Best, cost effective AT tire... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LS1FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
I know, I know... Flame away!

I’ve always bought BFG AT KOs (and now KO2s) for my 80s. However, my son’s 80 needs tires. The KOs are dry rotting. He mostly is on road with minor dirt road travel. We get a fair amount of snow/ice here.

I know guys have run the Duratracs but they aren’t any less expensive.

What about the Cooper Discoverer ATs? General Grabber AT2? Any others?

Obviously, I still want it to look cool! :hillbilly:

The guys on Vancouver Island this winter found that the BFG AT's ( newer versions ) have proven
to be just about the best offroad and winter driving tires out of a group of trucks. They're stronger
side walls than past and they have quite a bit of siping. I'm looking at them for my BJ74 now.
I run the Toyo MT's but the BFG's are lot cheaper and better value for the money.

The guys on Vancouver Island this winter found that the BFG AT's ( newer versions ) have proven
to be just about the best offroad and winter driving tires out of a group of trucks. They're stronger
side walls than past and they have quite a bit of siping. I'm looking at them for my BJ74 now.
I run the Toyo MT's but the BFG's are lot cheaper and better value for the money.

Yeah, I was hell bent on buying tires today. Decided to take a deep breath. He can drive my 92 instead of his 92 for a few days.

I really want to find some inexpensive steel Toyota wheels in a 16” so I can just swap my 93 wheels on to his 92. I put about 30k on my rig a year. My BFGs have always lasted 50-60k unless they dry rot first...

@LS1FJ40 what size are you looking for ? I was back and forth for days trying to decide what I should put on her GX. I wanted something I could take off road if we wanted, but would need good onroad manners since the rig will be on pavement most of the time. In my mind the KO2 is just too much money for what you get. Are they good, yes, that's been proven. Are they so good that they command almost $100 additional per tire ? I want value for my money, not overpay for something that isn't markedly better than the competition. My two finalist out of the list were

1. Falken AT3W
2. Kumho MT51

I went with the Kumho because I've used there tire before and have always been impressed with how much technology they are packing into it for the price. Also, it's a lot more aggressively built than the Falken, but not in a way that should make it loud and annoying on the roadway. They are marketed as an MT, but really it strikes me as more of a hybrid.

I priced out 31/10.50/15. That’s what I have on my 92. Would like to bump him up to 32/33”.

31” were $802 for BFG AT KO2s
$740 for Cooper Discoverer AT3

I had the Coopers on my 70 Series. Not a bad tire but not as aggressive.

Take a look at Treadwright. I know quite a few guys running them and I just put a pair of their Warden AT's on my trailer. Very cost effective and a virtual clone of the BFG AT.

Take a look at Treadwright. I know quite a few guys running them and I just put a pair of their Warden AT's on my trailer. Very cost effective and a virtual clone of the BFG AT.

Interesting. I’d have to find someone to mount them then...

Interesting. I’d have to find someone to mount them then...

If you're working with a bare wheel, easy peasy. I mounted mine up to new wheels with some soapy water and a HarborFreight tire iron. Then I can just drop them somewhere to have them balanced.

go with Grabber AT2s

also check out Hankook

I've bought Toyo AT. Much much cheaper than BFG AT and it does the job nicely. Also felt nice in the snow.
But BFG will have a stronger side wall. However, I'm happy with the Toyo AT's, especially for the lower price.

The new Falken Wildpeak AT3 is what I got - was the cheapest brand-name 'aggressive AT' from all my local tire shops. Very happy with them and only recently starting to see them more on other people's trucks.

Careful with these... plenty of horror stories out there about the "quality" of their tires. While it seems that in recent years they have come under some new ownership and things are shaping up a bit, my recommendation is that you stay away from these unless you have a very good insurance policy (and possibly don't mind losing a child).

Been a fanboy of Coopers as of late. My current ST Maxx are wearing like iron and still have great tread life left in them, do phenomenal in the snow and dirt and only have minor issues in ice. On road manners are as good as most ATs if not better, and definitely quieter than some of the ATs we have had in the past. Recently put a set of Cooper HTP on the wife's 4Runner and they have been great in EVERYTHING, never had a single slip in any type of weather. If you don't want something as aggressive as the ST Maxx the AT3 are supposed to be great (called the ATP at Discount Tire as they are made for Discount) or you could always look up Mastercraft tires, which are made by Cooper and share many similar tread patterns.

Careful with these...

I hear ya, and the stories out there are partly why I have them on a trailer. Not sure where I fall running them on a family hauler or DD'r. I think they are much better now, than in the past, at least from what I have heard and seen over the last year or so. Besides, surf the interweb and you can find "horror stories" about virtually any product you like.

Firestone Destination AT's. I ran these for years on my 2002 Chevy Blazer (got over 50k on the first set). Very good in rain/snow/ice. Very little road noise.

I know I'll be looking at them when the OEM Goodyears on my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 wear out.

bridgestone revoII, not the cheepest but the best in the snow and ice I have found.... and wear really well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom