300 series revealed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just make the 300 boxier or keep the 200 but give us the damn TDV8 and bring the lower trims. TDs for the 4Runner and Tacoma too.

If Jeep can sell the JL Wrangler there is no reason we can’t still have real trucks here. They’re even putting TDs in them. So bring the 70s after updating them as little as possible.

Last edited:
Just make the 300 boxier or keep the 200 but give us the damn TDV8 and bring the lower trims. TDs for the 4Runner and Tacoma too.

If Jeep can sell the JL Wrangler there is no reason we can’t still have real trucks here. They’re even putting TDs in them. So bring the 70s after updating them as little as possible.
I had a 70 series with that 4.5L TD in afghan. It wasn't nearly as reliable as our petrol Hilux's. Sure the range was better, but it was also loud, which doesn't matter much here but I didn't need to let people know here I was all the time. At Overland Expo East 2017, a 200 that was converted to a camper was on display. It traveled Afgan (the nicer western side) before coming to the states. The guy who owned it said to be thankful of my 5.7 because his turbo shattered apart at 50,000 miles, then had a fuel rail fail at 62,000.

My buddy has a Jeep GC with that 3.0L diesel that will be put in the the new JL. It's had more problems than I can count, and once he put a winch bar and KO2 on it. He went from 29 highway to 19 highway. I doesn't even idle that efficiently. I figured he would still shine when we are wheel all day at slow speeds, but not really. I used about one more gallon than he did on a 15 hour run.

I’ll admit I’m only familiar with the older Toyota diesels.

My point with the Jeep TDs isn’t that they’re good but that if they can get them here with CAFE there is no reason Toyota can’t.

I’ll admit I’m only familiar with the older Toyota diesels.

My point with the Jeep TDs isn’t that they’re good but that if they can get them here with CAFE there is no reason Toyota can’t.
Agreed. But Toyota isn't going to work to bring in old technology. Toyota will bring hybrid or electric land cruiser to the US before a diesel. I'm not saying I like that, but that is how it is.

IMO, a case of grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

CAFE laws here also wind up chocking potential diesel output, along with the irksome adblue and other bandaids they needs to make them compliant.

Looking at the 2018 Ford diesel motor that just got introduced for the F150, I'm not impressed by the output numbers.
250 hp @3250 RPM, 440 lb.-ft. @1750
These are similar to the Toyota diesel that's in the international 200s (EDIT: 1VD-FTV - 268hp@3600/480tq@1600 _uncorked_). The 5.7 gives up nothing and makes a s*** ton more hp for passing and pulling power necessary on US freeways. I tow, and I'll take this beast of a 5.7 gasser every time.

Last edited:
Looking at the 2018 Ford diesel motor that just got introduced for the F150, I'm not impressed by the output numbers.
250 hp @3250 RPM, 440 lb.-ft. @1750. These are similar to the Toyota diesel that's in the international 200s (EDIT: 1VD-FTV - 268hp@3600/480tq@1600 _uncorked_). The 5.7 gives up nothing and makes a s*** ton more hp for passing and pulling power necessary on US freeways. I tow, and I'll take this beast of a 5.7 gasser every time.

I saw something today that Ford is hoping for 30 mpg highway numbers from EPA. Obviously different platforms, but if they hit that efficiency with those power numbers, that’d be fairly impressive.

I saw something today that Ford is hoping for 30 mpg highway numbers from EPA. Obviously different platforms, but if they hit that efficiency with those power numbers, that’d be fairly impressive.

Sure. But fuel efficiency is not what I bought my LX for. I want capability, performance, reliability and the 5.7 delivers. I'm not willing to give up performance for efficiency. Just like I don't fault my 3200lb sports car for getting 16mpg either. Because that's not my priority, especially with gas being as cheap as it is.

On other vehicles that offer diesel options, e.g. Grand Cherokee, Colorado, Ram, the diesel is generally postured as the efficiency option. And it's generally not the cheaper option unless tons of loaded miles are driven. Even with that, it would be questionable whether it would save any money in the long run with the added maintenance. Reality would be similar if a diesel were offered on the 200-series. Now what I really want is a larger tank.

Just another nail in the coffin for oil burners - https://jalopnik.com/lawsuit-accuses-ford-of-cheating-diesel-emissions-on-50-1821962910

On other vehicles that offer diesel options, e.g. Grand Cherokee, Colorado, Ram, the diesel is generally postured as the efficiency option.

$110k buys a loaded Range Rover HSE TD6 LOL ;) -and $82k buys a loaded Discovery 5 TD6 . Silly $ there IMO

-both with stupid 20" wheelZ

Last edited:
No mention of LCs, but sounds like Toyota is kicking the diesel idea around on some vehicles. After VW, etal, I’m surprised anyone is, especially Toyota.

“Jack Hollis, the sales chief of Toyota’s U.S. division, sat down with Trucks.com to discuss the future of the pickup market”.
“Will there ever be a diesel engine option for Tundra?

There is definitely consideration. We're considering it for more than just Tundra and Tacoma. At this point, there has not been a finalized plan to go forward, but diesel is definitely an option that we are considering for implementation on multiple products.”

https://www.trucks.com/2018/01/19/toyota-sales-chief-talks-tacoma-tundra/

I wish that’d go away and we could go back to a more free market system.

Sounds like someone's a fellow libertarian :)

Global warming is a joke, the EPA should be disbanded!

IMG_2520.JPG

No mention of LCs, but sounds like Toyota is kicking the diesel idea around on some vehicles. After VW, etal, I’m surprised anyone is, especially Toyota.

“Jack Hollis, the sales chief of Toyota’s U.S. division, sat down with Trucks.com to discuss the future of the pickup market”.
“Will there ever be a diesel engine option for Tundra?

There is definitely consideration. We're considering it for more than just Tundra and Tacoma. At this point, there has not been a finalized plan to go forward, but diesel is definitely an option that we are considering for implementation on multiple products.”

https://www.trucks.com/2018/01/19/toyota-sales-chief-talks-tacoma-tundra/

The other manufacturers have diesels in light-duty pickups. GM, Ford, and RAM will all have 3.0l diesels in the light duty pickups for 2019. GM is currently selling 2.8l diesel in the Canyon/Colorado twins.

So what's the word on this? Is Toyota going to continue on with the 200 for a few more years or are we going to see the new 300 soon?

I can't find any rumblings of a new truck when searching the internet. Hummm.

Just watched an Australian 200 review with a Diesel engine. He says "its alright, I get about 1200km to s tank but it could be better." FML lol

So what's the word on this? Is Toyota going to continue on with the 200 for a few more years or are we going to see the new 300 soon?

I can't find any rumblings of a new truck when searching the internet. Hummm.

Toyota keeps information about new models very close.

I think we are stuck with the 200 series for a few more years. Toyota really needs to nail the powerplants correctly on the 300 series. With the German courts voting to uphold diesel bans in individual cities, new sales of diesel vehicles in Europe are going to start falling harder. My guesses are that there will be a derivative of the 1VD-FTV diesel for Australia, India, Africa, and South America while the rest of the world will get a turbocharged petrol with a hybrid petrol as a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom