, it has been somewhat draining, especially financially but also rewarding. It kind of locks me into owning the truck for another 10 years too. (I used to be a car/truck flipper and change to something different every year) Some of it had to be done, some of it was preventstive and I hope spark plugs, MAF and ignition coils can wait because she has taken all I can throw at her for a long time.

Planned: Front seat re-upholster, TJM polished Aluminium bar, now that's "Ah-loo-min-ee-um" not "Aloo-min-um" lol and some ARB intensity spotties.
20170314_124541.jpg

Loved LX's since we got one of the first in Aus in 1998. Here is mine as she stands and me out of the sunroof in 1998 at 10 years old.

20170128_211637.jpg

Isn't the blend door motor/actuator located at the bottom of the HVAC unit by the passenger right foot (in Australian RHD models)? I removed it without removing the dash. You need about inch long screwdrivers and wobbly screwdrivers. Bit tricky but I have all that as a backup incase mine goes bad.

Isn't the blend door motor/actuator located at the bottom of the HVAC unit by the passenger right foot (in Australian RHD models)? I removed it without removing the dash. You need about inch long screwdrivers and wobbly screwdrivers. Bit tricky but I have all that as a backup incase mine goes bad.

No these were the Air mixer motors, smack bang behind the Nav screen. PITA job. I remember the technician saying something about 3 of them on'board and that others are easier to access.

Great info and lovely looking LX. My 05/06 blend door motor has been making some serious clicking noises (like a chook-raffle wheel) for a couple of months but the hot and cold still working. I've pulled the nav screen and instrument cluster and it seems to be located on the back of the heater unit against the firewall so everything will need to come out for access (please correct me if I'm wrong). The other two actuators are the outlet selector ("face/foot/screen") - located driver's side but accessible (awkward) and the fresh/recirculate - located passenger side left. Shame the one that does the most work is the hardest to change. Do you mind me asking which Lexus dealer you used and when? I trying to decide whether to have a crack myself or take to the dealer. Cheers.

Great info and lovely looking LX. My 05/06 blend door motor has been making some serious clicking noises (like a chook-raffle wheel) for a couple of months but the hot and cold still working. I've pulled the nav screen and instrument cluster and it seems to be located on the back of the heater unit against the firewall so everything will need to come out for access (please correct me if I'm wrong). The other two actuators are the outlet selector ("face/foot/screen") - located driver's side but accessible (awkward) and the fresh/recirculate - located passenger side left. Shame the one that does the most work is the hardest to change. Do you mind me asking which Lexus dealer you used and when? I trying to decide whether to have a crack myself or take to the dealer. Cheers.

Hi mate, I'm a Sydney boy originally. Go and see Kelvin Wade at Lexus Chatswood. He'll sort you out. It really is a dealer job unfortunately.

Follow up - nearly a year later again.

I have moved on to a 200 series cruiser. You can find me over in the 200 section.

Loved my LX. Didn't want to sell it but had to for work reasons. When it came time to get another cruiser I went for a 200 for age reasons.
20180217_152452.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom