Bolt on turbo kit (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That snail is huge! I thought it'd be smaller. What RPM are you expecting full boost at?

A speeding ticket in an 80! Ha!

@scottryana, this thing is looking awesome. Thanks for working on this. I’m going to be looking at that pic today.

Shop deleting the egr?

It's really not that big it is only a 62mm. You really can't go much smaller.

That snail is huge! I thought it'd be smaller. What RPM are you expecting full boost at?

Very similar turbo on mine spooled anywhere from 1700 to 2300 depending on driving conditions, throttle input, etc.

That picture looks so much better on my computer monitor vs. my phone. Awesome.

Shop deleting the egr?

The EGR bits are all on the other side of the engine, so I'd imagine you could run with or without them...?

Unless you're talking about the PAIR system on your 94... That's a whole different :worms:. The OBDII trucks that this kit is designed for don't have that system.

The EGR bits are all on the other side of the engine, so I'd imagine you could run with or without them...?

Unless you're talking about the PAIR system on your 94... That's a whole different :worms:. The OBDII trucks that this kit is designed for don't have that system.
This would go on the 97. I was just curious for emission checking.

My understanding of the EGR is that it should still work since the stock rear exhaust manifold is kept in place. There is a port in the cyl 6 casting that routes exhaust to the EGR.

Yep spot on, there is no reason to disable the EGR, unless the person wants to and then that would be on them. For informational purposes I do not run EGR on my personal truck but some people like it.

My understanding of the EGR is that it should still work since the stock rear exhaust manifold is kept in place. There is a port in the cyl 6 casting that routes exhaust to the EGR.

"Please, Sir, only pay attention to the RIGHT side of the engine bay. My EGR is right there. There's nothing of concern on the left side, I assure you."
Playing this game is a PITA, but it's the game that we play. TX inspection isn't as bad as yours.

Pretty tight squeeze with the Air Compressor but still around 1/2” between the coupler and compressor. I know it seems silly to stress over all the little add-ons people might have but it was very important. The 80 market is pretty small so getting this kit to work with a majority of the mods people might already have was important to all of us so that EVERYONE could enjoy the turbo without having to choose between a mod they already have and the turbo they want. :)

Turbo placement is good and done, wastegate placement is done, flanges came back from the machine shop perfect and are ready to be laser/water cut, J-pipe is done and jigged.

Next steps, drop it in the truck, route the intake from the stock air box to the silicon elbow and do up the downpipe. Then it’s get a drawing to the intercooler fabricator and all of the heavy lifting is done! Hoses are done, oil drain bung and cap are done, etc. I am very glad they decided to work hard to keep the stock air box for all the users with snorkels, you can never have too much rollover protection.

Thanks for hanging in there everyone.
View attachment 1617786

PURE SEX APPEAL>>>>>>

Panty dropper.

The 1FZ has always been badass. You are way late to the show.

Any engine designed to be bored over and rebuilt 3 times at 300k mile intervals is definitely badass. We'll probably never see that again in a modern consumer automobile.

The 1FZ has always been badass. You are way late to the show.
This is true. Late to the 80 party.

Since I have a supercharger I have some experience with that and see the limitations. I like the no-belt turbo idea more all the time.

This is true. Late to the 80 party.

Since I have a supercharger I have some experience with that and see the limitations. I like the no-belt turbo idea more all the time.

I'm late to the party as well. I know next to nothing about the 80 series but I should hopefully remedy that this weekend when I get my first. I think after maybe going over the head gasket with Robbie, this will be my big spend item.

I'm just curious if I get the bug for more power later, how much of the stage one parts could be used for a 400ish hp truck? If a new turbo would be in order or what. I know the whole injector, computer, fuel pump is the limiter you have to get past, just don't want to have to buy some of these parts more than once to bump it to the next level if I decide to.

Anywho, can't wait to dive into this stuff once I get to know my truck some.

If you wanted to later on, you could add new fuel injectors, new fuel pump, and a stand alone ECU and all of the components of this kit (Turbo, j-pipe, wastegate, hose and lines, intercooler, heat exchanger) would be good for 500+ crank hp. This turbo is rated at 78lbs/min which is about 750hp so you do not have to worry about running out of Turbo.

I'm late to the party as well. I know next to nothing about the 80 series but I should hopefully remedy that this weekend when I get my first. I think after maybe going over the head gasket with Robbie, this will be my big spend item.

I'm just curious if I get the bug for more power later, how much of the stage one parts could be used for a 400ish hp truck? If a new turbo would be in order or what. I know the whole injector, computer, fuel pump is the limiter you have to get past, just don't want to have to buy some of these parts more than once to bump it to the next level if I decide to.

Anywho, can't wait to dive into this stuff once I get to know my truck some.

subbed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom