Snorkel options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check valves... not sure how this would reliably work. Can't be a gravity check or the suction of the intake could open it under throttle modulation and run the risk of sucking in water, the exact opposite of what you want. OTOH, if it were a spring check the spring sizing would need to be a balance between opening under a water column yet not opening under suction or vibration. Probably the best option woudl be a manual valve or a 12V solenoid valve if reaching the manual valve was difficult. One could always run clear tubing out the bottom to a visible location along the fenderwell to serve as a sight glass. Just don't trap the liquid. And passing out of the filter housing would also require a bulkhed fitting, that itself would create a lip trapping some kind of puddle at the base.

Too bad there isn't a rubber nipple like on the cyclonic intake that came with the round Austrailian filter housings...

Last edited:
Check valves... not sure how this would reliably work. Can't be a gravity check or the suction of the intake could open it under throttle modulation and run the risk of sucking in water, the exact opposite of what you want. OTOH, if it were a spring check the spring sizing would need to be a balance between opening under a water column yet not opening under suction or vibration. Probably the best option woudl be a manual valve or a 12V solenoid valve if reaching the manual valve was difficult. One could always run clear tubing out the bottom to a visible location along the fenderwell to serve as a sight glass. Just don't trap the liquid. And passing out of the filter housing woudl also require a bulkhed fitting, that itself would create a lip trapping some kind of puddle at the base.

Too bad there isn't a rubber nipple like on the cyclonic intake that came with the round Austrailian filter housings...

I have seen a manual valve on the air box a snorkel-equipped JK. It seemed to work well.

TJM definitely looks "different." Personally, I think it looks a little odd...like a melted Safari snorkel.

Your tastes and mileage may vary... I know some like it.
It appears that one can't reverse the intake in snow, so I'm wondering what should happen there with build-up.

Have a look and you decide:

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 4.26.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 4.27.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 4.27.03 PM.png

TJM definitely looks "different." Personally, I think it looks a little odd...like a melted Safari snorkel.

Your tastes and mileage may vary... I know some like it.
It appears that one can't reverse the intake in snow, so I'm wondering what should happen there with build-up.

Have a look and you decide:

View attachment 1615947 View attachment 1615945 View attachment 1615946
Good point on the snow/ice build up @Markuson. With the intake direction to the side I don’t think it will be an issue while driving. It will definitely be an issue if the truck is parked outside in the elements. I doubt there are any 200 owners on here running a TJM snorkel in snow country. If so, any feedback would be appreciated

Good point on the snow/ice build up @Markuson. It will definitely be an issue if the truck is parked outside in the elements. I doubt there are any 200 owners on here running a TJM snorkel in snow country. If so, any feedback would be appreciated

It’s a non-issue, I had a TJM on my 100 series for 4 Utah winters and went through automatic car washes and never had a problem. Also plenty of guys in Europe running them.

It’s a non-issue, I had a TJM on my 100 series for 4 Utah winters and went through automatic car washes and never had a problem. Also plenty of guys in Europe running them.

Thanks. Just wondered.

The snorkel is pretty solid on the truck. I’ve driven several fire roads- don’t push the truck and avoid scratches anyway- more worried about that then damaging the snorkel.

I went through a New Mexico winter storm and my (ARB) snorkel head blocked up with ice. I was stopping and going and I think the freezing rain, combined with wind made it happen.

Either way, once I broke the ice out of the head, I turned it around and was fine. If I had a TJM, I wouldn’t of even been able to take the head off and pick the ice out.

That experience has left me a little apprehensive, yet it does take pretty specific set of conditions to make it happen.

Last edited:
I went through a New Mexico winter storm and my (ARB) snorkel head blocked up with ice. I was stopping and going and I think the freezing rain, combined with wind made it happen.

Either way, once I broke the ice out of the head, I turned it around and was fine. If I had a TJM, I wouldn’t of even been able to take the head off and pick the ice out.

That experience has left me a little apprehensive, yet it does take pretty specific set of conditions to make it happen.

That is what I was Imagining as a possibility with the TM but was not speaking from experience. Would definitely prefer the ability to reverse the intake...

I put on a generic ‘Tjm’. It looks similar to the later pictures. didn’t come with the large sticky gaskets pictures, those would have been useful. It works fine and looks fine. I think a brand name kit gets you support and a warranty.

ARB-SS88HPE this version is for the 5.7 and provides more airflow. this is the only option I personally would go with due to flow.... ARMAX for 5.7

I have the TJM. Be prepared to wait for it. Originally ordered from Andy's Autosport and they cancelled my order after waiting 3-4 months. Ordered from another vendor and waited another 3 months but it finally arrived. Love the snorkel. No wind noise at any speed and makes a nice little extra growl on WOT.

I have the TJM. Be prepared to wait for it. Originally ordered from Andy's Autosport and they cancelled my order after waiting 3-4 months. Ordered from another vendor and waited another 3 months but it finally arrived. Love the snorkel. No wind noise at any speed and makes a nice little extra growl on WOT.
Several vendors have the TJM snorkel in stock including TJM USA

Several vendors have the TJM snorkel in stock including TJM USA

Good luck with that. Tons of vendors, including TJM USA show them in stock. When you purchase it's another story. If you find someone actually stocking them awesome, but it has not been my experience, or the experience of many others who actually purchased this snorkel, that anyone seems to truly stock them in the USA including TJM USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom