Dual Battery choice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at doing a dual battery setup.

Basically want to have the backup of starting power if needed while out in the sticks, and to run a fridge for longer trips or extra juice if I winch.

has me leaning towards a deep cycle AGM batt.

going with stainless trays stock size tray.

My first choice was the monster Diehard platinum marine group 31 but they dont make that any more. also its a lotta $ and maybe overkill for my simple needs.

so then I get to looking at other group 31 or 27 sized AGM Deep cycle batts. With the 27 I give up some CCA and Amp hours but I gain cost savings...

im a big fan of Interstate. They normally last me 10 plus years. Also have had good success with Odyssey but they are $$$.

No, no optimas. They are out of the question for me. Too many failures.

Interstate 27 option: Interstate Batteries | SRM-27

Interstate 31 AGM option: Interstate Batteries | 31M-AGM

the 31 is twice the price for 200 more CCA, 30 more Reserve Hours and triple the warranty length.

Am I overthinking this? am I Missing anything?

Appreciate your advice

My vote: 2 affordable, easy to find identical group 27 size wet cell batteries of your choice. They fit perfectly and aren't so heavy that they'll break your back lifting them.
No matter what battery type, size & brand you get, they won't last long once you start using them for a fridge or winch. Don't pay over $150 ea. At least that's my motto... cuz you'll be buying them again.

Get this for self jump start and isolation
https://www.amazon.com/T-MAX-47-380...ords=Westin+47-3800+T-Max+Dual+Battery+System

All I did was upgrade the cables and solenoid, I can say after having one in my FJCruiser and then in my Land Rover they are awesome. I have a new one ready for the 60. It is similar to other big brands for much less.
I have no affiliate with them just a user.

As for batteries. My main is a wet cell and my secondary is a gel (I have the Diehard platinum marine still in fantastic shape)
This will be the third vehicle I put this kit in.

Main battery = Daily life of a 60 + winch
Secondary battery = Camp lights, fridge, other accessories.
The T-Max Dual Battery System isolates the secondary battery from the main one aside from charge. Meaning it can run dead and the vehicle will still start of the main. OR you can use the auto link and jump your main battery. I did change the wiring and did not use the solenoid they offered and changed to a 200amp relay

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking of getting the National Luna system for wiring the two.

National Luna 12V Split Charger System

but that system you shared seems pretty similar and a lot cheaper..

Yep
It was the one I was referring to. I found the battery cable a little light on th T-max, but that is cheap. The solinod it comes with is fine and will work great, it is similar to a starter solenoid or winch type. My design just upgraded it.

I could not justify the cost of the NL kit and tried this one.
I think the NL kit comes with a fuse, I used this instead
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024JOKM4/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item

Never let me down and I even tested the just start by killing my battery on purpose. It worked as well.

With a few changes and upgrades I was still way under the NL price.

For the dual battery I ran this through a protected Fuse block modified for an always on circuit for the fridge.
The Other accessories ran through the ignition powered part of the fuse block.

Do you have any pics of your setup? thanks!

Measure the size of that group 31 before you buy it. The Northstar/X2 power group 31 battery was too long for the stainless cruiser trays. I ended up getting a group 27 and it was just right size wise.

^ good advice for sure. I've already settled on a group 27. I'll run a regular wet cell auto batt, and then a deep cycle 27 for house stuff.

Thanks!

Stainlessteeltray does make a size 31 battery tray of you haven't ordered already.... not listed on their site but a quick email to Noel will get you one...

In that Northstar / X2 you would still need to get rid of the top post terminals to make it fit under that hood.... For the $$ i would def go with a group 27M... it will use the standard tray too .....

Thanks @MANUCHAO I ordered the 27 series standard tray. More bang for the buck so to speak. .. or maybe I should say similar bang for fewer bucks..

My group 27 X2 battery (with marine top posts) fits just fine under the hood. Or were you talking about the 31?

Id love to see group 31 installed, I cant fit mine under the hood. not securely at least

I’ve been back and forth about this. I was ready to buy two odyssey batteries but two wet cells seem more reasonable.

I’ll end up with a group 27 deep cycle marine battery from interstate.

I’m a big fan of Odyssey batteries. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for. They handle deep cycle discharge and re-charge very well and last forever.

69629B9A-87B8-4AE2-A3F0-D4833C1B0802.jpeg

You want to have a deep cycle for the second battery.
I have odessey's for starting/winching and as my aux and I travel wheel and test the shiite out of them with no issues.

Id love to see group 31 installed, I cant fit mine under the hood. not securely at least

I had to cut the tray and order a new hold down... so it is secure....
Did away with the post. .
20180212_141713.jpg
just need to clean up all them wires.... but I'll do that when i get back home. .. it clears the hood fine. .
This ous my aux battery btw......

I had to cut the tray and order a new hold down... so it is secure....
Did away with the post. .
View attachment 1635480 just need to clean up all them wires.... but I'll do that when i get back home. .. it clears the hood fine. .
This ous my aux battery btw......
where did you order hold down? and can you get a pic of whats UNDER that 31 series?? I may copy this install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom