Slinky Long Travel Suspension Systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different rates between the intermediate and heavy duty coils but heavy 75mm will be the same rate as heavy 50mm. I'll see if I can find free height. I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

I'm starting to think its a conspiracy, I haven't seen anyone yet provide the numbers on the 50mm coils and I've even tagged the design guru and the US distributor. Not even so much as an acknowledgment from them.

Not sure what the conspiracy would be. There is clearly reluctance to share their specs in this competitive space since there is a rush of new suspension kits for the 80’s these days. I can do understand some of that. I can also understand why people would be interested in the springrate info when they are looking to purchase.

I’m sure they also understand that they may lose a handful of customers that won’t purchase because they can’t get the info they want. Must not bother them enough to change what they’re doing. They seem to still be at an advantage in the market space as there is a waiting list for kits so whatever they are doing must be working.

FWIW, I’ll share any information I’m able to gather but frankly I don’t even care what the spring rate is, I just know it works awesome on my truck.

FWIW, I’ll share any information I’m able to gather but frankly I don’t even care what the spring rate is, I just know it works awesome on my truck.

I seem to remember the spring rates being posted up and it not being a big secret. My real interest was the free length on the coil. I want to come down in lift height. I know they say 50mm, but I want to see how that stacks up with the other springs in that range. If its some super secret proprietary information, that's fine. But at least acknowledge that people are asking questions rather than ignoring them. In fact, to my knowledge, your the first person associated with the slinky coils that has replied on this topic.

Do you know if there any pics posted up other than the review in TLCA magazine ? A hub to fender measurement would also be helpful.

@woody gave me his measurements a while back. Keep in mind he's running some spring spacers in the rear and his rig was loaded with these numbers "Fullsize spare, drawers loaded, no RTT, ready to wheel":

22-3/4 front
23-1/2 rear
Center hub to fender...no flares

@woody gave me his measurements a while back. Keep in mind he's running some spring spacers in the rear and his rig was loaded with these numbers "Fullsize spare, drawers loaded, no RTT, ready to wheel":

22-3/4 front
23-1/2 rear
Center hub to fender...no flares

Now that's helpful. So the rear spring only measurement is only off by whatever thickness spacer he is running.

Now that's helpful. So the rear spring only measurement is only off by whatever thickness spacer he is running.
Yeah, subtract that out... then factor in the weight he's got in the back. (which is pretty heavy by his account)

bottom of rim at bead to fender lip has been posted alot.

It should be around 810-825mm front

810-840mm rear dep on int or hd chosen.

rim to hub has always been industry standard, because on wide offset wheels an accurate hub centre measurement isnt as easy to achieve.

Hey @NateMob Is your tin foil hat a bowler or tophat ?

:grinpimp:

@AutoCraft Aus I thought I would post this here instead of the main forum. I was going through one of the suspension pages in 80 tech recently and you had mentioned cutting dead coils out of a tapered wire spring in order to drop the height. I was wondering what experiences you had had with this ? Personally I'm not a big fan of the 75mm lift's when running a 285 tire. What adverse affects might you get by cutting coils off ?

When part of the dead part of the coil at ride height, no effect really.

We also do 50mm front coils to though.

The reason we did a small amount of trim built in was for TD to 4.5 petrol versions where theres afew hundred pounds difference in weight if wanting to see same height.

Built in adjustability really, no side effects.

When part of the dead part of the coil at ride height, no effect really.

We also do 50mm front coils to though.

The reason we did a small amount of trim built in was for TD to 4.5 petrol versions where theres afew hundred pounds difference in weight if wanting to see same height.

Built in adjustability really, no side effects.

Ok, I have been trying to wrap my mind around the physics of this for the last week. My thought was if you had say 4 coils in the smaller diameter up top, and two were touching and two had a gap. Then you cut out 1 of the top coils now you still have two touching but only one with a gap. Or cut two coils and now you have the remaining two top coils touching each other. Each time you cut you would be removing some of the upward resistance that the vehicles weight is trying to overcome. I would think you would be getting into your higher rate even sooner, or possibly riding around on the higher rate ?

Ok, I have been trying to wrap my mind around the physics of this for the last week. My thought was if you had say 4 coils in the smaller diameter up top, and two were touching and two had a gap. Then you cut out 1 of the top coils now you still have two touching but only one with a gap. Or cut two coils and now you have the remaining two top coils touching each other. Each time you cut you would be removing some of the upward resistance that the vehicles weight is trying to overcome. I would think you would be getting into your higher rate even sooner, or possibly riding around on the higher rate ?
The winds that are touching aren't going to give you any compression. Just the winds of the smaller diameter that are not touching. On tapered dual rate coils that generally isn't a lot of compression in the spring before getting into the higher rate part of the coil. But it is usually enough to absorb smaller road imperfections and bumps that wouldn't deflect the coil enough to compress the higher rate part of the coil. This is what improves the ride on small bumps and large ones, but you probably already know all of that.
Cutting the top wind or two off the coil likely isn't going to change anything about the coil except for ride height as those winds are probably touching already and can compress any further. So you should still have the same area of "transition" between the two spring rates.

You will, however, lose some droop before the coil unseats from the bucket since there are a couple winds gone now that would normally expand while drooped.

@Box Rocket the losing down travel is really the only part that I'm sure of. Even though the uppermost coils would be touching, and technically "dead," they should still be exerting upward force against the vehicle. In order for them to be compressed at all they would have to be countering another force. If you took them out, you would now be transmitting this same force further down into the coil stack right ?

@Box Rocket the losing down travel is really the only part that I'm sure of. Even though the uppermost coils would be touching, and technically "dead," they should still be exerting upward force against the vehicle. In order for them to be compressed at all they would have to be countering another force. If you took them out, you would now be transmitting this same force further down into the coil stack right ?
The forces from the vehicle won't change but the springs ability to support the forces will as the diameter of the taper increases. You'd be cutting of the smallest diameter section of the coil. The transition portion of the coil where it changes spring rate will still be in the same location and just because you cut off a couple winds it won't mean that you still have the same number of winds touching each other just farther down the coil.

just because you cut off a couple winds it won't mean that you still have the same number of winds touching each other just farther down the coil.

It should, as long as you are still in the smaller wire portion of the coil. I am talking about what this is doing in the upper portion, not the thicker lower portion. The rate should be altered because you are altering wire length by cutting. Now you should be closer to hitting the load rate of the coil which means you could potentially be riding around on that rate more often then not ? I'd like to know how to do the math on a non-linear spring so we could see if this is actually the case or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom