Good Swap Idea? Mercedes OM642 Engine in FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
localcred.com
Hi all,

I currently have a '97 FZJ80 with a 1FZ-FE which is showing it's age.

If my goals with a OM642 diesel swap were:
1) Modest fuel economy gains
2) Modest performance gains

Would the OM642 be a good canidate to swap into my Landcruiser?

1FZ-FE rated at 212 Hp. & 275 Max ft. lbf of torque.
OM642 rated at 221 Hp. & 380 Max ft. lbf of torque.

I read that the OM642 was sold in America in the Jeep Grand Cherokee from 2005 through 2008. My thinking is that this should make the engine easier to find (and find parts for) than a 1-HZ which was never sold here. Agreed?

Thoughts on this kind of swap? I'm thinking this would be pretty good, especially with a manual trans.

Thanks,

Rich

IMO the 1HD T would be a much better swap and the ease of the swap would outweigh the ease of parts availabilty for the merc engine.
Parts availabilty for the 1HD T is just a phone call and credit card transaction and 4-5 business days away
The electronics on the Merc diesel would scare me,but have heard it is a good engine.

Also,

There weren't many of those JGC's sold in the US - they are pretty rare as it is. And good luck getting parts for a rare Mercedes-built diesel from Chrysler when Fiat takes over. I'd say the power gains are not worth the trouble with that engine.

-Phil

RichElliott,

At what RPM does the OM642 make its max torque figure? If it makes max torque near the same RPM as the gasser, then you have a little less to consider for the conversion. If they are different RPM ranges, then it will be helpful to know how you intend to use the vehicle: Road use can better use of a higher reving torque band. Off-roading can make best use of low RPM torque.

In my experience, OEM MB and Toyota parts are both expensive, about equal here. So I don't think longevity and maintenance expenses are issues that will impact your decision.

Probably the greatest consideration is the adaptation of the engine to the vehicle. You will be engineering, fabricating and customizing your rig for a while. The time and expense of conversion can consume you if you do not plan your work in advance.

BTW, is this the 5 cylinder motor used in Land Rover Defenders? If so, I have driven one and did not much like the drivability. I recommend you get a test drive of whatever you intend to implant into your car first, lest you waste a good chance on a diesel conversion.

Rick

No completely unrelated to the Defender engine. Its a very good engine and is fitted to most mercs over here from Sprinter vans to the S-class. A lot of taxis here run them in the e-class and many do over 300k miles with no issues. Even fitted to an S-class it pulls 0-60 in under 8 seconds so should move an 80 pretty well.

Pretty complicated electronics though I would imagine. Can see it being almost impossible to install. :frown:

Jamie

Adaptation

Adapting the engine to a 1993 A442 is your best option if you have a 1993. It was a bus transmission, the adaptation is pretty simple in mechanical terms. Drill the flex plate to accept the torque converter use which ever bell-housing is shorter and make an adaptor for the end. Any machinist can do this. Now the major trick is to get the engine and transmission to talk to each other wiring up all the little things, that is if you dont want any lights on inside and you want AC. I have been working for a few months trying to figure this out and with the complexity of the OM642 i have ceased my research and went back to the older 1984-1984 D300 diesel that is available reliable and has a much better chance of being adapted into a LC. Now if you want to forget the electronics and go with a manual transmission different transfer-case you have like a NP205 then you have a lot less to worry about.

Hi all,

I currently have a '97 FZJ80 with a 1FZ-FE which is showing it's age.

If my goals with a OM642 diesel swap were:
1) Modest fuel economy gains
2) Modest performance gains

Would the OM642 be a good canidate to swap into my Landcruiser?

1FZ-FE rated at 212 Hp. & 275 Max ft. lbf of torque.
OM642 rated at 221 Hp. & 380 Max ft. lbf of torque.

I read that the OM642 was sold in America in the Jeep Grand Cherokee from 2005 through 2008. My thinking is that this should make the engine easier to find (and find parts for) than a 1-HZ which was never sold here. Agreed?

Thoughts on this kind of swap? I'm thinking this would be pretty good, especially with a manual trans.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I'm curious if you ever made traction on this conversion. I'm researching diesel swaps for my 97 FZJ80, and the OM642 looks to have some great power numbers. I'm interested to hear your feedback.

Diesels i'm considering for the swap:
MB OM642
1HD-FTE
Cummins 5.0L V8
Duramax 2.8

-Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom