Rear Differential Fluid Change (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While on topic has anyone used the other type of hex head drain plug with the longer magnet liked pictured at bottom (90341-18035) or is their not enough clearance. Picture from 200 forum and discussion where they are using them, but nothing mentioned here.
image-jpeg.1241144

I'd be more nervous stripping out the internal Allen socket...if you strip a bolt head, vise grips can rescue you. If you strip out an Allen socket, you're in a world of hurts.

If you strip out an Allen socket, you're in a world of hurts.
Not really - I've stripped two of these and was able to remove both using a quality T45 torx socket and some MAP gas. I now use liquid teflon and not had problems. Kinda makes you wonder why all plugs aren't torx?

Better luck for you then. I've stripped torx and it was drama getting it out. My dad swears by torx. I'm not yet in that camp.

I have always changed gear oil at 30,000 miles. You could probably 50,000 with synthetic, but oil is cheaper than parts.

If you arent locked, 75w/90 will be fine in all three (front-tc-rear). Mobil1 synthetic is a good option- can be found everywhere.

If you have lockers, heavier weight synthetic is recommended. I’m running Royal Purple syn 85w/140 in my TJM locked rear diff, and M1 75/90 in the TC and Front diff.

If you arent locked, 75w/90 will be fine in all three (front-tc-rear). Mobil1 synthetic is a good option- can be found everywhere.

If you have lockers, heavier weight synthetic is recommended. I’m running Royal Purple syn 85w/140 in my TJM locked rear diff, and M1 75/90 in the TC and Front diff.

Sweet, thanks for the reply.
My LX isn’t locked so I’ll look for Mobil 1 75w90.

An extremely useful thread for a first-timer auto mechanic like myself:rofl: Can someone finally confirm -- 27 ft.lbs or 36 ft.lbs torque for the front, rear diff and t-case plugs? Thanks!

An extremely useful thread for a first-timer auto mechanic like myself:rofl: Can someone finally confirm -- 27 ft.lbs or 36 ft.lbs torque for the front, rear diff and t-case plugs? Thanks!
27ft/lbs for the transfer case. 35ft/lbs for both front & rear diffs

I’m looking on auto zone and oreilly and both show SAE synthetic Mobil 1 75w90.
I thought I read somewhere it needs to say GL-5.

Are all Lx470 front diff LSD, this thread seems to imply it but I wanted to be sure? My owners manual doesn't call out LSD oil only says hypoid API Gl-5 80W-90. My stores only seem to have 89-90 with LSD additives. Will it harm anything to put it in if my diff is not LSD?

Are all Lx470 front diff LSD, this thread seems to imply it but I wanted to be sure? My owners manual doesn't call out LSD oil only says hypoid API Gl-5 80W-90. My stores only seem to have 89-90 with LSD additives. Will it harm anything to put it in if my diff is not LSD?
No it will not harm anything to use that fluid in your diff.

If it's an LX, it has a Limited Slip rear. I use Mobil1 Synthetic 75-90w LS fluid. I use that in the rear and front diffs as well as transfer case. LS fluid in a non-LS diff isn't a problem. Non-LS fluid in an LS diff IS a big issue.

This might not be the best place for this, but does anyone know whether you can check whether you need to replace differential fluid (also wondering about tcase fluid) without knowing the service history of the vehicle? My local Toyota dealer said there is no way to check (can't you open the fill plug and take a sample to check the fluid?) and that they want to do front/rear diffs and tcase fluid replacement. It's pretty expensive for them to do it, so I'm hesitant to do it given that the fluids may be completely fine. Thanks in advance.

This might not be the best place for this, but does anyone know whether you can check whether you need to replace differential fluid (also wondering about tcase fluid) without knowing the service history of the vehicle? My local Toyota dealer said there is no way to check (can't you open the fill plug and take a sample to check the fluid?) and that they want to do front/rear diffs and tcase fluid replacement. It's pretty expensive for them to do it, so I'm hesitant to do it given that the fluids may be completely fine. Thanks in advance.
Do it yourself, I bought a 7 quarts and pump for under $80 from advanced auto parts.
They had a 25% coupon and free shipping.
I did the rear yesterday and it was under 30min with clean up too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom