Marlin Crawler Land Cruiser Products (1 Viewer)

What Land Cruiser Specific Productions WOULD YOU BUY if we developed them?

• Land Cruiser 80 Series chromoly semi float axle shafts (C-clip)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Land Cruiser 80 Series chromoly axle shafts with C CLIP ELIMINATOR

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • LC 80 series full float conversion using LC or Mini Truck hubs/disks, using MC's double stud design

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • 3FE COMPLETE H55 conversion kit (includes MC built transmission, big $$$)

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • 3E to R150/R151 Mini Truck 5 speed to SPLIT CASE Adapter Kit

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • HF2A/HF2AV New Low Gear set w/ SUBSTANTIALLY LOWER gear ratio- may require extensive mods to case

Votes: 62 36.7%
  • Marlin Crawler built 80 series case with Crawler Gear (3.12:1) and spool, ready to bolt in

Votes: 78 46.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since we're in wish mode here, how about a high pinion 9.5 inch differential?

But lower gearing would be nice. I have your 3:1 set in my truck and it's a noticeable and worthwhile difference, I'd still like lower gearing. Especially in the form of a reduction box between the transmission and transfer case. ie Toy80Box.

Judging by the results above, I'm not sure why there's much discussion on anything but T-Case gears. o_O

Wait, you're saying the 80 guys want lower gears? I hadn't noticed ;)

Since we're in wish mode here, how about a high pinion 9.5 inch differential?

But lower gearing would be nice. I have your 3:1 set in my truck and it's a noticeable and worthwhile difference, I'd still like lower gearing. Especially in the form of a reduction box between the transmission and transfer case. ie Toy80Box.

Well, we are in "wish" mode but these are all products within the realm of possibility. A HP rear diff would be awesome, but probably not worth the investment from a business POV.

What about 4BT and 6BT swap kits? If you could come up with something for a reasonable price (everything besides the motor and trans for $5k?) I would imagine a lot of people would buy that. It can't be that much stuff can it? A few machined parts, some brackets, and wiring?

This info could really translate into real products if you guys want it!
Marlin Crawler

Marlin Crawler Wish List:
1. Steering box frame gusset plate (weld-in) with sleeves to accommodate through bolts
2. Front housing gusset plates
3. Better knuckle gussets 80 specific
4. Rear adjustable upper and low control arms using OEM rubber at axle and EMF rebuildable Heims at frame
5. longshot for 70 series - front / rear u-bolt skid plates (not reversal)

Last edited:
Semi Float shafts are not necessarily a waste of time, they just haven't been done correctly yet. There was another set of shafts on the market for 40 and 60 series axles, but while they were strong, they had issues with the metallurgy which caused premature bearing surface failure. Land Cruiser Semi Float axles are very strong for what they are, and there is potential for some major improvements in strength if these problems are addressed. One of the reason no one has done them for 80 series shafts is that you guys always have the option of swapping in a FF unit from an FZJ80 in the US, which is a superior choice, with disk brakes and a 4 pinion carrier. But, with availability limited and a premium on parts, we think that exploring the idea of drop in axle shafts isn't a total waste of time.
Maybe. I imagine the R&D cost here is pretty low, so perhaps there's not a ton of risk to investigate this option. If I were a product manager at Marlin, though, I certainly would consider this to be a non-starter compared to the obvious other demands out there.

A substantially lowered low gear would Part me from my cash. I’d have my rig in your shop the next day for a 4:1 or better.

I think the semi float parts are a very good idea if the 60 and 40 uses them too. It’s not like everyone with a 1992 or older land cruiser should or can or need to get a ff axle anyway. If the r+d costs are pretty low I’d imagine it would be worth selling them especially if there isn’t another good option on the market. the overland people might want the axles if it’s cheaper than trying to source a ff.

Has anyone suggested lower low gears yet?

I have the H series gearbox, this is renowned for being stronger than the R series however, whilst not breaking outright, it is common knowledge they do struggle to give a decent shift after as little as 40,000 miles, this is before working the box hard. Toyota recognised the problem and my research shows there were no less than three attempts to get it right, which they didn't, it really needs looking into IMO.

Would MC consider a modified gear set with a lower 1st gear and taller 5th, with much stronger synchromesh for the H series, instead of investing in development of the R series box which already has a reputation for breaking, even when only moderately load up?

I would be all over that!

Regards

Dave

I think for 80 series specific parts the options list doesn't cover alot of new ground (no offense).

I'd like to hear of trans adapters, to throw some sort of domestic 5 speed, or t-case adapters (I know there is often conflict with location of fuel tank, but there must be some trans/t-cases that work).

The Np242 that came in the heavier vehicles (H2 etc) would be cool, the option of running AWD/4WD/2WD and running hubs in the front would be sweet.

Kits for 14 bolt conversion would be nice as well, say with brackets to use factory linkages and a shave kit, and have a pinion flange to match the 80 driveshaft flange, or maybe for a D60 out of an early 90's dodge.

I'm running a 6BT and 38's... I should have made these upgrades years ago... Sorry to any toyota/aisin purists.

I'm not sure if the same NP242 that was behind the 8.0 in the H2 is the same as the one in the jeeps, but if it is strong enough for an H2 it should be fine in an 80, and the AWD/2WD would be nice.

edit: it may be the 32 spline in the H1

edit, which may be called a borg warner 4484 or something, but even running the stock t-case with a manual trans in the middle, would need more adapters, or possible a rover t-case.

Last edited:
From a business standpoint, I see no sense in doing anything for the 3fe or for the semi floaters, unless the parts will cross over to the 40 and 60 series as well, because the 3fe was only around for two years, and the semi floater is easily and very cheaply replaced with a full floater assembly. But from an enthusiasts standpoint, go for it. None of that applies to me, but I'm sure there's at least one guy out there that'd spend the money on whatever you build. As to whether you'll recoupe the R&D costs, I can't say.

Personally, I think efforts should be focused on a manual swap that invloves an NV4500 and factory tcase as well as an NP-whatever or Atlas tcase. Let the guys that want to keep their factory tcase and axles do so, but also give the guys running tons some love. Since I assume your primary market is North America, make the conversion kit require easy to find parts for the tranny and tcase. As many have said, an R tranny wouldn't be my first choice.

Something else would be a five speed automatic swap for those of us too dumb or lazy to run a clutch pedal on the trail.

Would MC consider a modified gear set with a lower 1st gear and taller 5th, with much stronger synchromesh for the H series, instead of investing in development of the R series box which already has a reputation for breaking, even when only moderately load up?

I would be all over that!

Regards

Dave

Checkout terrain tamer's offeringsfor, replacement gear sets with much taller 5th gear (I think its them)
And also look at H152 in current gen 79series.
There's been discussion on what it takes to retro fit h152 gears, or gear box into non v8 vehicles on Lcool. Can't find the thread

I have been hesitant to order the 80 tcase low range at 3.12:1. I want it but it is a little further down the list of priorities. A lower gear would move that priority level up. 4:1 or better would have me living on ramen noodles with a smile.

From a business standpoint, I see no sense in doing anything for the 3fe or for the semi floaters, unless the parts will cross over to the 40 and 60 series as well, because the 3fe was only around for two years, and the semi floater is easily and very cheaply replaced with a full floater assembly. But from an enthusiasts standpoint, go for it. None of that applies to me, but I'm sure there's at least one guy out there that'd spend the money on whatever you build. As to whether you'll recoupe the R&D costs, I can't say.

Personally, I think efforts should be focused on a manual swap that invloves an NV4500 and factory tcase as well as an NP-whatever or Atlas tcase. Let the guys that want to keep their factory tcase and axles do so, but also give the guys running tons some love. Since I assume your primary market is North America, make the conversion kit require easy to find parts for the tranny and tcase. As many have said, an R tranny wouldn't be my first choice.

Something else would be a five speed automatic swap for those of us too dumb or lazy to run a clutch pedal on the trail.

You're right. Anything we build along these lines will be easily adaptable to previous models. 3FEs were able available in FJ62s, etc and any semi float axles are the same basic design with the same tooling required to build, just different lengths/

What about 4BT and 6BT swap kits? If you could come up with something for a reasonable price (everything besides the motor and trans for $5k?) I would imagine a lot of people would buy that. It can't be that much stuff can it? A few machined parts, some brackets, and wiring?

You can plug a Cummins into a Cruiser trans using a GM configuration with Advance Adapters V8 conversion parts, or you can use an NV4500 to Cruiser case. I'm sure someone out there makes motor mounts, if not its a fairly easy job. The Cummins stuff is awesome, but the reality is that it's very much a niche conversion and isn't for everyone. Honestly, if you want a diesel, go grab yourself a JDM lineup from any number of fine folks who can get a hold of that stuff and just plug it in.

Sitting on a NWF BB waiting on an input. After folding the gas tank seam there's easily an inch of clearance between the tcase and gas tank, with the BB installed. Adapter, box, something can work, it's just my opinion, but out of all of it, significant gear reduction is going to be money for y'all.

upload_2018-1-23_22-33-52.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom