BJ-73 - "Made in Portugal" by: Salvador Caetano (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BJ-73 "Made in Portugal" By: Salvador Caetano

IMG_5118x.jpg

Many BJ-73 sold in Portugal & Spain were built by Salvador Caetano in Portugal.

These BJ-73 equipped 4-cylinder engine & 5-cylinder VM Motori

VM_motori_1F4ED11700264E7DD9D7274E7DD9CF.jpg

The supports of the bodywork on the chassis are not equal to the supports of the BJ-73 conventional, are handcrafted.

...the remainder is equal ;)

are the engines equal?

In Spain and Portugal were sold BJ-73 units with 3B engines, and BJ-73 units manufactured by Salvador Caetano with Italian engines (VM Motori) 5-cylinder and 4 cylinders (2.500 cc 115 hp)

Check this link and read the info of this engines (VM Motori):

- VM Motori S.p.A.

The reason for making this model BJ-73 in Portugal with VM engines, was the restriction of import of Japanese cars in the late 80's and early 90`s.

The reason for making this model BJ-73 in Portugal with VM engines, was the restriction of import of Japanese cars in the late 80's and early 90`s.

yep ...kinda the same thing why Toyoda do Brazil started making the Bandeirante ... they needed to be nationalized

By 1962 however they were 100% Brazilian made.

"the 1st year in oct 1958 they were recieving knock down kits...they were not able to recieve parts till that time. during the 1959 year the brazil gov imposed that they be 85% brazil made...toyoda do brasil was only at 60% at that time. Furthur production and tooling started there . some time in 1960 they imposed 95% brazil made which made the engines which they recieved many parts for now not usable. they contracted with Benz brazil for the 4cyl mb engines that were being produced there in jan 1962.

April 1st 1962 the 1st benz powered bandi 25 come off the assembly line."

Thanks for the info about the Bj73...very cool and unique

The supports of the bodywork on the chassis are not equal to the supports of the BJ-73 conventional, are handcrafted.

I want to put a Salvador Caetano bj73 body on my bj73 3b shassis,after i red this post i checked the supports on the shassis of the Salvador shassis and compared them to the supports on the 3b shassis.

All look the same exept the last front ones(only the form a little and holes in the suports are different in the front ones)

Ill post pictures later,but is it right that the distances are all the same so that the Salvador body can fit just right onto the 3b shassis ?

Ill post pictures later,but is it right that the distances are all the same so that the Salvador body can fit just right onto the 3b shassis ?

Its the same vehicle with another engine ,any 73/74 body is intechangeable with other MWB chassis'.
The coil sprung 99- would require some work

I hope you are still checking this site. I just bought a BJ73 VM. I am currently stationed in Spain and I am having a hard time finding certain parts. Any idea on where I can get a water pump.

IMG_5118x.jpg

VM_motori_1F4ED11700264E7DD9D7274E7DD9CF.jpg

VM motors parts are still viable today with no problem.
check with a general spare part dealer , they should be able to help you out easily .

rgs Renago

You would have to find out which VM diesel it is first. Maybe a HR 492? . You have more chance of getting parts in Spain and Europe than anywhere else

The four cyl is the HR 492 HI, the straight 5 is the HR 588 HT (not intetcooled).
In Italy VM parts are cheap, you can find it at the supermarket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom