2000 LX and TLC - no dash light when center diff locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - I'm looking at TLC and LX470s. I drove two 2000 model year, one of each. Neither lit a dash light or the VSC off light when the center diff was locked. Is this normal behavior?

You could hear the diff lock. You could feel the steering difference, so mechanically they were locking.

Just checking if this is a serious issue, or perhaps a harbinger of a serious issue. Both of them were over 250K miles.

Thanks for helping this newb. - Grinchy

I got a 2000 LC and locking the center diff turns on the 4x4 light and VSC light. Perhaps, the lights are burnt on the ones you tested?

That seems reasonable, perhaps rarely used lights burn out easier? The LX probably had never had that button pushed . . . The TLC at least had proper tires on it, so it maybe had been pushed.

Trouble with really used cars, it is hard to know what is normal and not a worry, and what is a sign of the end.

Pull off the gauge cluster trim along the bottom(you just pull on both sides and it will pop of, then disconnect the connector for the dial switch) and tighten the two 10mm bolts. They hold the gauge cluster onto the connectors for everything. If they are loose certain or all lights won't work.

Not serious and the solution is not likely found inside your dash. There are two sensors on top of/near the transfer case. It's common for these sensors to go, leaving you with no indication of the state of the diff lock.

Often the switch that notifies/activates the system telling it CDL is locked gets stuck from lack of use. Keep trying over next few weeks. If still not working replace the switch:
Center Diff Light Fix - My Experience

thanks all for the replies. I'm happy this appears to be a cosmetic issue and not a functional issue. I learned to drive in a 1951 willys. You knew when it was in 4x by looking at the transfer case shifter . . .

highly unlikely the bulb burned out. Unless they used their diff lock ALOT (in which case I would walk away from this deal haha)

all jokes aside, sounds like a simple fix especially if you can confirm the diff is functional even with the light not coming up.

IS VSC on first second key turn to on! Then light's good.

01 LX470
01 LX (2).JPG

In the LX we did look at key on when I noticed no center diff light. I don't remember if VSC off lit or not. I'm thinking it did, and the center diff light didn't (at key on, which I guess is normal). Been a couple days now since the test drive.

I’ve had my 05 LX for 3 months and just today the light FINALLY came on after locking and unlocking the center diff probably 15-20 times over the 3 months. I squealed with joy, and my wife looked at me like a crazy person. Keep working it and the switch that sends the lock signal should loosen up and the lights will come on. Good luck!

E47ADDDA-0902-46C2-93C9-76B68569765F.jpeg

Agreed, it’s likely the indicator switch in the transfer case. It’s a ball-type contact switch that gets “sticky” if not used once in a while. It took about 20 locks/unlocks to get mine working when I bought my ‘05 with 222k miles. If you hear relay (behind glovebox) clicking when lock button is engaged that’s a good sign.

Toyota switch is a bit pricy, but here’s a cheaper version if you can’t get yours unstuck.

Beck Arnley 201-1788 Back Up Lamp Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KSCYCI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RJ5IAbJ9FPVAN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom