Leaky Roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rig: 1978 FJ 40 2F

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look to identify where water is leaking into my head liner? All around the front driver and passenger side near the doors and the front windshield is damp during a heavy rain. It is only on the sides. I have inspected the exterior roof line and I have no cracks or holes where water would be leaking so I am speculating the water is wicking around the exterior and up under the roof line.

I recently learned there is a single piece of weather stripping across the front of my FJ40 (on the top of the windshield where it meets the roof line) which makes me wonder if there is a much longer piece of weather stripping that goes around the rest of the roof.

Anyone have any experience with where leaks are common and areas I should inspect more closely?

One piece of weatherstrip that goes on top of the windshield frame, two smaller pieces which go on the edges and then there is the long "U" shaped weatherstrip that goes around the hard top between the sides, hatch header and rain gutter. All of that is available. CityracerLLC has most and SOR has some also. Just completed a rehab of a hard top so I purchased most from Roger.

One piece of weatherstrip that goes on top of the windshield frame, two smaller pieces which go on the edges and then there is the long "U" shaped weatherstrip that goes around the hard top between the sides, hatch header and rain gutter. All of that is available. CityracerLLC has most and SOR has some also. Just completed a rehab of a hard top so I purchased most from Roger.

Thanks. Did that solve your leaky roof issues? So essentially my symptoms are indicative of weatherstripping which needs to be replaced?

Since I bought the hard top from another MUD member, I had no idea if it had leak issues or not. The rain gutter was rusted badly in the rear corners and the header was toast. Since the rain gutter was in such lousy shape it was replaced with one from CCOT. Took them 12 weeks to get it to me. The biggest problem was the dry rotted window weather strip seals which allowed a lot of water to get inside the bottom corners and rot them badly. The leaking header also allowed a lot of water to get inside the tailgate, the bottom of which looked like lace all the way across. I purchased a new weather strip for over the windshield frame since I didn't have one. So far, I have only sprayed water on the top for washing and the only leaks I found were on the door wind wings.

If you are going to go to the trouble of taking the top off and chasing down leaks, I would strongly recommend inspecting all the weather striping while you are working on it. Having to go back in to replace something you missed the first time can be difficult and time consuming. Besides, the weather strip isn't that expensive especially considering the time involved to replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom