FJ 40 floor mounted parking brake placement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

New member here and new to the off road adventure world especially the FJ scene. I'm out here in the Philippines and 40's are almost a common sight, if you're out and about you'll for sure see one rolling around if not three or four! lol

I'm now in the market for one but have a question about the parking brake placement. I don't like how the parking brake hits my right leg, I know there is the dash mounted option but what if I find a choice rig and it happens to have the floor mounted lever? is there a relocation kit/mod out there? or once I upgrade to disc brakes can I move the lever else where?

Thanks a million,
Mark

Don't know the year, seems like you can relocate the floor lever. My book doesn't show a dash mounted option.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Burbot you don't have it in your book because it starts in 1980. !978 was the last year for the dash mounted ebrake lever. There is a bit more to it than just where it is mounted Mark. The early dash touted setup operated a drum brake on the output of the transfer case and was fairly easy to pull so the dash setup didn't need much leverage to be efficient. The later floor mounted setup operates the rear brakes on the rear axle. This setup needed more leverage and a whole lot of cable to operate. So, you can relocate the lever pretty much where you want, so long as it is mounted securely when you are done. Switching to disk brakes will create a whole other issue for you as you will have to use the rear calipers (post 78) as your ebrake. You can do that but You will most likely need to fabricate most of what you will need. My advice is learn to like it where it is if possible.

What up gentleman!

Thanks for the help! Sounds like i need to find something pre 78, shouldn’t be an issue.

Also in regards to fabricating parts that’s no prob out here either. There’s tons of guys with real world experience who can make something out of nothing. I’ll post some pics of a gen 1 pajero 5door converted to a two door pick up with the most basic tools in a shop we wouldn’t even consider worthy of storing our vehicles. Crazy what they are capable of.

I hope to apprentice with the same guy who worked on the pajero while working on my 40 and other vehicles i may come across.

3FE6056D-57DB-4BE0-B4A7-8A1C31A8FA0D.jpeg

92D0ABF8-2232-4420-B3EA-6336EB13E894.jpeg

A9051AB1-A44F-4535-9B27-EF41D070C888.jpeg

9D93E431-768F-40D1-94B2-AB7720BAFF53.jpeg

17BB7A05-EC6C-4919-A7E2-61E27DD2299A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom