Newbie, finally got a 100 after about 10yrs of wanting one. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings house, I am delighted meeting great minds here and being here. I have always loved a 100 even when I knew I couldn't afford one. A neighbour of mine used his (1999) as a dd since 2003 he bought it and hardly had issues with it. The first time I tried buying it I ended up with a Acura mdx as I couldn't still afford one without rust. Today, by His grace, I am a proud owner of a Tlc. Considering how some roads here are in my country (Nigeria) and my profession (Architect) is, a 100 is best a workhorse for both. I got a one owner 1999 RHD imported into the country from Germany in 2003, carefully converted into RHD. Gold colour I didn't like so I had to change the colour. At the moment the a/c isn't working and the rear axle has a leak which I will be fixing soon. Apart from these, a very good buy for 165,000 km rig not miles at equivalent of $3,500 considering it has no rust underneath it or the body. Same grade overseas i see online varies from $13k. I swapped the 16" oem wheel to 18" tundra wheel and 285/60R18 Dunlop grandtrek. I also installed a DVD player, rear camera and rear sensors from Amazon. Interior is just oh k except the dash areas that were poorly finished during the conversion. I will be changing those later. A great ride since then

congrats on the purchase. You wouldn't happen to be a prince looking to invest in the US?

Welcome!

Congrats on the new ride, sounds like you got a great price. We would love to see pics when you get the chance.

Welcome!

Congrats on the new ride, sounds like you got a great price. We would love to see pics when you get the chance.
Many thanks...
20180115_170937.jpg
20180115_171004.jpg
20180115_171004.jpg

Welcome Klecci. Don’t be insulted by sammybones. It is very common in the USA to ask for pictures by saying “pic or it didn’t happen”. Most Americans would interpret it as a friendly joke, not questioning your honesty.

Cool looking truck, and interesting color, I don’t think I’ve seen that color here. We certainly don’t have the hood mirror!

While you are doing other maintenance make sure you change the heater tees. Many otherwise well maintained trucks have never had them changed.

Welcome!

While you are doing other maintenance make sure you change the heater tees. Many otherwise well maintained trucks have never had them changed.

Welcome!

Nice looking vehicle in its natural environment. Please do change the Ts. It is not that hard if you have a pair of clamp pliers and take off the engine cover.

Many thanks for your support. While trying to check how good or bad it is, I broke both. It's so delicate and I didn't know. I have improvised though till I lay my hands on a new one. Wouldn't be needing the heater for now.

20180124_165936.jpg

20180124_170046.jpg

Wow, they were ready to fail any moment!

Good to know. Many thanks.
Is there a way to know if the timing and water pump has been done aside having the records written down?
Say from minor inspection? I am bothered as the mileage says 166,000km?

I think you can remove and look under the timing cover without too much trouble and see the belt. I guess you could see if it looks brand new, or looks terrible, but often it is hard to tell, and often it is not the belt itself that fails first, but one of the bearings that you typically change at the same time as the belt.

If it were my truck, I'd change the timing belt/water pump, and oil for engine, front differential, rear differential, transfer case, check transmission fluid (is it clean and red? or more dirty brown?), grease drive-shaft u-joints and slip-joints. I would also jack up each wheel and try to shake wheel holding tire at 12 and 6 o'clock. If clunk or play, look more at your wheel bearings. Once those items were taken care of, I would drive with confidence.

I had great luck with this Aisin (OEM supplier, and top quality) kit that includes timing belt, water Pump, gaskets, tensioner, Idler Bearing, and Tensioner Bearing. It's is an amazing kit for the price, and very good quality. ~$175. http://amzn.to/2Dxc2JX

Some people like to change the cam seals and front crank seal at the same time, but I believe it is better to leave them alone until you notice them begin to leak.

Here is a good write up of the timing belt procedure if you do the work yourself, or you can refer your mechanic to it if they don't work on Land Cruisers too much. Timing Belt for Dummies writeup

Good luck!

I think you can remove and look under the timing cover without too much trouble and see the belt. I guess you could see if it looks brand new, or looks terrible, but often it is hard to tell, and often it is not the belt itself that fails first, but one of the bearings that you typically change at the same time as the belt.

If it were my truck, I'd change the timing belt/water pump, and oil for engine, front differential, rear differential, transfer case, check transmission fluid (is it clean and red? or more dirty brown?), grease drive-shaft u-joints and slip-joints. I would also jack up each wheel and try to shake wheel holding tire at 12 and 6 o'clock. If clunk or play, look more at your wheel bearings. Once those items were taken care of, I would drive with confidence.

I had great luck with this Aisin (OEM supplier, and top quality) kit that includes timing belt, water Pump, gaskets, tensioner, Idler Bearing, and Tensioner Bearing. It's is an amazing kit for the price, and very good quality. ~$175. http://amzn.to/2Dxc2JX

Some people like to change the cam seals and front crank seal at the same time, but I believe it is better to leave them alone until you notice them begin to leak.

Here is a good write up of the timing belt procedure if you do the work yourself, or you can refer your mechanic to it if they don't work on Land Cruisers too much. Timing Belt for Dummies writeup

Good luck!
Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom