Steering Box Input Shaft Seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My steering gear box is leaking the inputshaft (where the steering shaft goes into the box).
I got the steering shaft off the gear box (it was well rusted and stuck). It doesn't look like I can replace the seal without removing the gear box, can I?

What is involved to replace that seal? Can I just remove the rear housing or do I have to take the complete box apart?

Kurt--you have to at least take the power head/input section off to replace the input seal.

I wouldn't do this with the box on the rig. It's only two port connections and 4 bolts to get it off....

You do have the FSM right? FSM has the correct assembly of this section.

I have the FSM, but IT looks soooo tempting to just pull the cover off...

I am not sure if I want to take on the rebuild of the steering gear box.
Are there any long term problems with just leaving it leak? Do they blow out or just leak?

I have found a couple places that have rebuilt ones but they are $500.

those teflon seals are pretty tricky to put 'em on again .. I will pull the box and taje my time to do if where my case ..

They will continue leaking more and more .. you decide when you are tired of refill your PS fluid ..

Went to Safari in Grand Junction and they said they can replace the input seal. They ordered just the input seal from Toyota and will charge 1hr to put the seal in.
I will pull the box and have them do it.

I thought you had to buy the whole $$$ rebuild kit for the steering box???

Safari said they don't rebuild them, they just replace the input seal. They must of figured out how to do it without taking the whole thing apart.

I got the box off the 80. Unless there is a write up on how to replace the seal I will just have a shop replace the seal.
Any idea on why Toyota didn't include the seal as part of the rebuild?
Is the seal and directions on any of the newer FSM's?

Is the directions in any of the other Land Cruiser repair manuals?

I also thought the seal was only available as part of the rebuild kit. I'd be interested to know what they charge you for just the seal. I plan on rebuilding the steering gear box and power steering pump this spring.

So the seal does come with the kit?
I was there when the guy called in the part and all he did was ask for that part and they said it would take several days to get it.

Yes, the seal comes with the kit. The question is whether you really get just the seal. If so, what's the part number and price.

Went to get the seal and have it installed. They thought it was the output seal that needed replaced.

They looked at the Toyota schematics and the seal is not shown as part of the seal kit.
I am thinking that the seal is unserviceable.

Anyone actually get the seal replaced?

Is the input shaft machined on so that it can't come off?

What know, do I run Lucas at 100% so not to have a leak?

I ran some Lucas (power steering) in mine and it slowed the leak down considerably.

The container says you can use 100%. I don't know if I'd trust using that much. I'll use up to 50% though.

I am in the middle of a rebuild and hydro assist but can't get the dumb thing off the input shaft. How did you do it? I almost went to a BFH but the rational part of my brain said stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom