White Knuckle Install Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Attempting install of my White Knuckle Sliders on the 97 Cruiser.

Issue 1 - No instructions in the box. Searched here and Google, lots of finished pics and an install PDF for a 100 series, but nothing for 80 series. No PDF download found on the White Knuckle site either. Anyone have the PDF they can post up?

Originally wondered what the bolts with the sleeves were for ... figured that out when saw the brake lines in the way.

Issue 2 - How or what tool did people use to get the rear brake line holder off? Putting the bolt direct above the holder is keeping me from getting a 12mm open end wrench on it and leverage to crack it loose. The fuel tank is too close for me to get even the 1/4" socket on that bolt either.

Looking for some real time help if possible so I can finish the easy side :confused:

I remember mine being tight but not bad enough to remember anything special needed. I think I used a wrench or speed wrench at least to get it started, if I remember even the smallest ratchet and socket was too long to fit in there. Might of used the socket by hand once it was loose. Or might of used a vice grip on a loose socket already on the bolt to get that first twist.

The last set I helped install we used a short stubby wrench in that bolt IIRC. It was tedious but not impossible.

Just reviewed a few more threads and it dawns on me I may have another issue too. I ordered them to fit the 1" body lift and haven't installed that yet either. Possible the doors won't open then w/o the lift done? Need to check that now. Frustrated that everything I do on the truck seems to stumble by what looks like 1 simple step.

Just reviewed a few more threads and it dawns on me I may have another issue too. I ordered them to fit the 1" body lift and haven't installed that yet either. Possible the doors won't open then w/o the lift done? Need to check that now. Frustrated that everything I do on the truck seems to stumble by what looks like 1 simple step.
I've had a rash of that myself in spells, seems when it rains it pours when it comes to frustrating issues. You'll get past it!

The brake line bolt was incredibly difficult to get off, be tenacious. There should be instructions...they can email you a copy.

Thanks Congo.

Took off the front 2 brackets and quit for the day. Will search for the proper tool if there is such a thing. Might regroup and try again next weekend or later this week. To add insult to injury, while under the truck I noticed a lot of oil mist. popped the hood and seems I have a pressure spray of a fine mist somewhere on the drivers side front. Just when I finally got all the coolant leaks stopped :bang:

Here you go @Cass007...pretty basic instructions, but I hope they help...

7857F504-423E-45F0-BC0F-3056D9512EAE.jpeg

F3972C75-2856-4A28-98B2-10B6310C12AA.jpeg

E1E13743-1DDC-4B66-9DCB-9DD64E2C55DE.jpeg

Let us know how it goes. Would appreciate any tips, as this is on my list for next weekend.

FYI - these instructions were included with the sliders I ordered for my 1995 FZJ80 with no lift.

Sorry about your oil must issue. As @Haspin FJ said, you’ll get past it! Hang in there.

Take care.
I’m installing a set of white knuckle sliders on my 96 this weekend, were you able to get the longer bolt and spacer installed on the brake line near the gas tank? It’s very tight in there.

Looking at pass through socket from Lowe's and also saw S-shaped and Half Moon shaped wrenches on Summit Racing that look like they may work. Have a friend stopping by in the next day or two to see if he has the proper tool.

What I do know, my 12mm speed wrench didn't fit. The long version 12mm was a no go. Tried the socket in the vice grips ... still no. Local 4x4 shop wants $350 for install and I think that is way too much. I live in Jeep country, seems everyone has one here and as soon as you don't drive a Jeep they just double the price to do everything.

The other question I have now is can I put the sliders on without doing the body lift first? If anyone knows, please chime in.

Looking at pass through socket from Lowe's and also saw S-shaped and Half Moon shaped wrenches on Summit Racing that look like they may work. Have a friend stopping by in the next day or two to see if he has the proper tool.

What I do know, my 12mm speed wrench didn't fit. The long version 12mm was a no go. Tried the socket in the vice grips ... still no. Local 4x4 shop wants $350 for install and I think that is way too much. I live in Jeep country, seems everyone has one here and as soon as you don't drive a Jeep they just double the price to do everything.

The other question I have now is can I put the sliders on without doing the body lift first? If anyone knows, please chime in.

Maybe instead of talking to a local Jeep shop about installation you should just talk to a mechanic about taking that bolt out. Someone with the right tool for the job is going to get it done quickly and easily. What they charge you to use the right tool for the job on the other hand...

Did you buy sliders for a body lift? Because this seems like a common sense question to me. If the sliders are made for a body lift and it isn’t yet installed, it will be in the way.

It seems like common sense, but maybe they would fit. I'm pushing to get back off-road asap and not 100% sure I want to tackle the body lift. But it seems that it must be done before the sliders.

I had called the 4x4 shop for the estimate the day I ordered the sliders. Their price and no real horror stories on mud about the install made me want to give it a try.

After reading all the other threads on White Knuckle installs, the drivers side is the "easy side" and I didn't see the brake line bolts mentioned as being difficult, I only saw mention of the bolts near the cats. Regardless, the bolt is off now. Long 12mm wrench and a bunch of pressure to crack it loose. Then a speed wrench, 1 finger over the bolt and the other hand going about 2 clicks at a time and several minutes later the bolt is off.

The new bolt is super tight in the spacer on is challenging. The struggle continues tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom