Pinion guard / skid plate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also pinion gaurd part is cool but adding all that crap off the bottom of the housing is less clearance and more likely to get diffd out. I'd rather have to deal with the chewed up studs than give up that clearance, personally.

Been playing with one based off these items. It would require a U-bolt nose support plate and then 4 bolts on the housing.

All laser cut and CNC bent with a little welding. Thinking 1/4 or 3/8 material.

J

d2diffguard3L.jpg

slidergaurd2L.jpg

diff-guard-green-500x500.jpg

Very cool. I'd love to test a prototype. I think 3/8" in this case is better as long as it sits tight against the diff. Don't mind losing a bit of clearance if it means saving the drivetrain.

Very cool. I'd love to test a prototype. I think 3/8" in this case is better as long as it sits tight against the diff. Don't mind losing a bit of clearance if it means saving the drivetrain.

J, It will be after the move before I get these finalized. Sept/Oct time frame.

J

I have a Harris Hardcase protecting my front diff, but Mal Harris doesn't make anything that I know of for the rear diff. Would be very handy to have though.

http://www.hardcase4x4.com.au/

And those allen-key drain plugs would be the bees knees for 80 diff housings. Where do they come from?

I have a Harris Hardcase protecting my front diff, but Mal Harris doesn't make anything that I know of for the rear diff. Would be very handy to have though.

Hardcase 4x4

And those allen-key drain plugs would be the bees knees for 80 diff housings. Where do they come from?

Marlin Crawler has them, and a few other places as well. I know the ones from Marlin are magnetic as well. Let's see if the link works, if it doesn't get you eight to them, they're under differential parts. $5/ea isn't bad either, and they work on the t-case as well.

Low Profile Magnetic Drain Plug (Steel Gasket) | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Been playing with one based off these items. It would require a U-bolt nose support plate and then 4 bolts on the housing.

All laser cut and CNC bent with a little welding. Thinking 1/4 or 3/8 material.

J

d2diffguard3L.jpg

slidergaurd2L.jpg

diff-guard-green-500x500.jpg
that's a really cool start, but you would need a big hole in the back to miss all the Brake linkage stuff.
Maybe another inch longer to cover the rear U-joint too. Definitely 3/8" Steel. Aluminum would just bend in like tin foil with all that dead weight on it. Might be cool to weld on the bottom plate right to the diff, and then countersink some bolts to the added plate to hold the pinion part onto that. Then the trail removal would only have to be the front piece and not the whole back as well.

J, It will be after the move before I get these finalized. Sept/Oct time frame.

J
did you ever go hot with these? Im in need man

I still need to finish it up. We were going to move and then life/health happened.... Now we are looking to move again... so I'm in scale back mode again.

Not yet....

J
Bump...

I'm interested in this, too.

bump again

Looks like I'll be acquiring a R&D vehicle in the next 2 weeks and then I will have a dedicated build model for new Trail Tailor items.

Bumpers, racks, sliders, skids, suspensions etc...

We are finally moved to Redding and now its just getting everything set back up to start production and R&D for new products for the 80 series.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom