Half-baked rear heater motor rebuild (it’s so crazy, it just might work) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
I’ve had zero luck either finding a replacement blower motor or a shop willing to rebuild the brushes and bushings in my rear heater blower motor.

At Pick-n-Pull, I eyeballed a rear blower motor out of a third GEN 4Runner that looked like the body and mounting flange were very similar to a -40 (although the mounting flange was on the wrong side of the motor). Since it was a ‘half off weekend’, I bought it and brought it home.
Today I got around to playing with the thing and think I’ve found a somewhat half baked solution.

Dead motor:

022B8773-B8C6-44D7-9EE7-E3733993454A.jpeg

Last edited:
Genious idea!

If a guy were to scuff the paint, do you think JB weld would have strength enough to hold it?

That's clever, but I think you're going about it the hard way. I'm also re-purposing a later fan motor to my rear heater, and had the same issue of wrong flange height. I simply made some aluminum spacers to make up the difference. Motor shaft on mine also needs to be trimmed.

IMG_6444.jpg

That's clever, but I think you're going about it the hard way. I'm also re-purposing a later fan motor to my rear heater, and had the same issue of wrong flange height. I simply made some aluminum spacers to make up the difference. Motor shaft on mine also needs to be trimmed.

View attachment 1616826

:pWas your fan 1/2 price though

Nader, how long are those screws? Do they hit the factory holes?

My 71 fan motor rebuild turned out to be a D+. Only runs on high and quite noisey. Might have to get me a 4runner motor:cheers:

Flange hole spacing is identical. The spacers are solid, I threaded them on both ends so it's screwed from both sides. Even easier solution would be to get long screws and double nut them around the flange and base.

View attachment 1616826

Great minds think alike!
I also thought about spacers but after hunting around in my parts bins for a while I didn’t find anything I liked. Cutting the spot welds and moving the flange was pretty easy (if you have a rivet cutter).

After having my rear core repaired twice I decided to take it out. That and I put in a bench seat for the kids. Although my fan always worked. I put new brushes in the front motor once many years ago. What I did for a rear heater is squeeze an FJ80 rear heater under the drivers seat. It occupies the space under the right side of the seat and somewhat under the console. It's a little tight, but the factory tools and jack still fit fine. Hardest part was building a new vent cover arrangement to direct the air out of the cuttout where the rear heater lines used to pass under the console. Wires in the same as the original however and works quite well. Seems to put out good heat and is much quieter. FJ60 heater would maybe work too. Difference is the lines of the core go straight and down through the floor in an FJ60. The lines of an FJ80 heater have 90 degree turns and just fit against the floor of a 40. Would probably have to bend the lines at the core on a 60, could be difficult without kinking them.

I bet the motors would be similar to the ones used above if that was of interest too.

As for putting the bracket back on, I bet a quick tack weld would not hurt the epoxy of the magnets. Shouldn't take much to hold it really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom