Previous 80 owners? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bettin its the oil pump and front main based on the size of the leak. Where you taking it?
I have had it in my buddy's shop, Egan Auto in Kaysville. They degreased and steamed it, then dyed the oil so we can see where all of the leaks are. Then I will decide if it's worth the $$$ to fix them all. Right now, I am inclined to get them fixed.

I have a ‘94 80 series, a 2008 FJ and just picked up a 2008 GX with 42k miles. Working on getting the mods going for the GX now.

464ECC81-0FC9-4DBD-A211-76466C65EF63.jpeg

1E3345AE-8102-4EFA-87F6-87B5541FC5E2.jpeg

D44422D9-6637-43F3-968B-2ADB5CA8F673.png

I had a '91 HDJ81 that I lost in a garage fire, bought our '04 GX470 the following weekend and it was my daily driver for a year or so. I found the GX to be very nice, the V8 is great, but it really lacked character compared to my 80. I'm now back in an HDJ81 where I belong and the GX is the wife's, and our primary road trip vehicle, and it fits in perfectly (fuel consumption aside).

Picture 001.jpg
Coils w spare.JPG
P1111487.JPG

FWIW my brother had an 80 in Denver and it was underpowered. He's in a '99 LX now (100 series) and it's quite a difference. But the LC platform is great - it just rolls over some ground. I haven't had my GX on trail enough yet, but so far it's also been great and practically doesn't notice ice/snow/deep sand. But for now we're eyeing import of a diesel 100 series, available legally in about 5 years.

After having my 120 out in the sand this weekend, I do have to say my 80 was much more confidence inspiring.

After having my 120 out in the sand this weekend, I do have to say my 80 was much more confidence inspiring.

Quite understandable... but...
What if you swapped to say, equivalent suspensions (off the shelf) and tires to the 80? :hmm:
The 120 would be even more inspiring!

Justification for mods! :smokin: (not that justification is required)

Quite understandable... but...
What if you swapped to say, equivalent suspensions (off the shelf) and tires to the 80? :hmm:
The 120 would be even more inspiring!

Justification for mods! :smokin: (not that justification is required)

My 80 had Fox 2.0 shocks, OME springs and 285/75/16 Duratracs.

My 120 has Toytec/Bilstein front coilovers, Metaltech rear spring conversion, Toytec rear springs, Bilstein rear shocks, dif drop and 285/70/17 Duratracs.

I have a triple locked 80 and a new to me 2006 GX. They are two different beasts indeed. Drove the GX 1500 miles home, and I can say without hesitation it is WAY more comfortable on the road. But there is NO WAY the 80 is going anyplace. Both great rigs but the 80 is the off-road machine!

I had an 80 I loved but came to a point where it was time for a lot of new parts and rust was becoming an issue. I finally accepted my status as daily driver and trail explorer and really like the GX. V8 is great and it is really comfortable.

What was it that you didn't like about the GX470 on the sand? Did you air-down? Did you lock the center? Just curious.

What was it that you didn't like about the GX470 on the sand? Did you air-down? Did you lock the center? Just curious.

Tried all combos so I could get a feel for what it can do.

In my 80 I could drive onto the sand in 4hi, no CDL, normal street PSI and feel completely comfortable.

In the 120 it just felt... Different. I can't objectively say it was less capable, it just didn't inspire as much confidence. It also doesn't help that I got stuck for the first time ever the first time I took the 120 offroad.

Interesting. I came from an 96FZJ80 that my son now drives. I had a similar feeling as you when I first started driving the GX470.

My 80 was a beast in the dunes in Pismo Beach and on the trails to Geologist Cabin in Death Valley plus a goat on medium difficulty rocks in Anza Borrego’s boulder alley.

When I first went out on the GX470, I didn’t feel it was as capable off-road as the 80. I went on the same trails and realized that the GX470 requires more of the driver. Maybe take different paths, air down more, go over rocks slightly different, slowly throttle the gas under 2000 rpms, back up more, put in in 4lo and lock the center early, etc.

So far the GX470s has made it on all the trails that my 80 went on. It did require more of me as a driver unlike the 80 that allows novice drivers to go over the same terrain without thinking!

Anyways, I’m sure others will disagree but that was my feeling too that the 80 could off-road much easier than the GX470.

I wouldn’t go back to an 80 just because the highway ride on the GX470 is soooo much more comfortable, mpg’s are way better, and more horsepower to go over the mountains

Last edited:
My 80 had Fox 2.0 shocks, OME springs and 285/75/16 Duratracs.

My 120 has Toytec/Bilstein front coilovers, Metaltech rear spring conversion, Toytec rear springs, Bilstein rear shocks, dif drop and 285/70/17 Duratracs.

Nice builds... :smokin:
120 - Creature comforts for the asphalt... now worries fitting in the low hanging mall parking garages..

I am going with the Bilstein coil over as well on the 4runner, could not wait for the AARP discount code (sarcasm).
Was nice getting compliments from the other softball dads at the ball fields, with my 80. o_O

I have a 96 triple locked diesel 80 and a 04 GX470. I would say try to decided how you use it? The components in the 80 are more stout and it is a more capable vehicle than the GX. The GX is very comfortable and can to more. I have to drive a mountain pass regularly for work and the GX is a breeze for a day of all driving in the snow and slush. In the summer we almost always tow our railer with the GX. When the weather is really bad or I am going in a cruiser event I take the 80.
20170620_141233.jpg
DSC05011.JPG

Tried all combos so I could get a feel for what it can do.

In my 80 I could drive onto the sand in 4hi, no CDL, normal street PSI and feel completely comfortable.

In the 120 it just felt... Different. I can't objectively say it was less capable, it just didn't inspire as much confidence. It also doesn't help that I got stuck for the first time ever the first time I took the 120 offroad.
I hear you. I had a 5-speed, 4.0 TJ Jeep for six years prior to owning my Tacoma and GX. Technology is definitely not always a good thing. There is something very reassuring about being able to lock everything up and mash the gas without a bunch of nannies trying to work against you.

FC82CC28-4CC1-4A3A-910E-32B8B9EA56EF.jpeg
EAF1B179-EFB2-4CF9-8912-2EB41263BD7F.jpeg
Never will sell the 80 or FJ and just picked up my tires for my GX. Only 42k miles so I kept the stock suspension and used suspension spacers and wheel spacers on stock wheels with 285/70r17’s.

I went all in on the GX. No regrets.

Just like the Milky Way commercial, NO REGERTS here either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom