Builds Caitlyn the 2nd Gen 4Runner-ish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much did you spend??? $$$

Thats no fun

Wow, it has been a while since I have updated this... Sorry! I got a bit distracted with my wife's 5th Gen 4Runner and spent a bunch of time on that (Icon suspension, LabRak roof rack, new Freespirit Recreation RTT, 285 Duratracs, etc.), but I did get some time in the garage with Caitlyn. Nothing really pic worthy, but she is coming along. I got most of the wiring figured out. The downside of taking over someone else's project is once I fix one thing, I find three more things to fix. I really wanted to snow wheel her, but I don't thing that is going to happen. I have made the decision that I'm going to do it right instead of piecing it together just to pull it all apart. I will try to do better with updates, but looking at pretty taped wires makes for a boring picture. LOL!

I got to work on Caitlyn a bit yesterday. There is still so much to do, but I'm progressing slowly. I just need to make it more of a priority to get out in the garage and work on her!

I finished wrapping up the wiring in the engine compartment.
20180107_145456.jpg

Then I moved on to the front core support. With all of the cutting, the bottom was only supported by the radiator. I could see this being an issue! LOL. So I broke out the CAD (Cardboard Assisted Design):
20180107_145421.jpg

And quickly realized my welding is way out of practice... (Fail). Oh well, good enough for this purpose.
20180107_164245.jpg

The last thing I managed to do was cut the wings off the front bumper. They were not symmetrical and there was no way to heat and bend them to make them look right. This was not the route I wanted to go, but it will be easiest and look the best in the long run.

Last edited:
This weekend some buddies of mine are coming up to go camping and wheeling, so I have been busting my butt to get Caitlyn wheelable. I still have quite a bit to do before Friday and it will in no means be finished, but I should have it buttoned up enough to go play and see what else needs to be done. I was able to button up the wiring and bolt back on the front clip.

IMG_20180116_222504_408.jpg

The brakes have been sorted and bled, so it should stop. LOL! I have been mostly working on the exhaust. The PO had it coming from the crossover pipe, to an O2 bung, then a long pipe, another O2 bung, the cat, muffler, and tail pipe. I figured I could just make two cuts, flip the cat around, and set it up correctly.

IMG_20180120_192718_154.jpg

I measured it by eyeballing and figured I had just enough space for the cat. Well, I may have been a bit wrong. It is TIGHT! I ended up putting heat shielding around the wires and on the body trying to protect everything. I also exhaust wrapped the cat and piping under the floor. It ended up being so tight that the cat is touching the floor and the pipe is touching the crossmember. Like I said, it is stupid tight. I’m going to try it and hopefully not have to redo this exhaust.

IMG_20180123_105818_493.jpg

I still need to build the muffler/tailpipe section, install the front driveshaft, clearance a link mount, build (jerry-rig) a coolant overflow bottle, secure the main chassis wiring harness under the truck, fill up the front diff, install the winch, and change the oil. I have two evenings to get it done…

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I got Caitlyn "done" Thursday for wheeling. I took her for a test drive before packing and made it five blocks before the rear end locked up at 40 mph. I ended up in the median about 5' from a lamp post just before rush hour traffic. I honestly thought that it was going to roll when she went into the median sideways. It was probably the scariest driving experience in my life, and I've had some good ones!

Long of the short of it is I got her back in the garage and haven't even pulled the cover. I'm pretty upset about the whole deal, but it is what it is. Now I just need to find the $$ to get back working on her.

I was able to get out of town, get my head right, and put a plan together (thanks to awesome friends and an understanding wife). The plan is to have the truck ready for Rubithon 2018!

27072620_10156157056523658_1153626609016115863_n.jpg

This pic was taken while I was warming Caitlyn up for her first test drive. I was upset enough that I just got her back home and parked her. Last Saturday I figured it was time to pull the inspection cover and see just how bad the damage was. This is what I saw:

IMG_20180203_143758_316.jpg

Yep, not a drop of lube. I ran on the assumption that the PO would have filled it, but I never checked myself. That is my own stupidity. However, there are no metal shavings and no heat marks on the gears. All the teeth on the r&p loop perfect. I think I just seized the pinion bearing! Talk about the best possible outcome of a bad situation... I am blessed! I am going to order a Detroit and a master install kit to rebuild the rear-end. Speaking of which, does anyone know how to set up gears that would be willing to come over and help me? I have helped with setting up Toyota 3rds before, but that was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Luck is right!!

Doesn't look like a welded carrier unless there's a few spot welds on the bottom spider I can't see in the pic :lol:

Carl at JustDifferentials.com hooked me up with everything I need to get the rear end back together. I can't speak highly enough of Carl and his business. JustDifferentials.com and Nitro Gear are the s***! As soon as I get the parts, I will be scheduling a work party!

Small update: I bought some seats. Rusty's Off Road was having a sale on MasterCraft Nomads, so I picked up a pair.

IMG_20180213_214714_772.jpg

IMG_20180213_214714_776.jpg

I was also able to pull the rear end apart with a buddy. Tons are big! As suspected, I just toasted a pinon bearing. I have never seen on this far gone before. It is amazing that there wasn't any other damage.

IMG_20180225_100127_250.jpg

IMG_20180225_100127_251.jpg

A week from Friday another buddy is coming over to help me set up the gears and the new Detroit locker. I also ordered new rear springs since I bent them pretty badly when the rear end locked up. After that I should be ready for a test run... This time with 90w in the rear end. LOL

Last edited:
Carl at JustDifferentials.com hooked me up with everything I need to get the rear end back together. I can't speak highly enough of Carl and his business. JustDifferentials.com and Nitro Gear are the s***! As soon as I get the parts, I will be scheduling a work party!

Carl is good people - years ago, I lead some 4x4 excursions at the NWOR, and it was sponsored by him. After, he put on my facebook that I'd worked for him. That little bit has given me more humor (since it has nothing to do with my real job) then it probably ever should.... I just wish I could get employee discounts

I need to shoot over to see him soon, my new Colorado is way too stock ;)

that said, I'm going to keep repeating my chant of "it's not going to be wild" in hopes that it somehow takes in my psyche.... though today I ordered a leveling kit, and looked at 'just a mild update' to the stereo (they want $4,000 which isn't going to happen but what will happen is I'll replace the speakers, add a subwoofer and an amp - but not spend 4k doing it) - and not yet 700 miles. Pretty sure I'm doomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom