Do I want an 80 series ? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought mine for the following reasons:
1. I love to learn
2. I prefer toyotas
3. I needed something capable to go where ever I wanted to go
3. i can sleep in the back
4. I wanted to take 4 people comfortably to the mountains
5. I wanted to take 2 additional people less comfortably to the mountains
6. At this age of the model there is always stuff you can improve and i am in to that sort of thing
7. I enjoy the build

I keep mine for all the above reasons plus:
1. it is a great ride
2. I have a tacoma for saving gas
3. i've become emotionally attached because of all the value it adds to my life.

LX450s are 80 series cruisers....I have one, and a good lx450 is better than a bad toyota(all conditions equal many would recommend going Toyota and I would agree). it has plastic body cadding that isn't everyone's preference, and if you want to remove it will require some body work. If you get one make sure there isn't evidence of rust under the cadding. on the flip side the center console is higher and you can rest your elbow while driving. Makes you feel more cool being able to rest your elbow, knowing you have slightly less storage there.

my .02

I had a '76 Wagoneer as my adventure/camp truck before my got my 80. The '76 was awesome, but it really makes me appreciate the 80 so much more due to its design/engineering.

An 80 is all about smiles per gallon.

I wanted an 80 for years. A divorce put my dream on hold. When I finally got one it totally exceeded my expectations. 2 years later and no regrets.

The reason not to is if you think it will be fast, or if it will be your daily and you have a very long commute and an excessive fuel bill will crush you.
I daily drive mine 70 miles minimum 5 days a week. A trip to the grocery store will put my over 100 miles. No regrets! :steer:

Only if you have a graceful SO/wife & you aren't putting into service as a commuter car.

Otherwise you'll be divorced & bitchin' about MPG if gas prices spike.
Gas is cheaper than a (ex)wife.

It's like dating a stripper, it's expensive, filled with high highs, and low lows, lots of drama and what ifs... yes it's worth it in spite of all the crazy.;)

No

Even if you get one in good condition and well cared for, it will still nickel-dime you to death.

What on wheels won't. My '93 has been amazing on my pocket overall. Lots of long distance trips and 330,000 miles. You want gold coin to death problems buy a plane..... now that's how to spend your spending money fast. Seriously though, I had an 85 Bronco that always had some problem so this LC has been a dream and I've had her for 24 years. It's still a firm ride, turning radius is great. Kids and dogs all piled in when needed and very comfortable in town or long hauls. I've done many trips to Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, Washington and all over Cailf with zero breakdowns. Only time it wouldn't start was recently in my driveway which proved to be a very tired coil and plug harness. Maybe I just got a good one but based upon lots of family trips, hunting and fishing, snow and heat I highly recommend them. You can load a lot of gear in them and still have room for comfort. If something happened to mine I'd be looking for a replacement the next day. With a forum like this you'll be making good decisions as to best way to seriously save on maintenance and repair as needed. Look for a good one and don't be afraid to spend 10,000 plus for a clean model. Good luck.

Have a 2001 Tundra that has been great too that is my farm truck.

The reasons not to are simply put by others on this thread. Just like the recent spike in the 60 series, I think the 80 is about to be the last collectible land cruiser because of it's bones. A stock 1997 will be worth some money someday, last year model with solid axle, full float rear axle, factory lockers, straight 6.

Tenn 80 is correct. Someday you'll say I could of had a good 80 for around 10 grand. I had a couple early '70's Ford Broncos that I sold for 2,000 for one and 2,200 for the other with zero rust and good overall condition. Those same two today would fetch me 50,000. I hunted and fished in those "ice box" Broncos a lot and I'm here to tell you my '93 LC blows doors on those Broncos even though they are the rage now. I expect the 80 Crusiers to move up if they have been well maintained of course but even if they stayed flat so what... great overall rig... Cheers!

No you don’t want one! If you do get one you will soon be singing some good ol’ country song about your wife left, your kids don’t talk to you and your dog died.....
I still have my dog... he is 11 now though

I daily drive mine 70 miles minimum 5 days a week. A trip to the grocery store will put my over 100 miles. No regrets! :steer:
You must be rich or maybe you got the model that drops three cylinders during periods of cruise and you get 25mpg. I have two trucks to choose from everyday and since the 7000# Cummins burns considerably less fuel, it does duty more often by double.

To @Whiskerz, simple fact that you brought your question to complete strangers whom you will probably never meet in person, I’m guessing you are hesitant to buy because you know you can’t really afford it due to the fact you like eating and living under a roof.

If I’m wrong then buy the best 80 you can find unless you enjoy vehicle restorstion. The 80 is actually built for the mechanic, in my opinion, fun and easy to work on.

Last edited:
I hate the gas mileage but that's about it. Nothing is built like the 80 though. Be prepared to wrench if you are gonna base line. About to get some Eton E lockers front and rear on mine.

You must be rich or maybe you got the model that drops three cylinders during periods of cruise and you get 25mpg. I have two trucks to choose from everyday and since the 7000# Cummins burns considerably less fuel, it does duty more often by double.
Not rich, just single for a few more months. Kibble isn't that expensive for the dog and the son knows that if he asks for money I'll just drop him off at the recruiter's office. I used to DD the DL650 (55mpg) but since my head on collision with the drunk driver while in my GX i've been more apprehensive about two wheels. Something about getting older and not being invincible... That said, there's a reason I'm driving the second 80 series I've owned and not a 100, 120, of 150 series. There's nothing like it available, even if the MPG isn't as great at a new truck's... show me a large SUV from the mid 90's that was. Hell, show me a TOYOTA mid or full size suv/truck that has gotten great mileage.

You can't out run a Porsche
You can't out handle a Miata
You can't out top down a Jeep
You can't out pull a 1-ton diesel
You can't impress the girls like an exotic
You can't keep money in your wallet
You can't rely on a warranty

There are many reasons not to. But do any of those reasons apply to you? We really don't know with less than 1 sentence original post.

If you wait any longer.....

You’ll WISH you bought one.

The longer you wait the harder they’ll be to find one that you’ll want to put your time,energy and ehhem hard earned money into. You can brake the bank now and buy one already fixed up, which to me is the best route unless your already talented with your skills on working on one and will be the best route as you won’t have to pay other people to build/work on it.

I have one that will be my keeper for a very long time (had a total of 8 in my lifetime) and is waiting for me to build her up as she’s been with me so far for the last 2 years under a car cover.

• Tennessee80 wrote, A stock 1997 will be worth some money someday, last year model with solid axle, full float rear axle, factory lockers, straight 6.

• Just as an FYI, 1997 was the last year the 80 series Land Cruiser was made in Japan, and imported into the United States market, but the country of Venezuela continued producing 80 series Land Cruisers till the end of 2008. That's a good thing too, it kept OEM parts manufacturers producing replacement parts for these trucks longer then they would have, if production had completely ended in 1997.

Where about you located in Ga? Yes it can be a bit underpowered and get terrible fuel mileage but I truest believe these are some of the best built 4wd vehicles you can in the US. Buy the best rig your wallet can afford, Drive her around and figure how far you want to go with maintenance if you have any to do. Besides the pesky heater hose and head gasket (common but not common), not much goes wrong on an 80.

As far as the Lexus vs LC.. I was originally looking for a 97 Collectors or Anniversary and found that LX450s were normally in better shape. Besides extra sound deadening and wood trim, not much different about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom