Redbone Coonhound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We recently got a Redbone coonhound. I cant find anything online about how they are as puppies. He is 13 weeks old. Also, I haven' had a puppy this young since I was a child. He is biting my kids a lot and will eat anything he can find trash or otherwise. Is this normal behavior?

We recently got a Redbone coonhound. I cant find anything online about how they are as puppies. He is 13 weeks old. Also, I haven' had a puppy this young since I was a child. He is biting my kids a lot and will eat anything he can find trash or otherwise. Is this normal behavior?

Sounds like a 13 week old puppy to me. Wait, you just joined mud today to ask about a coonhound puppy behavior? lol Puppies are going to bite, chew, jump, and eat anything that is tasty. I currently have a 5 month old puppy that is very disciplined now, but he has had his days in the past where he was a terror.

When you say "biting" are you referring to "nipping" (somewhat common with puppies) or biting associated with aggressive behavior?

Sounds like normal puppy behavior. Dogs are pack animals and crave social structure, however they will also test that structure so be sure to establish a clear hierarchy in which the dog is below your children so the dog does not see itself in a position to discipline your children (higher on the totem pole/more of an alpha.) As for nipping, the trick to teaching your dogs to have a soft mouth is not to say "NO" when a dog nips you in play, because the dogs interpreters that as you telling it not to play. Rather yip and say "oww" like a mother dog or another puppy would which tells the dog "that is too hard." Dogs do not have hands so they use their mouths for just about everything.

Be prepared, you got a hunting dog full of instincts to chase and tree animals, then bark until the owner arrives to shoot the treed animal. Not doing so makes them anxious and they act out. I know from having owned two from a relative who hunts them. Now I have bird dogs that are smart, high energy, neurotic, and amazing at finding and pointing birds. Just as I know my FJ40 is not going to be a 2018 Lexus, know what you are getting into and plan accordingly with reasonable expectations.

Last edited:
Ginger started out just like any other goofy puppy. Shes turned out to be a Great wheeling buddy. I don't have a fenced yard and it only took a few weeks to teach her boundaries. Love to ride in the Cruisers and never strays

12644952_10206731095690016_7970531904113224932_n.jpg

12573143_10206731096410034_5940576098954886862_n.jpg

My Grandfather bred champion Redbone coonhounds when I was a kid. I never had any dates with girls when I was in high school as I and my brother were out every Friday and Saturday night helping train the young dogs. They are pretty smart, loyal and friendly dogs if raised right. Otherwise, you can get a problem. As puppies they like to chew and eat anything that will fit in their mouth. They have excellent smelling abilities and will noodle out any food you have stashed in your hunting coat. I think they are a beautiful dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom