Reverse light upgrade questions. Is this a dumb idea? Will it work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've never been happy with how much light comes out of the reverse lights on my LX470. It just doesn't illuminate enough for me to see anything. I've tried multiple bulbs in the stock housings and nothing is working well enough. The rear camera is almost always nearly blacked out in the evenings and also doesn't give me much to work with.

I came across these Rigid lights:

61l-4HDsWgL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Indust...&sr=8-5&keywords=rigid+flush+mount+led+lights
https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Indust...&sr=8-5&keywords=rigid+flush+mount+led+lightshttps://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Indust...&sr=8-5&keywords=rigid+flush+mount+led+lights

Ignite | Flush Mount Diffused Flush White Black | Rigid Industries

The reviewers on Amazon say they pack a pretty big punch for such small lights.

My idea was to mount these to between the license plate and the existing backup lights. The idea would be to just tap into the existing wiring and run both the bulbs that are already there and also the little Rigid lights.

s-l1600.jpg

If I total screw it up, these license plate pockets are a few hundred to replace, but I would feel more confident drilling some holes into this piece than anywhere else on the body.

So what does the collective wisdom of this forum think?

I have these in my LX and my Volvo, had them in my LC too. And we live in place where there are no streetlights, AND we put ceramic tint over our factory tint. They are VERY bright, and very economically priced. I'd try something like this before I put holes in that license plate apron.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H57FXWA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those look interesting, but my LX470 wants 921 bulbs. I don't think these will work and I can't find a 921 equivalent on Amazon.

IMG_1277.PNG
Here are the ones I installed in my truck, I am pleased with them. Put them in my wives van too.

I installed the JDM ASTARS listed above and have been happy

Pfran has a pair of reverse lights that helped me out significantly, worth trying that before you go too crazy.

I tried his Cree bulbs for a while. They were very spotlight-ish and didn't illuminate the area directly around the vehicle.

I installed the JDM ASTARS listed above and have been happy

These are what I have in right now. They look very bright for other people to see my vehicle, but aren't providing enough light to show anything in the rear view camera or through the mirrors on a dark night.

I think one of the biggest problems I have is the inboard backup lights on my LX470. I really wish they were outboard instead of just having the dummy spot.

I use those same Rigids as reverse lights and as area lighting for camp use. I didn't buy the flush mounts instead opted for mounting them up on top. I'll post a picture later.

I bought the diffused and they work great. Would strongly suggest.

On the '03+ LX, do any bulbs reside here? If none, perhaps supplement your existing reverse lights with more?

img.jpg

The eBay lights are drop-in replacements for the OEM reflectors and measure 6.07" x 1.57", so it looks like the body of the Amazon lights is sized right for the existing opening. BUT, the eBay lights and OEM reflectors are very shallow at 0.38" deep with a mounting bolt protruding as well. So, you're gonna have to cut out some of whatever is behind the OEM reflectors to get the Amazon's to fit. (I haven't removed one to see even though it's just one nut. We can thank H3N2 for that.)

Here are some eBay light pics so you can get an idea of things:

IMG_7669.JPG
IMG_7670.JPG

Last edited:
I just have a 6" LED over my spare tire .. plenty light .. altho also have pfran LED on reverse sockets. On the bumper flood must be the best option ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom