Interior Door Panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm not sure if this has ever been addressed. The interior door panels of my 1993 FZJ80 are douched. The handle/door pocket are haphazardly connected to the panel on both front doors. On top of that, the power window/door lock plastic cover is broken and not really well connected either. Has anyone replaced their panels with aftermarket ones or know where I can get new panels? All thanks in advance.

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to get some luan and make he panels myself by using the original as a template.

If you are talking about the particle board you can try soaking the ripped areas in model airplane glue in order to make it rigid again.

Would be sweet to have them 3D Scanned.

I cut mine out of Masonite.

Sorry about that. Here's a screen shot I guess . . .door cards on eBay.

Perhaps I should. Stay tuned

I built steel panels and reassembled door panel, but there wasn't any demand for them.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cardboard-door-panels-dont-last-4ever-but-this-could.815225/

My only issue with these was the fact that they were steel. Seems like some added weight. I'm not sure steel is needed, but just about anything is better than the powderboard they are made of currently.
That being said, What is the weight of a panel compared to the masonite?

I feel like some nicely finished 1/4" or 3/8" baltic birch plywood would look really nice and be better than masonite. For that matter, depending on availability of a CNC for cutting, you could make some by vacuum-forming plastic sheet too.

Once they are built you never see the material, and they were covered in POR15 so rust shouldn't be an issue. The weight I bet maybe adds 5-7% to the total weight of the panel once you add handles, door pockets, etc. Aluminum or composite would probably double or triple the cost I would guess.

My only issue with these was the fact that they were steel. Seems like some added weight. I'm not sure steel is needed, but just about anything is better than the powderboard they are made of currently.
That being said, What is the weight of a panel compared to the masonite?

I feel like some nicely finished 1/4" or 3/8" baltic birch plywood would look really nice and be better than masonite. For that matter, depending on availability of a CNC for cutting, you could make some by vacuum-forming plastic sheet too.

I don't care about the rust so much for exactly the reason you stated... you can get galvanized material to start with if that was a real worry.
I'm more concerned for the fact that the durability testing for the doors is done at a particular mass. Everything is designed around the mass of the door... Granted, it was probably overkill and that's why nobody has hinge issues, but I wouldn't want to invite issues with the latch or something if it isn't needed. Reducing the mass of Musthave's panels will likely only result in increased cost, but I still feel the solution could be overkill and might bring on other issues if its more than a 10% change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom