Builds Hard Ways - Rigger's 1969 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The small round holes on the top are for various license plate mounting options.

Wow that's a lot of license plate brackets. The two styles used in the US had the same bolt pattern. Inside the three square holes on each side that mounted the bumper to the front frame plates were six holes. Two for the winch, two for the license plate bracket and two for the guide for the hand crank. Outside the frame holes there was a hole on each side for fog lights and two holes on the right side for the license plate bracket when the PTO winch installed. Believe a set of holes was added to the bottom of of the bumper for a different license plate bracket that was used when a winch and fog lights were installed. Only seen factory pictures of that one posted here. Never seen one in person. Would be curious what other license plate brackets or options Toyota had that required for all the extra holes?

Major progress. Installed new glove box door cable.

399CB4FE-2CED-4BA5-A2E8-CD04F3E85158.jpeg

6F502A63-04B1-45C2-B95D-9BFEA0F7CD23.jpeg

Trying to understand rear light wiring. Educate me.

Each rear taillight assembly has one bulb with two filaments. One filament is illuminated when the taillights are on. The other is illuminated in an on-off-on-off fashion when the turn signals are in use. So, what happens when the brakes are used? Which filament lights up?

:hmm:

Your brake light and turn signal should be the same filament
JP

The wire from the brake light switch on the brake pedal goes thru the turn signal switch. When the turn signal is on it opens the brake light to that tail light so it flashes instead on being a solid light.

Rattle can my Joe TLC bumper

D900A014-F6DC-490E-9A84-E4EA0372D4AA.jpeg

D6FE5D99-F270-497B-949E-1CFDDD4EDB9F.jpeg

I lack the patience to be a good painter. But despite a few screwups it looks ok.

30C41A9D-2BD0-4A3F-B80E-9A597AF703F6.jpeg
3A6FA90B-26B6-4D61-9A78-16668D2BAC75.jpeg
8669DD0A-21C6-4E0A-8D2E-84C1F9CDD3D6.jpeg

My rocker protectors are black so the front bumper is black to match. My wife’s idea. I like it. I’m liking the whole look; wide road-type tires, grey spokers, and these black elements. I’m staying with it. I like it.

You’re no doubt wondering, then why the stock rim and stock bumper purchases? Well, I’m already thinking of the next truck. Perhaps they’ll go on that one!

A bit more rattle can work today.

79D28398-64E1-454A-BC95-8E8B6D1E6DEF.jpeg

Back to wiring:

When headlights switch is pulled out, I get power to one wire each side at the rear. So far so good.

Can’t get power to other wire. No turn signals, no brake lights.

License plate illuminater works.

Backup light does not work.

Is this switch on the steering column the back up light switch?

F6BC312B-198C-44ED-8211-F46D4B730406.jpeg

Yes that is were the back up switch was on my column shift.
JP

Is the business end of this supposed to move in and out? Mine is stuck.

78FE7D75-A980-4EFA-B896-2DF0BBD6F56E.jpeg

Yea it`s a plunger switch. Spray some contact cleaner in it and try to work it in and out
JP

Thanks for your help @mrboatman

I’ll work on this switch some more.

My coolant leak will, I hope, be resolved by adding this part to the mix. It threads in at top/back of motor. Does anyone know - do I need thread sealer on it?

232E6485-8184-45AB-9598-B7D9FE7D201C.jpeg

Fun following your build--my new to me 69', factory soft top version, is close to your vintage and has many of the same quirks (differences) from earlier in the year. Mine is in the shop getting a laundry list of deferred work done. Anyway, you rig is very similar to mine and, again, I enjoy following your progress! m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom