100-series revival, correction, and build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some modifications to the truck, new Phillips bulbs for all the exterior white lights and DIY mud flaps. A single big-rig flap is large enough to make four flaps for the 100 series. I'll post detail photos at another time. So far the truck is treating the family well. On its second 2k mile trip. Time for an oil change. Need to balance the tires too. In any case Merry Christmas everyone.
IMG_3467.JPG

Truck shi* the bed in down town Chicago. Currently in a parking structure with a 6'8" clearance. I'm thinking the starter took a dump. My roadside found a guy, I'm assuming he is going to be using a dolly. Any advice as to how to get the truck out safely?

Sucks, sorry. Can you roll down the structure?

My alternator in my 99 LC crapped out this time last year when the temps went super cold.

Driver quote: "she's a big girl."

Dudes did real good getting the truck out of the structure.

IMG_3477.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

So the truck almost left us stranded along i65/i70 on the way back to Ohio. Voltage dropped to 10-ish. I was able to stop at a Costco and by 2 interstate replacements to get me home 140 miles. First one went in right away and the second one went in 9 miles from home. I drove running minimal accessories at 75mph. Heater at hottest setting and the second notch and parking lights on at night. The ABS system will shut down just before the fueling system at about 8-9 volts.

I don't really blame the truck, I hold Schaumburg Toyota in Illinois responsible. They diagnosed the original issue at a dead battery. Stated they inspected and cleared the starter, alternator, and associated electrical systems and found zero issues. This issue manifested the second time driving after realease from service (first was driving it to my in-laws).

At least now im home and can start trouble shooting. I'll start by disconnecting aftermarket stuff and checking the starter alternator and grounds.

Still pending. Just ordered a TB kit from cruiser outfitters. Will start diagnosing soon. Right now I'm too busy with work two kids and a bathroom renno. Plus it's in the negatives and i don't do cold. I need enough time to sip on scotch to stay warm and -at my age- time to recover the next day. I'll post results as I find them.

so what did you find out? Alternator?

Took the truck to Voss Toyota and got a definitive fix, and a heads up on a few things. The issue turned out to be a bad alternator. Good conduction in, zero charge out. I had them replace it and also complete a detailed inspection. Brakes are at 40-ish percent otherwise seems to be okay. $100/hr labor wasn't cheap but I don't worry about it acting up for my wife now.

I've bought a 100k service kit ( thank you @cruiseroutfit ), I'm going to hold off on that until I can afford to do the fan clutch/bracket at the same time.

I'll be calling @wardharris for a TT hd brake kit and overhaul kit once spring arrives. Otherwise it's toting the kids around very well and helping a bit with a bathroom renno. The wife much prefers it to the golf when snow is on the roads.

IMG_3506.JPG
IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3509.JPG
IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3501.JPG

Thats funny , my other car is a 2008 rabbit. I run snow tires and she scoots around pretty darn good. Then i can keep the salt off of the cruiser. Ofcourse i look forward to when it gets real bad so i can get Ellsie out.

Thanks for the update on your alternator. Glad you got it figured out. Sorry you had to take it in but i hear you on the cold!

Cool Pics.

i flushed out my cooling system when i did the water pump- i sprung a little leak in the top of the radiator. Po wasnt running toyota coolant, dont know if that had anything to do with it but it was a pain to get a radiator. if you end up needing one, i would recommend rock auto.

Keep me posted on the break kit, ive replaced everything i can except the $1300 break booster and the breaks are still just ok. I know the 33's dont help.

Nice truck and build.

Looks like you're in my neck of the woods. I'm in Greene county.

If you ever want to get together and see a genuine Ohio 100 in all its Rusty glory let me know! Will make you feel better about your windshield repairs.

I've also got some land just south east of Hillsboro if you ever want to do some light wheeling. I had messaged aging fleet a couple times on the subject. Maybe we have a mini Ohio meet or something...

Nice truck and build.

Looks like you're in my neck of the woods. I'm in Greene county.

If you ever want to get together and see a genuine Ohio 100 in all its Rusty glory let me know! Will make you feel better about your windshield repairs.

I've also got some land just south east of Hillsboro if you ever want to do some light wheeling. I had messaged aging fleet a couple times on the subject. Maybe we have a mini Ohio meet or something...

Thank you for the kind words, and I am indeed in Greene county. I would love to meet up, not many cruisers in the area and all the "toyota guys" seem to stick their noses up because it's not a built new body taco/runner and the jeep guys do it because it's not a jeep.

I took my wife out last fall and she had a blast, but also almost killed me. I want her to work on her driving skills. When spring comes I'm going to rent a travel trailer for a weekend and take the family camping and fishing.

Q: I've got OME heavies and nitrocharger shocks. The ride is rough and I stink bug. How do I smooth/level it out?
A: tile your bathroom brah.

View attachment 1616387
The heavies are gonna be pretty tall without a little extra weight (swingout, drawers, etc). However you can probable smooth out the ride by switching out shocks. OME shocks are known across the board to be a little too stiff for our rigs, especially when light. I am running tough dog shocks with no complaints.

Thank you, but the post was a bit of sarcasm. I don't mind the ride, especially when I have weight back there.

A lot of work to my 77 recently. Now it’s the 100’s turn. Depos went in a while ago. Great upgrade to factory lights. They will likely get morimoto hid’s at some point.
0D958A84-B072-4A0C-BC84-10B5DFA870F6.jpeg

I started pulling the front bar to send for sand and powder, however the first bolt pulled on snapped off.

6B845536-2061-4408-8001-A614FDE73B30.jpeg

this truck is likely getting 37’s in the future, so screw it I’ll cut the bar off at a later time. Decided to strip as many accessories as possible, and deep cleaned with dawn. Chased all the rust veins from stone chips, rewashed and prepped with por 15 metal prep. The por15 will go on tonight and rattlecan rustoleum satin black once cured.

D5034BA0-B294-46E7-B537-F634E50AC841.jpeg

8C11BBD0-B68E-4AB1-AEC3-44443BCF68A0.jpeg

4F8412B3-A3C1-43E2-8543-1AB46FB02AB7.jpeg

Because the bumper couldn’t come off this go around I’ve done the best I could.

Several scrub downs with zep degreaser (concentrated bottle but doing a 50/50 mix).

Next, por15 brushed on all surfaces (front and back). Sanded and washed. Rolled on por15; the front got 2 coats.

I did have some visible marking from grinding out the rust on the front. Decided to fill the grind-scars and trail rash with bondo. It’s a very superficial and applied over three coats of por15. I’m not going for a perfect finish just reasonably smooth.

(Before the bondo was applied)
C608CB25-60AD-47EA-B370-6D1B38730AC6.jpeg

D96737E6-9C8E-40A5-AF98-81BE3565FCAD.jpeg

30FDE406-3829-4D0F-BB7D-C9859A66104F.jpeg

I used a combination of: palm sander and hand sanding to finish off the foundation. The back side didn’t get this treatment. I didn’t really care that the por15 had drip lines.

I then wrapped the truck in paper and hit it with maxx fill 2k primer. I’ll wait for that to cure then I’ll finish off with a satin black with satin top coat

5E441D6A-0D99-4F5C-A66D-71E3C301B403.jpeg

33F81763-FB8B-42D7-B14A-12E4CE3D72D8.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom