Anyone put a Webasto or Espar in an FJ60 (2F)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any experience putting a Webasto or Espar in an FJ60? I’ve seen quite a few threads about installing these heaters in the various diesel 60 variants, but none with the gas engine. Any thoughts ? Do Espar or Webasto even make one that would go with the 2f ?

They do have the Webasto STC2000 for gasoline run vehicles... but at $1500 (twice as much as a diesel version) for the kit it is too expensive for most of us...

They do have the Webasto STC2000 for gasoline run vehicles... but at $1500 (twice as much as a diesel version) for the kit it is too expensive for most of us...

Does the webasto for small cars, like the STC2000, "plug in" to the coolant line and just continue the heating of the car via the heater core and vents or is it a totally seperate heater and ducting system ?

I think this particular heater is just to heat the cabin, and not the engine..

I think this particular heater is just to heat the cabin, and not the engine..
OK, so it basically needs an entire ventilation system that feeds from it independent of the stock engine coolant-based heater system ?

The type that "plugs" into the engine coolant system appealed to me simply because it sounded as if no manipulation of the stock ventilation system was needed. Oh well I guess I'll have to think of another solution.

I'm sure there is a model that does just that (heat the engine and perhaps the cabin too ) ... might want to contact the manufacturer...and ask away..

I was reading about a guy that put a diesel powered heater in one of those fancy aluminum boxes for his RTT, he mounted it on a mount he built for the top of his spare tire carrier. It had its own tank for fuel and just put the air in and air out hoses into his tent. No reason you couldn’t figure out a way to put it in one rear window and out the other side. Make some hose holder you roll up in the window.

I put a Webasto in a 60 with a 12HT diesel. Gas engines can be pre heated with a block heater pretty
effectively. Are you isolated? Unable to plug in the block heater?

I put a 1500W forced circulation heater in mine, pumps coolant into the heater core. Heats up at 0F ambient to 140F coolant temps in about and hour or so. Draw back is the rear heater must be closed, with the main wide open. If you forget, it will not circulate.

I have warm air out of the vents in about 6 blocks, starts like a warm summer day.

Disclaimer: I work for the engine heater manufacturer, and get returned heaters for free. List is about $350 or so. Not trying to sell any.

I put a Webasto in a 60 with a 12HT diesel. Gas engines can be pre heated with a block heater pretty
effectively. Are you isolated? Unable to plug in the block heater?

The purpose of my asking about a Webasto was not for the concern ofkeeping the engine warm, it was to keep me warm while sleeping in the FJ60 overnight camping without having CO issues as portable propane heaters would do.

I am not isolated where I live, I can plug in some heater for the engine if I had to. Again this heater is for the purpose of keeping me warm while camping.

I put a 1500W forced circulation heater in mine, pumps coolant into the heater core. Heats up at 0F ambient to 140F coolant temps in about and hour or so. Draw back is the rear heater must be closed, with the main wide open. If you forget, it will not circulate.

I have warm air out of the vents in about 6 blocks, starts like a warm summer day.

Disclaimer: I work for the engine heater manufacturer, and get returned heaters for free. List is about $350 or so. Not trying to sell any.

Can you point to these heaters. This sounds exactly like what I want, an auxiliary external coolant-based (as opposed to forced air vented) heater.

The purpose of my asking about a Webasto was not for the concern ofkeeping the engine warm, it was to keep me warm while sleeping in the FJ60 overnight camping without having CO issues as portable propane heaters would do.

I am not isolated where I live, I can plug in some heater for the engine if I had to. Again this heater is for the purpose of keeping me warm while camping.

Then a coolant heater isn't the right thing. They make an AirTop2000 I think, but I've read reports of people up north camping
in -20C and being baked by the heat that comes out.

Then a coolant heater isn't the right thing. They make an AirTop2000 I think, but I've read reports of people up north camping
in -20C and being baked by the heat that comes out.
I thought the purpose of the coolant heater was to both keep the heater warm and the cabin warm with the engine off and without needing to put in new duct work in the truck ? Did I miss the point here ?

I thought the purpose of the coolant heater was to both keep the heater warm and the cabin warm with the engine off and without needing to put in new duct work in the truck ? Did I miss the point here ?

It's residual heat through the heater core, correct - and if you have a fan running ( battery killer ) unless it's a really low draw fan it
doesn't add a whole lot to the interior. When it's installed and being used the heater in the truck must be set to HOT so that the
firewall valve is open to permit the coolant to flow through the heater lines.
I've never left my Webasto to run all night, although technically it has essentially the same electrical draw as a 12V Danfoss condenser
fridge, so battery isn't effected by the webasto itself.

Just thought I would add some information to this older thread. Webasto circulating heaters, when equipped, will run the cabin fan. But only at a very low speed. Our 2015 GMC work trucks were set up this way. What I would suggest is the Airtop 2000, these units are capable of cooking you out of your cabin if you set the temp too high. We were recently in some -50°F weather and that Airtop kept our work box @ 60°F no problem.
One last thing, @DieselOx I would be interested in these 1500 watt heaters you deal with.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom