Withdrawal and a Quandary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sleep.

40.jpg

I wouldn't even think about driving it in the salted roads.... I live in California and on a bad day we have sand put down to break up black ice, so salt is a non issue for us but my old "classic" cars generally have too much value ($ and emotional) for me to risk exposing them to potentially harmful weather... I will usually shelf my cars in bad weather mainly to reduce the chance of some idiot getting into an accident with me.

That said, it's alot easier to leave my classic cars protected on a rainy Tuesday when I know the sun will be out 2 days later....

Living in the east is probably tough, but the reality is you have a "season" to drive em unless you want to let em rust away, and just need to respect that season...

I know alot of guys here are die-hard Toyota guys, but I would say an 80s jeep CJ or 90s YJ could give you similar fun in the snow and offer less emotional concern about the rust.... (even though those are now going up in value too) but if you want to protect that FJ40s future, you already know to keep it off the salt...

The only people recommending that you drive it clearly haven’t lived in the northeast.

The brine dust on the dry roads is amazing in that even when the roads are dry, the salt is getting onto and into everything.

Nothing like liquified salt and deicer to get in every nook and cranny. A rinse isnt going to get all of the salt. With the premium that we pay for LC parts, it doesnt make any sense to tear them up.

Im currently leasing my DD and probably my next as our cars arnt going to last long enough to buy them.

Speaking of brine we discovered the brine solution the contractor was using on our private roads was a byproduct of fracking wells. We got a copy of the MSDS and pressured them to discontinue using the product.

The only people recommending that you drive it clearly haven’t lived in the northeast.
Couldn't have said it better. Driving it isn't worth it. You WILL regret it and the salt/acid crap will flow into every little crevice imaginable.

Speaking of brine we discovered the brine solution the contractor was using on our private roads was a byproduct of fracking wells. We got a copy of the MSDS and pressured them to discontinue using the product.

Figure all that was needed was three letters, EPA. I remember as a kid in Wisconsin on the dirt roads the county would spray with used oil from large tanker. Wasn't too many years ago the City of Phoenix was spraying used oil on the dirt allies. Made a big deal how they paved them all to keep the dirt out of the air, nothing about they had no choice because they couldn't use oil anymore.

Their is no way, absolutely no way I would drive my 40 in the salt. Yes it's tempting, but not worth it. The water salt mist brine gets whipped up as you drive and works it's way between every spot weld and rivet, and in all the nooks and crannies. It will be difficult to wash it out.

X2

Rust is the enemy.

Sounds like your 40 might have some sentimental value among both your kids. If you can swing it, why not find a slightly rusted, orphaned 40 and make it your winter war wagon. Make it safe, tinker with it and forge some new memories with your adult children. If grandchildren come along, bonus! you will have a fleet capable of 12 months of adventures.

I suppose you could ask your kids if they’d rather inherit a camry;)

If you can swing it, why not find a slightly rusted, orphaned 40 and make it your winter war wagon.

Because the winter war wagon won’t last either.

People outside the rust belt don’t understand that vehicles around here could rot out before people were done making payments on them.

There are plenty of modern trucks that have been designed to deal with this sort of environment. The 40 series LandCruiser isn’t one of them.

Last edited:
I remember a 1976 American product I bought new that both front fenders had rusted through in 3 years. What was worse is the front brake lines rusted and leaked in two years. Back then the manufacturers sadly designed many cavities into the unibody construction and moisture laden salt got trapped in those areas and seams and chemistry took over.
There were all sorts of undercoating businesses also and most of them were of no value, Ziebart was the big chain but many local garages sprayed whatever it was as rust protection that usually didn't work.

Drive em if you got em boys.

View attachment 1615989

Quick Google search shows Steam Boat Springs uses sanding material and aggressive plowing to handle snow. Steamboat Springs, CO - Official Website - Winter Operations :hmm:

Because the winter war wagon won’t last either.

People outside the rust belt don’t understand that vehicles around here could rot out before people were done making payments on them.

There are plenty of modern trucks that have been designed to deal with this sort of environment. The 40 series LandCruiser isn’t one of them.

Moved from Wisconsin at age eleven so never had to deal with the damage from salt but have seen plenty of rusted vehicles from the rust belt to know what it does.

You are right i live in the canadian prairies!!!! Winter can start in Oct and last till end of April haha.

Besides the hurt it imparts on our vehicles, there are many other damaging effects of salt to the environment from run off to accelerating the deterioration of concrete and steel structures. And, salt becomes less effective at lower temperatures. I've heard that Vermont uses sand as well but that the use of salt there has been increasing over the years. I wish they'd use sand around here but I've heard our storm sewers can't cope with it. This salt slushy stuff is nasty and it ruins so many things. Future plan: retire to a warmer climate with my preserved cruiser!

While Arizona doesn't have the problem you have in the Northeast they do salt Interstate 17 and state highways in the northern part of the state. These pictures were from Nov. 2012.
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG

Have a advantage that we do have home in the Phoenix area where washing it off is a lot easier then back east. Can see how much the salt ended up on the spare tire and how salt gets everywhere. Our local Costco car wash does a pretty good job rinsing off the the underside. Believe it the same design used in other markets. A still hand rinse the underside by hand. The FJ40 and FJ62 I have registered in the northern part of the state only get used on the forest service roads that lead directly out of the subdivision once the highway is salted until spring rain washes it off.

if you are not driving your truck now, when will you ?

life's too short for deferrals - and you are not getting any younger, either :flipoff2:

considering that old vehicles may be banned a decade from now or so in favor of self-driving capsules, how long are our 40s going to be viable transportation anyway ?

granted, my New England and Nebraska salt road days are over, but my advice would still be: enjoy the rig every time you can :steer: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom