Rear window won't go up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in Minnesota very cold here. My windows get stuck halfway up. I installed all new motors. And still get stuck. Even after cleaning guides. Not often the problem is neither t g e guides nor the motor. The solution is the window felt runners are bad. New ones can be ordered online for $80-$100 bucks per window. The problem is the felt wears out putting window in contact with rubber backing and guess what rubber and glass means stucky.

You mean this?
upload_2018-2-17_10-55-17.png

No not that, the runner felt is the grooves that the window sits in they run vertical it's a long plastic piece with a grooved valley and the felt is what lines the groove, it's like a felt on a pool table only better it allows the window to slide easily up and down. It comes in a roll that after you install then cut to length. Google rear window runner felt 95 landcruiser and you will see images of what you need. Landcruiser parts .net I think it is that has them new.

The felt weather strip you showed me is horizontal, the ones I'm talking about are called runner felt and it's vertical the edge if the window sits in the groove of the runner felt and keeps and guides window vertically. This wears over the years down to the rubber causing it to stick new felt runners are like hot knife thru butter just glides smooth, they are spend though.

You don't happen to have a part number do you? Mr. Google doesn't seem to know what you're referring to.

for now type in google" rear window seal 95 landcruiser" scroll down to windows & rubbers: Cruiser parts.net Toyota Landcruiser Parts and click on that then images of what you need will pop up click on image for RUN CHANNEL REAR DOOR GLASS OR WHATEVER RUNNER CHANNEL YOU NEED FOR WHAT EVER YEAR YOU NEED i GET MANY NEW AND USED PARTS FROM HERE.

THEY ARE SPENDY BUT THIS IS WHAT FIXES THE PROBLEM FOR NON SLIDING WINDOWS, i TOO MADE THE MISTAKE OF BUYING 4 NEW MOTORS AND STILL HAD THE PROBLEM THEN i TOOK BRAKE CLEANER AND CLEANED THE RUNNER GLASS CHANNEL WHCIH HELPED BUT THEN TOOK A FLASH LITE AND SHINED IN THE CHANNEL AND ALL THE LITTLE FELT FIBERS WERE GONE JUST SMOOTH SHINY RUBBER LEFT THIS IS WHY ITS STILL STICKY EVEN THOUGH WHAT I DID HELPED BUT IT STILLS STICKY AND ON OCCASION STOPS UNTIL I HIT BUMP IN ROAD JARRING IT LOOSE AGAIN THEN UP IT GOES. i THINK THERE 69 FOR A SINGLE ONE AND EACH WINDOW TAKES 2 RUN CHANNELS

Looks like a few choices here on MUD that's good I hope I helped shed some light and information that helps someone. and it seems others have helped as well that's exactly what this sites for to help each other out with information. I know I have used this site to get help with other issues I have had and am thankful for all the help. Thanks every one!
Patrick Ward

I personally havent replaced mine yet, I had to learn the trial and error way by doing it myself, I too thought it was a motor or guide issue but after cleaning the guides and installing new motors all four windows I was still having some issues thats when I used a flash lite to look into the window runner channels and noticed the problem stupid me well at least everything else is good now! just need to order the new runner felt now and all will be even greater. of course now I am broke from ordering 4 new motors. gotta save and get the runners now! at least I now have experience in this area and know for next time! Lesson learned

I recently ordered my full set from McGeorge Toyota. Search fir their site. They are typically less expensive than local dealers.
I'm on my phone or I'd post a link.

Cruiser Parts . net has them also, pretty much same price as all ive seen posted here a few dollars difference here nor there is no biggie around 60 to 80 each window is going price between $120 and $225 for a set of left or right runner channels just the year vehicle may make the only difference in price that and whether its from dealer. Dealer usually mostly has a higher price on merchandise but not necessarily always true. just depends.

64BDCF2C-23B4-4860-851A-7552EDF1D110.jpeg
I am in Minnesota very cold here. My windows get stuck halfway up. I installed all new motors. And still get stuck. Even after cleaning guides. Not often the problem is neither t g e guides nor the motor. The solution is the window felt runners are bad. New ones can be ordered online for $80-$100 bucks per window. The problem is the felt wears out putting window in contact with rubber backing and guess what rubber and glass means stucky.

x2 on the Minnesota cold and windows not working, stuck halfway up. I put a new motor in yesterday and did not improve at all. At this point I can’t imagine paying nearly $300 just for new rubber guides for the windows on my 94 so I just went out in the 20° weather with a warm aerosol can of Ballistol and spayed the rubber channels. Problem was instantaneously solved!! Who knows how long the Ballistol will last or if I’ll regret this action for some other unknown reason. I may even pull off the rubber tracks scrub them up and soak them in the Ballistol overnight then reinstall just for grins. It definitely has a reconditioning effect on other materials maybe it will work for old rubber. I’ve been using this stuff for years on the guns and in the cold. The important thing is to not put it on too thick.

Last edited:
Another thing you can try is to pull the window runs out...It's easy and can be done with the windows and door panels on. Clean them up with soapy water and a toothbrush or something similar. I then used some Rubber Conditioner I already had (https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Shin-Etsu-Grease/dp/B006Z9TZ9M) which is meant for door and window seals. I rubbed this lightly down the channel. The rubber feels very smooth and new now. Installed back in and my windows work much better.

This video helped me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom