1HZ install into a 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been folowing your projects and find the thresds very interesting.

I am a great fan of diesel engines and I own a 1984 FJ40. I swaped a 1HZ(with the orginal 70 Series Trany) for a 2F.

I am curious to know what wheight advantage you can get from a fiber glass body as compared to a conventional Steel.

Following are the pics of my HZJ 40 engine bay.

Take Care

Red Bat.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg

looks real clean, nice job.
no advantage weight wise since the fiberglass actually weighs more. (read thick)
the advantage is quieter, warmer, stronger, never rust.

looks real clean, nice job.
no advantage weight wise since the fiberglass actually weighs more. (read thick)
the advantage is quieter, warmer, stronger, never rust.

and good rust free bodies and panels are just about non existant.

I have been folowing your projects and find the thresds very interesting.

I am a great fan of diesel engines and I own a 1984 FJ40. I swaped a 1HZ(with the orginal 70 Series Trany) for a 2F.

I am curious to know what wheight advantage you can get from a fiber glass body as compared to a conventional Steel.

Following are the pics of my HZJ 40 engine bay.

Take Care

Whats the 40 go like with a non turboed 1HZ?
My 73 series was quite nippy for a N/A diesel when I had 32 in tyres and I think the 40 is a hundred or so kgs lighter.
Nice looking conversion,the 1HZ really is one the best bangs for buck.

Whats the 40 go like with a non turboed 1HZ?
My 73 series was quite nippy for a N/A diesel when I had 32 in tyres and I think the 40 is a hundred or so kgs lighter.
Nice looking conversion,the 1HZ really is one the best bangs for buck.

It is great. Though I think my 1HZ came out of a HZJ79. That is what I think, coz gearing seems to be on the lower side. But the engine is in a great nick. It is very nippy and occasionally I do surprise people in traffic signal drags.

The best part is the fuel consumption. On motorways it returns around 11 Km?Liter, which comes out to be 25mpg.

P.S I am running 31/10.50/15s

It is great. Though I think my 1HZ came out of a HZJ79. That is what I think, coz gearing seems to be on the lower side. But the engine is in a great nick. It is very nippy and occasionally I do surprise people in traffic signal drags.

The best part is the fuel consumption. On motorways it returns around 11 Km?Liter, which comes out to be 25mpg.

P.S I am running 31/10.50/15s

Do you have a H55f or a R151f gearbox? In any case the gearing would be almost the same. It the 31 in tyres that are giving you the low geared feeling. I think the early and later 1HZ have a different timing belt ,so you need to know which one you have before changing it

Man I have been reading this thread from start to finish, what a mission!!!!!!

Otter , I feel for you man , what a crock of s*** to fork out a lot of money and end up with something that is ( forget about flaws for a sec ) but unfinished !!

And why is everyone crawling up Wayne's backside mr I'll take your money, it rectify anything and give 1000 excuses . Dancing around incompatance like pole dancers .

Far out man,

Had to be said as this thread killed my life. !!

Wayne…I've read this build previously, and was amazed at the time of the attention to detail. Now that I am contemplating a project like this of my own, I can't help but be even more impressed reading through it again recently, this time with more focus on the details in hope of making this as easy as possible to do myself.

Question: Would the 1HZ fit into a 4* LHD with the 4* PS box? I couldn't find anywhere on this thread a reason why the 60 series PS box was used other than perhaps that is what the truck came with when it was purchased at the start of the build.

Cheers

the original truck was LHD.
the starter and the steering box/mount wants to share the same space.
plus, the 60 series box is a REALLY nice upgrade.

hand formed rear brake line
60 series water seperator to clear any contaminates before hitting the fuel feed pump, this will have a warning light mounted to the dash.
the 12V feeder pump which supplies pressurized fuel to the injection pump, the improves starts and acceleration...

Where do I source is this 12v feeder pump from?

It doesn't do anything except cover up faults such as air leaks and worn out injection pumps feeds. All my diesels have started instantaneously without it.
You can not "pressurise" the fuel for better starts, its nonsense. Any extra pressure on the low pressure side of the pump means the bypass valve will open and send it back to the tank. If you did add pressure to the low pressure side, the pump would eventually leak like a sieve.
The pressure on the injection side is 4000-5000psi at the injectors, a little 7psi pump on the fuel line will not make any difference. And in any case, its the adjustment or shimming of the injector that regulates cracking pressure at the nozzles.
Injection pumps typically use only a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the fuel that enters the pump. The excess is recycled back to the tank or filter depending on the type of pump. It hardly needs more fuel.

Walbro FRB-5

It doesn't do anything except cover up faults such as air leaks and worn out injection pumps feeds. All my diesels have started instantaneously without it.
You can not "pressurise" the fuel for better starts, its nonsense. Any extra pressure on the low pressure side of the pump means the bypass valve will open and send it back to the tank. If you did add pressure to the low pressure side, the pump would eventually leak like a sieve.
The pressure on the injection side is 4000-5000psi at the injectors, a little 7psi pump on the fuel line will not make any difference. And in any case, its the adjustment or shimming of the injector that regulates cracking pressure at the nozzles.
Injection pumps typically use only a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the fuel that enters the pump. The excess is recycled back to the tank or filter depending on the type of pump. It hardly needs more fuel.

There's two camps. Read through the discussion in these two links, do some more searches with "walbro" and/or "pusher pump" on this site and in google (add 1HD-T and 1HD-FT) and decide for yourself. We can agree to disagree and present our thoughts so readers can decide for themselves. Personally, I do run one.

Electric fuel pumps on diesel Injection Pumps

Euro 1HD-FT Turbo Diesel/H151F 5 Speed Manual LHD 96' USA Swap

hth's
gb

Basically its about whether you understand the operation of a Denso rotary pump. I also consulted someone who rebuilds more 1HZ 1HD T landcruiser injection pumps in a month than there are in North America. He looked at me like he was talking to Simple Jack.

You can not force more volume into a pump to make the engine go faster, period.

If you have 2/3 of the fuel going into the pump being sent back to the tank, how is adding more fuel going to make it "run smoother" "give more power" "start easier" ?
If it makes a difference, it is covering up an existing problem. However ,the feed pumps on Denso rotary pumps are long lasting and usually outlast the high pressure side. Only moisture left sitting in the feed pump kills them by corrosion which pits the surface.
It is up to owners to do and believe what they want, but its also good to know what's necessary and what's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom