Any previous GX470 owners? Considering GX460... and cross-shopping. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm back in the market for a Reliable 4wd Toyota after getting rid of my 80 series land cruiser and have narrowed it down to the GX470, GX460 mainly due to easier to find in the used market with low mileage and well taken cared of.

I Need a vehicle to last 15 years as previous land cruiser did. I believe these vehicles are true land cruisers as they are global models compared to vehicles such as 4runner and Sequoia built for the US market so I feel the reliability and engineering is top notch as my 80 series land cruiser was and is pretty cool to know that we get these awesome Land cruiser Prado 120/150 that have been badged for mall duty, but we can strip that bling and rough it up as the GX470 market is proving.

I have now been comparing the Pro's and Con's.

Any Pros and con's you can throw into this thread would be greatly appreciated. I have been exhausting the search feature but would love to hear first hand from previous GX470 owners or if you considered both options as well and what steered you towards the 150 series.

GX470 benefits to me are:
  1. Proven Engine as used in the Land Cruiser/LX470 and Tundra family of vehicles.
  2. Used Market is easy to find 100K examples for 15-20k and off road market is becoming more established.
  3. The reputation of reliability for the GX470 is now truly being shown with many 300K examples littered in the used card market.
GX470 Cons
  1. Harder to find KDSS as this is a must have to enjoy the road manners
  2. Body style is starting to age doesn't have that timeless design which ages well such as 80/100 series.
  3. Seems Smaller compared to GX460
GX460 Pro's

1. KDSS availability easy to find due to being standard on premium trim
  2. Mileage below 100K is much easier to find
  3. Larger and higher quality materials used in the interior to pamper the wife while driving
  4. Folding 3rd row seats
  5. Off Road features available such as Crawl Control, Down Hill Assist Control, and hill start
GX460 Cons
  1. In US the off road market has not yet trickled into this capable truck, but might be something we get 5-10 years down the road such as the GX470 as they become more affordable for 4x4 use. Possible to re-purpose Prado 150 parts from Europe/Australia but an extra annoyance.
  2. Reliability of engine not yet proven as the 100 series engine.
  3. Price, are the Pro's of this vehicle worth the 25-30K sticker price for a well cared for model or should I just save the 10K and shoot for a late model GX470.
Interesting video below, we need a good GX470/GX460 comparison for the US.

I wish we could understand these guys:

Cousin had a 470 and loved it. Was going to get a 460 but didn’t seem to have the low end grunt like the 470 had. He also thought the 470 was more rugged. As for me, the 4.7L 8 in my Tundra has 353K miles and still running strong. Amazing motor

I have both. 2007 470 and 2015 460. You will be happy either way.
I like the 470 a lot and you can find good ones at a bargain if you look and they will last forever.
The 460 does have a little more room with the fold down seats.
Just look for the best deal you can find and go for it.

We had a 470 for a few years and moved to an RX350. After 18 months we needed something bigger so we ended up getting the 460. The lack of low end power is real in comparison but the 460 is def better dressed up to keep the wifey happy. While the 2uz is tried and true, at 82k on the 460 there is nothing to say it will have any reliability issues (side note, I do have a 100 with 185k). I really enjoyed both of them so it really comes down to what you need; electric 3rd row or something you can remove easily?

I'll be in this same boat trying to decide myself, or a 4Runner-non TRD Pro version with the goodies. I test drove both over the weekend and the Toyota salesman told me that the TRD Pros are so hard to find and each dealer only gets 2-3/year, maybe a bonus one~ And they go for 6-7k over MSRP because of it. Eff that, other versions have all the same but the Fox suspension. He was also a little oblivious to the GX relationship and abilities once I educated him a little bit. We shall see, like the poster above said, best deal you can find on either your wallet likes best!

I have had the 120 Prado and now the 150. The 150 is full of useless computer crap, but still a machine. Go for the newer version as you can never go wrong with a Toyota. Mine has worked hard in all Africa conditions and never skipped a beat. The only real fault I can give the 150 ser is the boot floor. It's slopes out because of the folded up dickey seat.

You are in a safe spot with your choices. 470, 460 or 4runner will last at least as long as an 80, and as you know that is saying something. That 4.7 has no idea what quit means and Lexus in general won't produce anything unless it lasts pretty much forever. X2 on Metaltech for cool accessories for the 460. I have an 80 and will have one forever, but really the newer drivelines just keep getting more reliable imho (I do love the inline 6 tho).

I'll be in this same boat trying to decide myself, or a 4Runner-non TRD Pro version with the goodies. I test drove both over the weekend and the Toyota salesman told me that the TRD Pros are so hard to find and each dealer only gets 2-3/year, maybe a bonus one~ And they go for 6-7k over MSRP because of it. Eff that, other versions have all the same but the Fox suspension. He was also a little oblivious to the GX relationship and abilities once I educated him a little bit. We shall see, like the poster above said, best deal you can find on either your wallet likes best!

My Pro was 500 under msrp. I called around and found one dealer that was 500 under but the salesman was a putz so I called a dealer farther away that has a great reputation (Crown in Holland MI) and they matched it.

That 5-6k over msrp difference would buy a Magnusson supercharger ;)

Yeah agreed, I think it's gotta be the market here in the DC Metro area then, they're next to impossible to find; crazy when you see new listings on AutoTrader and then a used rig with 15k on it for the same price:doh:

GX460 = 2/3 size 200 series. This sums it up.

I have both, and both built almost the same. The GX470 will be lower cost to get into. Its a great truck, 4.7 lots of low end. But if your looking for low mileage, well maintained etc, those 470s are going for top $$. However the 460 can be found in in the early years 2010-2013 for about $4-6K more and you get every penny with the more. The air conditioned seats are outstanding!

My 470 sits. My 460 is my DD. More comfortable and modern features.

The 470 is getting a lot of attention now in the aftermarket and will continue to as others see the potential and jump in. Its the next "80" series basically. Good price, most are comming out of family duty, lots of capability, just a good all around off road rig. It's going to be a lot of fun when we start finding more $4k flogged 470s ready for real hard trail use.

www.metaltech4x4.com Lexus GX460 - built for expo use.

GX460 = 2/3 size 200 series. This sums it up.

I have both, and both built almost the same. The GX470 will be lower cost to get into. Its a great truck, 4.7 lots of low end. But if your looking for low mileage, well maintained etc, those 470s are going for top $$. However the 460 can be found in in the early years 2010-2013 for about $4-6K more and you get every penny with the more. The air conditioned seats are outstanding!

My 470 sits. My 460 is my DD. More comfortable and modern features.

The 470 is getting a lot of attention now in the aftermarket and will continue to as others see the potential and jump in. Its the next "80" series basically. Good price, most are comming out of family duty, lots of capability, just a good all around off road rig. It's going to be a lot of fun when we start finding more $4k flogged 470s ready for real hard trail use.

www.metaltech4x4.com Lexus GX460 - built for expo use.

Thanks all for the great comments, I am definitely leaning more towards the GX460 2010-2013 and as you mention the 4k-6k difference is definitely worth the premium due to guaranteed KDSS -> AC seats -> Safety tech -> Crawl Control easy to add -> More Modern -> Little Larger -> More efficient -> Rear open window -> Rear folding seats -> I can keep going trying to convince myself ;)

I will have to save for that 5k gem ready for real hard trail use so I can have both!

The search is on.

Hey all, so I have GX470. It is outstanding and I've done some work to it to fit my needs to explore in. So far it has tested my limits more than I have tested its. Although I love it, i would like something with more comfort features. It is my daily driver and having Bluetooth, cooled seats, updated interior ect would be nice. My GX470 as it sits right now:
GX470.jpg

Now I know that the options for a 2014+ GX460 are limited but I like a challenge. And after seeing some up close that have been modified and some online (like below) I really like the updated look of the 2014+ especially the one below and Not to mention all the features and updates.
What I'd like to do is the typical: Lift, Wheels/Tires, Sliders/Skids, Rack, lights, Bumper/Winch and what not. Now my question is this, which GX460 would you get to get the most optimal off road features?

gx460.jpg

I am a huge fan of the GX platform. Its the perfect size, very capable, and full of creature comforts.

Hey all, so I have GX470. It is outstanding and I've done some work to it to fit my needs to explore in. So far it has tested my limits more than I have tested its. Although I love it, i would like something with more comfort features. It is my daily driver and having Bluetooth, cooled seats, updated interior ect would be nice. My GX470 as it sits right now:View attachment 1670326

Now I know that the options for a 2014+ GX460 are limited but I like a challenge. And after seeing some up close that have been modified and some online (like below) I really like the updated look of the 2014+ especially the one below and Not to mention all the features and updates.
What I'd like to do is the typical: Lift, Wheels/Tires, Sliders/Skids, Rack, lights, Bumper/Winch and what not. Now my question is this, which GX460 would you

View attachment 1670327

I am a huge fan of the GX platform. Its the perfect size, very capable, and full of creature comforts.

Who made the bumper for the '14+? Looks really good! Didn't realize someone made one....

Who made the bumper for the '14+? Looks really good! Didn't realize someone made one....
Pretty sure that was a one off custom one. I do know either Southern Style or MetalTech is working on them. In the coming months I know there will be some bumpers coming up. I really like the one above and I want to make something similar if I do end up with a GX460. Sold my GX470 a few days ago.

I owned a 2002 GX 470 when new. Lots of vehicles since then, mostly Toyotas. When it was time to replace the house/work truck, it came down to 200 or GX 460. Went with the 460 - no regrets.

Pretty sure that was a one off custom one. I do know either Southern Style or MetalTech is working on them. In the coming months I know there will be some bumpers coming up. I really like the one above and I want to make something similar if I do end up with a GX460. Sold my GX470 a few days ago.

Thank you for sharing this Sugarsam - I 'think' this GX was at the Lone Star Jamboree but I only caught a passing look as I was starting a trial run. So it may have been a 2010-2013 with one of the other bumpers that are already on the market.

I will drop Metaltech and SSO a note to see what they have in the works.

I have an 80 series and wanted something newer.

I looked quite a bit at 470s, I liked the paying in cash part but I couldn't find one that I was happy with. They have a great motor but after 2nd gear they didn't pull like a 460, also the timing belt every 100K sucks. I found the interior to be worn past my content, and generally they all have rust somewhere. Its an older vehicle, needs more work, its expected.

I test drove a 460 and it was an immediate love. I like the motor, it moves the truck pretty good and 20mpg is awesome. The creature comforts are nice, my favorite part is the interior room and seating position. There is more room and a better roof height. I found a nice certified premium 2016 for $31k. I found some plastic panel scratches in the cargo area and a dirty air filter, other than that is was almost perfect.

Having an 80 and the 460 is nice. They are completely different trucks on the highway but the 460 does pretty darn good getting me to my cabin. I think someone would like both, the price is the biggest difference. I ended up buying the nicest GX I could find for the least money.

I found a nice certified premium 2016 for $31k. I found some plastic panel scratches in the cargo area and a dirty air filter, other than that is was almost perfect.

Dirty air filter? Assuming it's a Lexus certified, how did they miss that?! I guess the filter is behind the glovebox light LOL

"161-POINT INSPECTION
Each L/Certified by Lexus vehicle undergoes a comprehensive inspection including: engine, exterior, interior, electronics, safety devices, undercarriage and a road test. During the inspection process, we focus on the details. Specially trained technicians inspect every aspect of the pre-owned vehicle, right down to the first aid kit, spare tire and glovebox light."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom