Anyone running a mild aftermarket camshaft with a stock motor or TRD Supercharger (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Standard cam break in procedures to keep the cam lubricated.

Anyone know or could measure for me how much valve tip depth there is on a 1FZ-FE head? Thanks!

I am not sure I understand what you are asking? What do you mean valve tip depth? Do you mean from spring seat to the tip of the valve? That is going to need to be measured on your specific head, valve jobs, valve grinds, re-tipping valves, etc will all change this number.

Anyone know or could measure for me how much valve tip depth there is on a 1FZ-FE head? Thanks!

From the top of the retainer to the tip. Basically, how much clearance depth is there for a lash cap.

It turns out I was able to reach my buddy at the shop and he said a lash cap would have to be no longer then 2.25 mm.

So, it looks like speaking with Schneider Racing Cams they are recommending the Supertech lash caps and the depth will have to be ground to fit the valve tip on the Cruiser as they are made to a 3mm depth and we need around 2.25mm. I will know more on this after the valve job.

Well I actually beat Schneider to the punch recommending Supertech ;) and that 3mm depth is not entirely true. You buy a formed cam follower with a place on the underside for 8mm cam follower shims. The bare cam followers are 2.70mm, 3.25mm, 3.28mm, 3.78mm, 4.20mm, 4.80mm and the cam follower shims are 1.35-3.50mm.

So, it looks like speaking with Schneider Racing Cams they are recommending the Supertech lash caps and the depth will have to be ground to fit the valve tip on the Cruiser as they are made to a 3mm depth and we need around 2.25mm. I will know more on this after the valve job.

Last edited:
Yes you did! They just recommended the lash caps, not the cam followers.

Run the valve lash caps underneath the stock buckets with the shims on top? No, do not do that. Might it work? Sure but that is not any kind of intended use. You either shim from underneath with the lashcaps and a flat top bucket, a cam follower and cam follower shim or you shim from the top with a shim on bucket, but you don't shim from underneath and on top.

Yes you did! They just recommended the lash caps, not the cam followers.

If I understand them correctly this is the recommendation. Lash cap under stock bucket and stock shim. They say the Supra guys are doing it up to 8500 rpm with no problems and they grind more off the bottom of the lash cap than I will have to.

If I get a larger shim on top of the bucket, I will risk it coming out.

I agree, it's not ideal but it's not clear at this point whether Supertechs cam followers will have the size I will need. Waiting on the machine shop for final measurements.

What I really want is a shimless bucket, but the machine shop wont grind the Nissan ones where they meet the valve because their hardened. So, that's a no go. I'm not aware of any other shimless buckets that could work.

I could go with a longer valve. It appears Manley has one that's 1mm or so longer than stock. Might be nice for my supercharger, but spendy.

Lots to think about. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Thanks for all of the help!

All I can do at this point is wait on the machine shop and see where I'm at when the time comes for the turtle build.

No supra guys are using shim under bucket and using lashcaps instead of shims, they are not putting a lashcap under a shim over bucket and they are going MR2 shimless at over 8,000rpms.

I think it is important to get the correct measurements but I would plan on cam followers and cam follower shims if you want to do it right. Or work on finding a flat top bucket and using the lash caps.

If I understand them correctly this is the recommendation. Lash cap under stock bucket and stock shim. They say the Supra guys are doing it up to 8500 rpm with no problems and they grind more off the bottom of the lash cap than I will have to.

If I get a larger shim on top of the bucket, I will risk it coming out.

I agree, it's not ideal but it's not clear at this point whether Supertechs cam followers will have the size I will need. Waiting on the machine shop for final measurements.

What I really want is a shimless bucket, but the machine shop wont grind the Nissan ones where they meet the valve because their hardened. So, that's a no go. I'm not aware of any other shimless buckets that could work.

I could go with a longer valve. It appears Manley has one that's 1mm or so longer than stock. Might be nice for my supercharger, but spendy.

Lots to think about. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Thanks for all of the help!

All I can do at this point is wait on the machine shop and see where I'm at when the time comes for the turtle build.

The other part of that equation is how tight or loose to set the valves. What's your thought on valve clearance with aftermarket cams? Schneider recommended anywhere from 0.008 in/ 0.010 ex to 0.014 in/ex.

For that I would go with their recommendation. They have a good idea of how quick the ramp up is, etc on the cam grind they did for you.

The other part of that equation is how tight or loose to set the valves. What's your thought on valve clearance with aftermarket cams? Schneider recommended anywhere from 0.008 in/ 0.010 ex to 0.014 in/ex.

Looking at this mud page: 1FZ engine building and blueprinting, it's showing the diameter of the buckets at 34mm. On Supertechs cam follower page: Cam Followers, it's showing available bucket depths in the 34mm size at 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 6.5mm. Shims 1.35 to 3.50mm. What chart are you looking at to get your data because that would give me far more sizes to work with. Thanks again!
Well I actually beat Schneider to the punch recommending Supertech ;) and that 3mm depth is not entirely true. You buy a formed cam follower with a place on the underside for 8mm cam follower shims. The bare cam followers are 2.70mm, 3.25mm, 3.28mm, 3.78mm, 4.20mm, 4.80mm and the cam follower shims are 1.35-3.50mm.

I had called them at one point and gotten information, but they are for sure 34mm, I have a set sitting at home. Going to be tougher but given 2.50mm, 3.50mm and 6.50mm and the shims, you cover plenty of range.

2.50 + 3.50 = 2.50 to 6.00mm
3.50 + 3.50 = 3.50 to 7.00mm
6.50 + 3.50 = 6.50 to 10.00mm

So you can cover from 2.50mm all the way to 10.00mm in 0.05mm increments.

Looking at this mud page: 1FZ engine building and blueprinting, it's showing the diameter of the buckets at 34mm. On Supertechs cam follower page: Cam Followers, it's showing available bucket depths in the 34mm size at 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 6.5mm. Shims 1.35 to 3.50mm. What chart are you looking at to get your data because that would give me far more sizes to work with. Thanks again!

Reading some threads it appears the stock buckets may be 2.95mm thick plus shim range of 2.5-3.3mm. So, 5.45-6.25mm total OEM range.

With a .080 base circle regrind, it appears I will need around 6.45-7.25mm. The valve job can give .010 (.25mm) back in height though. My concern/interpretation of the chart that made it sound unsure is that the 6.50mm cam follower with the minimum shim would take me to 7.85 and the maximum 3.50mm would take me to 7.00mm so if I needed above 7.00mm to 7.25mm that might be an issue. Maybe I just answered my own question of the valve job potentially making 7.00mm the max I'll need.

The other thing is that the machine shop likes to set this up on the bench prior to me torquing it to spec on the block. My understanding is that valve adjustment can change some once bolted down. How likely is this with having the head and block surfaced?

I have always let the machine shop do the valves at the shop, I haven't seen the need to reshim on the truck.

The numbers I have seen/measured have varied slightly from what you have found. With the bucket being 3.45mm. You are certainly going to have to do some mixing and matching of parts, and possibly even tip the stems.

Unfortunatly I would say the only thing to do at this time is get the valves done and get a measurement. The joys of custom 1FZ work. Haha.

Reading some threads it appears the stock buckets may be 2.95mm thick plus shim range of 2.5-3.3mm. So, 5.45-6.25mm total OEM range.

With a .080 base circle regrind, it appears I will need around 6.45-7.25mm. The valve job can give .010 (.25mm) back in height though. My concern/interpretation of the chart that made it sound unsure is that the 6.50mm cam follower with the minimum shim would take me to 7.85 and the maximum 3.50mm would take me to 7.00mm so if I needed above 7.00mm to 7.25mm that might be an issue. Maybe I just answered my own question of the valve job potentially making 7.00mm the max I'll need.

The other thing is that the machine shop likes to set this up on the bench prior to me torquing it to spec on the block. My understanding is that valve adjustment can change some once bolted down. How likely is this with having the head and block surfaced?

Thanks. I thought I had found that bucket measurement on mud somewhere. Just trying to do as much of the calculations as I can.

Machine shop started on the head recommending new valve springs with higher spring pressure for the cams and longer valves thinking this will get the valve clearance where we need it to be.

Based on Schneiders optional spring recommendation I ordered the Schneider 85lbs valve springs and some Manley SS valves that are longer than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom